TT Bikes in Duathlons/Triathlons

15 messages
01/03/2004 at 17:49

Just sorting out my duathlon schedule for the year and was wondering if I can use my TT bike (with gear levers protruding at the end of the aero bars) in duathlons, or does it depend upon whether it's a drafting or non-drafting event etc. I remember reading somewhere that for tris the aero bars needed to be closed to prevent any damage to fellow competitors in the event of a collision, or something like that!

Is the policy for all duathlons/triathlons, or on a per event basis? If the latter, is it simply a matter of contacting the event's organisers, or is there some secret code I should look out for in the event description?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ta.

cougie    pirate
01/03/2004 at 17:56
Erm, in my huuuge experience of Tris & Duathlons - (so pretty limited) it shouldn't be a problem ?

I think it's only the elite where they allow drafting, so you wouldn't be able to play with them there.
01/03/2004 at 21:52
I think the ITU/BTA rule banning these was rescinded for last season so you should be OK.
01/03/2004 at 22:11
multi, you'll need to get into the water at some point
02/03/2004 at 09:41
You can now use bar end shifters in tri/duathlons the ban on split end bars has been rescinded as of last year.
02/03/2004 at 09:43
but sometime if you deliberately ram people whilst climbing, it can inadvertently shift you onto the big chain ring, so be careful
cougie    pirate
02/03/2004 at 09:45
That could liven things up.

How do we fit those rotating pointy things on our hubs a la Ben Hur, and would it interfere with Quick Releases d'ya think.
02/03/2004 at 09:49
and can we carry those olde-stylee bike pumps with the rubber tube bit on the end, and use them to whip each other as we pass, like the baddies in ben hur?
cougie    pirate
02/03/2004 at 09:54
And then we could take our old fashioned braces off our cycling shorts and fashion sling shots out of them...

02/03/2004 at 09:59
its not very bronze age, but we could make flame throwers out of squeezy drinks bottles and petrol
02/03/2004 at 13:57
or you two could just get out more.
cougie    pirate
02/03/2004 at 14:11
Now who's being silly eh ! ;-)
02/03/2004 at 15:29
ooo i used my bar ends in hereford duath last year. got away with it though :OD
18/06/2004 at 09:25

Ok, now that we've established that TT bikes are legal(ish) in du/triathlons, what factors should one consider when deciding whether to use a TT bike or a conventional road bike?

I can appreciate a TT bike would be a disadvantage in a drafting and possibly more tactical race, but if it's a non-drafting race and you're more less 'riding your own race' what do you do?
cougie    pirate
18/06/2004 at 09:29
I'd say how hilly is the course. If there is lots of climbing, the extra weight of tribars and stuff prob outweighs the aero benefits.

Ironbridge Tri has a huuuuge hill, so I used my road bike on it last year. This year I might try my Lo Pro to see which one is better.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.