Turbo trainer

Boring, boring boring

1 to 20 of 47 messages
11/11/2003 at 14:12
There's ice on the roads, so my bike is now attached to the turbo trainer . And having spent 130 squid on it, I've got to use it. So ...

I can cycle for one to three hours 150-160 bpm, or until I fall asleep with boredom.

Or I can go b****x out for 40 minutes at 165-185 and then have to crawl to the bathroom.

Or I could go on pretty much all day at 135-145 bpm

But TURBO TRAINERS ARE BORING!!!! Even going fast is quite tedious. I have the turbo trainer in front of the telly, I've even got a DVD player, but I've never been a great TV watcher, so don't find them particularly distracting.

How can I make a winter of turbo training more exciting?

Boys (and girls) your help is needed!!!!
cougie    pirate
11/11/2003 at 14:20
Lizzy Lizzy Lizzy.

3 hours on a Turbo is madness !

I use the Pete Read training manual (look in cycling weekly for the ad).

Sessions there are typically less than an hour. The longest one is probably about 40 minutes at your Level 2 heart rate - so that's pron that first session for you.

The rest is different intervals. The sessions are only short, but boy are they tiring. They'll make a world of difference to you.
11/11/2003 at 14:26
Thanks Coug!

Never done the three hours actually (ooops,caught exaggerating again), that's just what I would do if I had the mental tenacity and whatsitness to stay on a turbo trainer for three hours ...

I looked in Cycling Weekly (yup, we have it here on subscription so that we can salivate over the pictures of bikes...) and can't find the ad for the Pete Read training manual anywhere but maybe I'm just being dim...

So, sounds like Mr Read recommends short and hard. Oooer missus ....
11/11/2003 at 14:32
intervals and varying heart rate training intensity is the way to go with turbo's I agree totally with Cougster...
11/11/2003 at 14:32
or get a mountain bike and go out in all weathers too!!!
cougie    pirate
11/11/2003 at 14:33
Yeah - but that would be madness MMmmmm ! ;-)

I'll try and dig out his address from a back issue. It's only a little ad.
11/11/2003 at 14:35
Pete Read website is at

http://www.cyclecoaching.com/

btw
you can always wheel the TV in and watch endless Tour De France Videos during your 3 hours on the turbo trainer
cougie    pirate
11/11/2003 at 14:35
Google is ace !

http://www.cyclecoaching.com/

I prefer the blue book over the Annual Manual one.

cougie    pirate
11/11/2003 at 14:36
Darn, pipped by 2 seconds.
11/11/2003 at 14:37
I used a turbo trainer once. But after 37 seconds I had to go and kill the rest of the family.
11/11/2003 at 14:37
Twinkler - you haven't seen our weather where I live!!!!!!!

Lovely sheet ice today!

I've got a mountain bike (quite a good one, so I'm told) but never ride it. The rather pathetic excuse is that after 40 minutes my wrists are agony. Keep meaning to get some of those 'sticky uppy' MTB handlebars but haven't quite got round to to it.

Not helped by the fact that I am a confirmed road biker and find MTBs a bit, well, er, slow and bouncy ....

...ooops
11/11/2003 at 14:38
Oooh, thanks for the links, boys.
11/11/2003 at 14:44
Lizzy...

Take yer mtb off the road.. its where it belongs! and then point it downhill and slow and bouncy it ain't!! Hurty wrists sounds like bad positioning.. move yer saddle for and aft and experiment.. and maybe twist yer brakes 'down' a little too... The no' of peeps I see with brakes horizontal to their bars...!!

11/11/2003 at 14:48
Twinkler - Just looked at my MTB.

All I can say is 'ooops'....

Thanks
cougie    pirate
11/11/2003 at 14:49
Amazing how many shops send them out like that. DOh !

Ideally you want straight wrists when riding Lizzy. Wrists bent at 90 degrees aren't v comfy.
11/11/2003 at 14:58
aye,
Cougster is right... (again) get the brake bars to follow the natural contours of yer arms as the go down to the bars so you have 'straight' hands to arms sort of thing...
cougie    pirate
11/11/2003 at 15:01
I keep telling peeps this in my spinning class. And keep the elbows 'soft' - don't lock them out.

Do they listen ? Naaaaaah !

Good spot on the levers Mmm - from 100's of miles away as well !
11/11/2003 at 15:04
Spooky!

Now, can he use his psychic powers to tell me the setup I have on my road bike...?

BTW it´s different from the one in the piccy!
11/11/2003 at 15:12
hum... more tough... but a wild stab I'd say shimano more than campag... 8sp or 9sp. Lets go with 9!

I prefer my bull horns to racing drops..

But it really is best to see these things and then 'fit' the bike to you...
11/11/2003 at 15:17
(shiver) Toooooooo spooky!!!!!
1 to 20 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.