TT Bike

Convince me why I need one

21 to 40 of 57 messages
M...eldy    pirate
11/11/2012 at 21:45

IMO ,.... you would get more out of a turbo trainer than a TT bike in terms of conversion to race pace
Turbo will get a lot of use through the winter and a TT bike wouldn't  

Stoatally Different    pirate
11/11/2012 at 21:59

Of course the best option then is a TT bike and a turbo. Turbo through the winter on the TT bike to get an improvement in speed and an aero position

bburn plO.dder    pirate
11/11/2012 at 22:09
Yeah Matt, when I win the lottery !!!!
11/11/2012 at 22:10

What`s the deal with TT bikes and long races such IM or HIM.  I can see the obvious advantage over 40km, but over 112miles or even 56miles is it hard/umcomfortable to maintain the position in a TT bike, therefore a road bike is better.

Doner Kebab    pirate
11/11/2012 at 22:18
Unless they can hold an aero position for a long time most would be better off with a road bike as it has more positions and easier gear changing but I urge everyone to get a the most expensive TT bike they can afford because it makes me feel so much better when I pass them on my piece of shit.
11/11/2012 at 22:26

If the TT bike is right size and correctly fitted, why would it be uncomfortable?

11/11/2012 at 22:31

A TT bike is clearly the worst option - that's why everyone that is any good has one - they want to make it more of a challenge for themselves.   

Doner Kebab    pirate
11/11/2012 at 23:26
Well what I meant was that if you can't get in the aero position for a good portion of the race you are limiting yourself to one hand position. Which will become uncomfortable after 60miles.
Dustboy    pirate
11/11/2012 at 23:43

I think I'd find one hand position uncomfortable after 60 miles even in a Eurofighter Typhoon. LOL.

But they look cool as anything.

Doner Kebab    pirate
11/11/2012 at 23:51
I keep toying with the idea but I always cone back to the same thing, would I use it to its full potential at the minute. I'm fit but only averagely, if I wait another year something better will be out at the same pricepoint and then if be getting more baangs for my buck. I do like the shiv and the new cannondale slice rs and the PX exocet but then I think about 3k spent on kebabs and pizza, and I'm afraid the crap good wins
Golden Boots    pirate
12/11/2012 at 06:59
Dreaming Of Magic wrote (see)

What`s the deal with TT bikes and long races such IM or HIM.  I can see the obvious advantage over 40km, but over 112miles or even 56miles is it hard/umcomfortable to maintain the position in a TT bike, therefore a road bike is better.

I wouldn't say that is the case for everyone DoM... I find my TT bike more comfortable than my two road bikes and am much faster.... I did do most of my training including turbo sessions on the TT bike though last year which definitely helped

Doner Kebab    pirate
12/11/2012 at 08:23
I know nothing of biking really, but why don't Road racers use TT bikes if they are superior to road bikes, I get the implication of hills but surely there's more to it
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
12/11/2012 at 08:28
It's not allowed in races DK
Stoatally Different    pirate
12/11/2012 at 08:35
Road racers draft and there's no aero advantage when drafting. They use an aero position when they can by altering their position.
Similarly at the Olympics triathlon they can draft so they use road bikes with stubby aero bars.
The rest of us in tri are treating it as a proper time trial hence trying to eke out every advantage
That's my interpretation anyway
Doner Kebab    pirate
12/11/2012 at 08:40
Has any average rider got any stats on their rides over the same course using both types of bike? I know they say it CAN save xx seconds but in the real world how much does the average Jo save?
Rafiki    pirate
12/11/2012 at 09:08

DK - I used to ride to work - 29.7 miles, with two hills (part of the Challenge Henley course). I used to average 1hr:35 on my road bike - best time 1:33.45. On the TT average time was 1:26, best time 1:23.45.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
12/11/2012 at 09:20
Doner Kebab wrote (see)
Well what I meant was that if you can't get in the aero position for a good portion of the race you are limiting yourself to one hand position. Which will become uncomfortable after 60miles.

That's a known problem at IM Florida which is so flat and straight that you end up on the tribars for very long periods without a break.  At other courses, even ones supposedly pretty fast & flat like Outlaw or Roth, there are enough hills and turns to give some natural breaks from the TT position.  You still need to practise long turns down on the bars though, or you'll be struggling pretty quickly.  If that happens, you lose the aero advantage of the bike and you might as well be on a road bike.

12/11/2012 at 11:39
Rafiki wrote (see)

DK - I used to ride to work - 29.7 miles, with two hills (part of the Challenge Henley course). I used to average 1hr:35 on my road bike - best time 1:33.45. On the TT average time was 1:26, best time 1:23.45.

Sounds pretty conclusive. Over 112 miles that would translate to 34 minutes of a difference. Not to be sniffed at! And I don't think riding aero is awkward at all. I much prefer TT bars to road bike ones.

IronCat5    pirate
12/11/2012 at 12:06

Plus, due to the steeper seat angle you run better off a TT/tri bike. When cycling it is almost like pushing back on the pedals rather than down.

Rafiki    pirate
12/11/2012 at 12:16

But more importantly still - they look soooo cool!!

21 to 40 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.