turbo trainer or spin bike

21 to 32 of 32 messages
The Silent Assassin    pirate
17/09/2010 at 16:49
R.P soon to be T.P wrote (see)

so next question... whats the best turbo trainer?

All depends on how much you want to spend

they range from £100 to several thousand

Running Postie    pirate
17/09/2010 at 17:06

lets say... £100 to £150

TR
17/09/2010 at 17:09
It was the Tacx Sirius when I bought mine approx 2 yrs ago.
Running Postie    pirate
17/09/2010 at 17:40
TR I had a look at that, is it really noisy and do you still use yours?
TR
17/09/2010 at 20:57

Not sure how noisy it is compared to others, I use it in the garage so it doesnt matter. I think teh reviews said it was quiet.  I use mine probaly twice a week in the summer (ride outside sometimes) and 5 times a week in teh winter. Its teh best ~ £100 I've ever spent on sports kit.

I would add that I paid extra for the cable that allows you to change the resistance, but you dont need that option you just chanage gears on the bike to alter the resistance.

Look it up on Wiggle and read the reviews from the magazines.

Edited: 17/09/2010 at 20:58
18/09/2010 at 09:08

I have a Cycleops Mag, pretty basic but does the job.

I would suggest that you have a training wheel otherwise you are going to go through your race tyres in short fashion.

I know some people have DVDs, watch TV or listen to music to break the boredom - or you could dress an inflatable doll in cycle gear and put it on a bike in front of you then you can have a pursuit - woops sorry wrong forum

Used to do spin classes in my old gym, the instructor was a cyclist so no handlebar pushup nonsense, lots of high resistance, some sprints but most in max effort at 60-90 rpm. Would then follow immediately with a a 5K treadmill run so got a brick session in as well.

TR
18/09/2010 at 09:21

I have one bike and one wheel and tyre. Tyre use a Vittoria Rubino tyres - they last me about a year, but its not a race tyre - although I do race on em.

18/09/2010 at 09:48
Unfortunately mine cost £50 a go so I use a cheap one for the trainer, might look into a Rubino as the Michelin I have is about to turn to thread - thanks for that TR
TR
18/09/2010 at 11:24
they're only about £12 from wiggle (the ones that come in different colours), you'll be able to turbo on one all winter no probs.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
18/09/2010 at 11:37
fat buddha wrote (see)
I can't understand why people use turbos in summer though - just get out and ride

Because the missus isn't back from work, and leaving the house with the kids asleep in bed and the oven on tends to be regarded as irresponsible these days.

Agree with the sentiment though - I'd rather be outon the roads.

Running Postie    pirate
18/09/2010 at 17:36
I did think a tturbo trainer tyre would be a smart move. Just have to part with the readies now.... the hard bit
19/09/2010 at 21:18
TTrainer easily!  You need to simulate same position you will be in during races as much as possible.  Although saying that, make sure you have a towel or sweat-catcher on the bike during the long winter rides.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.