TT or Road Bike

10 messages
15/05/2013 at 10:00

Looking for a bit of advice from some kind souls here. I'm looking to buy a buy to use for my first Ironman next year and was wondering whether it would be best to buy a TT/Tri bike or a Road bike. This bike will only be used for solo training runs and the Ironman itself so I was leaning towards the TT but as a novice cyclist I'm not sure. Any advice or even recommendations would be greatly welcomed.

cougie    pirate
15/05/2013 at 10:31
Which ironman ?

I would go for a road bike over a tt bike. Far more versatile for your training.

A tt bike is good for speed on a flat course but most people can't stay in the tri bats for 6 hours or so.

A road bike is much more suited for all the training you need to put in.
WildWill    pirate
15/05/2013 at 10:59

I have both and use both equally ... BUT if i didnt have a bike ... I would go for a road bike ...greater all round use

15/05/2013 at 11:03

yep - road bike which you can fettle for a tri with clip on tribars and deep rim wheels

when you are no longer a novice, THEN think about a TT bike

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
15/05/2013 at 11:04

+ 1 for what WW & FB say 

15/05/2013 at 13:49

If you're only going to have one bike, get a road bike.  A good road bike will do you for everything.

When you've got a road bike and using it regularly, then get a Tri bike

Remember two key rules in getting/owning a bike:

1) The best bike is not the most shiney or the most expensive or the most aero - it's the one that fits best (especially for Ironman)

2) The optimum number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes you currently own...

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
15/05/2013 at 13:57
Timmy_G wrote (see)

If you're only going to have one bike, get a road bike.  A good road bike will do you for everything.

When you've got a road bike and using it regularly, then get a Tri bike

Remember two key rules in getting/owning a bike:

1) The best bike is not the most shiney or the most expensive or the most aero - it's the one that fits best (especially for Ironman)

2) The optimum number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes you currently own...

What he said..

TT bikes while nice arent a one stop shop like a road bike, if youve just got the one bike and its a TT bike its not going to be much fun for winter riding, group rides, easy rides with mates, sportive or hilly training rides.

15/05/2013 at 15:35

Make it a road bike suitable for clip on tri bars though.  Normal shape bars, not with a high sportive type front, ideally a steeper seat tube angle etc.

16/05/2013 at 09:18

Many thanks for the responses. I do have an old road bike that I'll be using for winter runs as it's a good solid aluminium frame beast but I could do with something lighter and more of a proper size compared to my height. Seems a good road bike would be the most logical investment from reading the responses. 

Good thing I'm at work so I can browse online for a new bike.

Cheers all

16/05/2013 at 10:11

and before you buy, try a few for fit and feel. getting the fit right is key and you can only really do that by talking to a decent bike shop and getting measured.  by changing things like stem length, crank length, saddle position, bar height etc you can then get a very good setup for you.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.