TT Bike

Convince me why I need one

1 to 20 of 57 messages
bburn plO.dder    pirate
09/11/2012 at 16:58
I have been offered a gorgeous looking Felt TT bike by my LBS at a end of year discount. Owner is an old friend so I know he won't sell me anything unsuitable and will ensure fit is right etc etc But, why do I need one (I want it just because.....), but with clip on tri bars currently on my roadie, how can I justify it to myself and more importantly OH????
The Silent Assassin    pirate
09/11/2012 at 17:01

because its pretty and it makes you go fast, nothing to do with the rider, all about the bike

The Silent Assassin    pirate
09/11/2012 at 17:01

sorry, Jo upgraded from standard road bike to TT bike and the she recons the difference is amazing

09/11/2012 at 17:03

'just because' is a great reason! Mine is about 10% quicker than my road bike. If that's worth the price tag then go for it if its a decent discount you could prob sell it on in a year or 2 without losing much.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
09/11/2012 at 17:06
This is exactly what I want to hear )

My only concern except the obvious cost if that it's pretty hilly round here, but if it makes me faster on normal terrain, then mmmm very tempted
TheEngineer    pirate
09/11/2012 at 17:14

It's hilly, you say? Hmmm....

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/The_Physics_of_Moving_a_Bike_163.html

Read the two line conclusion

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/11/2012 at 07:23
And then read the bottom comment on that article. Once the hills get properly steep the aero advantages of a TT bike get negated. If you need to cover the brakes on the descent then you're losing aero efficiency there too.

That said, I love mine and I'd still get the Felt
TR
10/11/2012 at 10:53

you dont need one, I havnt got one, but if you want it then then get it. Simples.

cougie    pirate
10/11/2012 at 11:32
Where will you race though ? Don't get it to go faster in your training - tt bikes are best for racing on.
10/11/2012 at 13:24

They are a very expensive toy - especially when you budget for some decent wheels - probably £400 up if you go for PlanetXs or similar.  If you have the money though why not - you can't take it with you and a properly fitted TT bike with a competent rider will be faster even on technical hilly courses. 

Like Cougie says though - they are all about getting your race times down - if that isn't important to you then probably not worth bothering.   

10/11/2012 at 13:55
If you didn't buy the bike would you still spend that money on going faster? If you spent that grand or whatever on a coach and swimming lessons I bet your overall time would reduce by more than that saved by a tri bike over a road bike.

But I would probably still buy the bike because I am a tart and like the bling!

Ps auto correct put swinging instead of swimming! Was tempted to leave it!
flyaway    pirate
10/11/2012 at 16:06

As cougie said - are you going to race it? Are you happy on aerobars? The entire point of a TT bike is that you are tucked, for

Dustboy    pirate
10/11/2012 at 17:52

Very seasonal Gladys - a mince tart!

flyaway    pirate
10/11/2012 at 18:00

Oh, 3/4 of my post has disappeared. It said something along the line of, if you are not happy and confident on aerobars, and fit enough (in your core) to stay there, then its probably technically a waste of cash. However, its also your money, and as long as you can afford to, you should spend it on what you want!

PSC    pirate
10/11/2012 at 19:49
I commute on mine. It looks the mutts nuts and turns heads on any high street. And it's quicker and lighter than my road bike.
10/11/2012 at 20:03
Dustboy wrote (see)

Very seasonal Gladys - a mince tart!

Doner Kebab    pirate
10/11/2012 at 20:55

if you really have to ask on here = you dont need one, you just want one

Running Postie    pirate
10/11/2012 at 20:57
Why not, go for it,I love my tt bike and have never regretted it. She lives in the house over winter, I know I'm sad!!!
Dustboy    pirate
11/11/2012 at 21:01

I want one too. I just do. But aI am at teh point of n+1 meets s-1. And I even sold an old bike recently.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
11/11/2012 at 21:19
I only have 1 bike, my roadie so on those grounds I can justify another bike. OH has 5, I think, at the last count!!!

I think it may have to be my Christmas present, although I was going to spend the money on a fancy turbo thingie where you can pretend you are in races and stuff like that
1 to 20 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.