turbo trainers

advice required (shock)

21 to 40 of 44 messages
24/07/2013 at 21:13
UltimateBadger wrote (see)

@FF - they are expensive but I will be upgrading to the KK RR this winter for definite. They do hold their value very well on the 2nd hand market if that's any help.

Cheers, I hadn't thought of the 2nd hand market for a KK RR - my old turbo is too rusted up to even consider a resale, but is not of the same quality... Will take a look after the summer.

24/07/2013 at 21:46

I got a Cycleops trainer, plus training mat and riser block, rrp of £350+, for £74 off ebay.  It had been used just once and was mint.  Guy said it was too noisey in his flat.  Keep an eye out.  Just the sort of item people buy with good intensions and hardly use.

24/07/2013 at 21:58

I flogged my Cycleops mag trainer online a week ago and threw in the riser for £75 having bought a Tacx VR thing on fleabay the week before with a few DVDs.  I can recommend Trainer Road, for $10 a month through the winter it's ace.

25/07/2013 at 09:03

if anyone has got a turbo they dont use or want then i would happily take it off there hands.

been looking on ebay and havent found anything eve vaguely cheap second hand

Cake    pirate
25/07/2013 at 12:12

Budjude keep looking I bet within a week or so someone will be clearing out there garage.

25/07/2013 at 12:54

Decathlon do a good one with great reviews, can't remember the name but they fly off the shelf, I went to get one earlier this year but the kept selling out, I still haven't got one yet so can't comment first hand.

I like the idea of getting the dvd's to go with the turbo's so it looks like your in the Tour de France, I'd have to put it on rewind to make out I'm winning.

Darkness    pirate
25/07/2013 at 13:03

I am surprised we haven't had the rollers vs turbo debate yet.  I use a set of Kreitler rollers which I would recommend.  Definitely less tedious than a turbo but admitedly not so good for low cadence efforts.   

25/07/2013 at 13:07

i dont think i cope watch the dvd's - it probably wont go slow enough - i would be behind all the team cars and support crews

25/07/2013 at 13:21

I'd watch the DVD's as a spectator

The Evil Pixie    pirate
26/07/2013 at 12:07

I have an old Cyclops TT and used it a lot in the winter. As I have 650s which are a pain to get tyres for I also forked out for a new wheel. 650s don't seem to come as a turbo tyre too so I bought 1 harder compound one and when that dies I will replace with the road ones that I've just changed.

I have troubles with resistance - not sure if that's me or the old TT. Some peeps say change gears to make a difference but I don't seem to notice much difference?

I use mine in the garage with door half open for air - at 5am it's not too hot.

I have previously used music including the Chrissy Wellington audio fuel set but I'm thinking of getting a sufferfest download for my ipod touch

The majority of my training is before work in the week so having the bike stuck on the TT is not an issue and means I am more likely to use it TBH

26/07/2013 at 12:37

there do appear to be some on ebay at the moment - so i might splash some cash now and then use it in the winter. just hope i dont end up missing to many nice (ish) days of riding by having it set up for 4 months at a time.

26/07/2013 at 12:40

I’m a huge fan of the Trainerroad soft wear.

Using virtual power and the workouts TR provide helps take my turbo time from ineffective mental torture to effective mental torture. Because of that (and the great big floor fan I purchased) I’m actually pretty good at using the turbo consistently in winter these days.

If I was looking at buying a new turbo I would look on the TR list of supported turbo’s and buy one from that list.

I use a Minura b60R, it’s cheap, reasonably quiet and doesn’t seem to resistance drift too much. 

26/07/2013 at 13:06

i dont have much mental capacity so dont really expect to many issues.

monkey see monkey do

30/07/2013 at 16:31
Budjude wrote (see)

if anyone has got a turbo they dont use or want then i would happily take it off there hands.

been looking on ebay and havent found anything eve vaguely cheap second hand

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycleops-MAG-Turbo-Trainer-/271248074836

Pudge    pirate
30/07/2013 at 17:03

Budjude, decathlon are regularly selling the TacX Satori for around £150.  Comes with a mat, riser block and DVD.

I thought it was a bargain so got one earlier this year.  Am very happy with it so far.

30/07/2013 at 17:27

What ever turbot you choose, I would give a massive thumbs up to the Sufferfest training videos. Loads of choice and sweat and pain guaranted. 

Running Postie    pirate
30/07/2013 at 18:24

+1 for sufferfest!

30/07/2013 at 18:50

Kurt Kinetic turbo's are on sale @ Planet X. Just picked up a brand new 'road machine' for £240.

01/08/2013 at 12:41

yeah i hear the sufferfest videos are a evil beast to use

01/08/2013 at 12:43

I have hopefully acquired a Tacx Sirius T1435 Turbo Trainer - just need them to post it out to me.

Got it including a mat and riser block for £100 - and looks in good nick (claim to have only been used once)

21 to 40 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.