UK IRONMAN Anyone?

1 to 20 of 137 messages
19/01/2012 at 00:09
Is anyone entering IM UK this year? I have just signed up and am fearing that that never ending hill that you have to ride over three times on the bike section of the course!

UK IM Facebook Group for anyone that is interested

Has anyone booked accommodation yet? I booked too late last year and ended up sleeping miles away - not ideal when you have to be up at 3 am for a 6am start lol
19/01/2012 at 11:08

I've entered it for the first time this year, only ever done one sprint in the past.

I live in Bolton and have just started to regularly ride up Shep House Lane, its about 600 feet incline over 2 miles according to my Garmin, I'm not finding it to bad at the moment but can't image how I'll feel climbing it on a third lap!

19/01/2012 at 11:09
2010, and the council but new chippings down on SheepHouse in the week before the race. Made it interesting
19/01/2012 at 11:16
Sheephouse is not that big a deal just a steady plod and dont overcook it on the first lap its well worth it for the descent on the other side wheeeee!
19/01/2012 at 11:28

Must admit, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as everyone made out * (I hadn't seen it til the day of the race)  The drop down into Belmont on the aerobars was amazing

* NB I do have a 29 tooth sprocket  fitted on my race bike ! 

Edited: 19/01/2012 at 15:10
21/01/2012 at 20:02
Hello. This is just the forum I was looking for. I have entered the 2012 UK Ironman. I do feel a little on my own with this. I have not done a triathlon before. I have some running experience. I am currently learning to swim confidently. Cycling, again a novice. I have just moved house, I am about to change jobs and about to become a Dad for the first time in March. Could be an interesting 6 months
Will listen to any tips, advice. Thanks
Dustboy    pirate
21/01/2012 at 20:47
Welcome, will indeed be an interesting six months!

Bike lots, bike more, then bike more, not forgetting to run a fair bit too and swim occasionally.

Sheep House Lane is a hill?
21/01/2012 at 21:28
Thanks DB. SHL sounds interesting. Really good to get an idea of the course beforehand. I had the pleasure of heartbreak hill at the Boston Marathon but with the right amount of mental and physical prep.it turned out ok...especially helped along with the locals. I doubt the sheep will be as vocal!
VT'd    pirate
21/01/2012 at 21:37

Welcome 2nd Chance. 

No advice from me as I'm in the same boat as a first timer, except I'm doing Outlaw, but good luck anyway.  The help for first timers on here is second to none. 

21/01/2012 at 21:57
Dustboy  wrote (see)

Sheep House Lane is a hill?

Bit of a bump really
Dustboy    pirate
21/01/2012 at 23:26
From memory, SHL is not far off Box Hill in Surrey which is a bit of a drag. Box Hill is about 6% ish. SHL does have the hairpin which is not dissimilar to Combe in Surrey (on the Olympic Course) but Combe is more savage at the end. A bit.

I found SHL the second time tough, by the third, I didn't care but it felt easier.
22/01/2012 at 09:10
I did IMUK as my first Ironman last year.  I'm no cyclist but I managed to get round the course without any problems.  Don't get hung up on  the hills - just go at your own pace and don't worry about what other folks are doing.  The support along Sheep House Lane is brilliant!
22/01/2012 at 12:18
Second chance you will find a lot of first timers and advice on the fink fr Outlaw thread introduce yourself on there  if you have any burning questions please feel free to ask
22/01/2012 at 20:29
Thank you RGB and others for initial advice. I shall check out outlaw/forums
01/02/2012 at 16:32
Certainly have chosen the easiest Ironman bike course according to this:

http://www.runtri.com/2010/07/toughesteasiest-ironman-triathlon-bike_13.html

02/02/2012 at 11:46
Second Chance wrote (see)
Certainly have chosen the easiest Ironman bike course according to this: http://www.runtri.com/2010/07/toughesteasiest-ironman-triathlon-bike_13.html

? UK is listed at the top which would suggest the hardest but the list is the average length of time to complete rather than 'how hard'

Average time to complete depends on the ability of the people taking part rather than the difficulty of the course itself

02/02/2012 at 12:38
I agree. Conditions on the day obviously another factor. However looking at it may make me train even harder should time permit!
07/02/2012 at 17:51

Sheep House Lane - as various people have already said, it is not the worst hill in the world BUT it can catch you out the first time around. It is, in effect, three hills/sections with a slight easing between each section - but you cannot easily see sections 2 & 3 until you have got to the top of the first section.
You could spot the people who didn't bother doing a recce - they bombed up the first section before grinding to a halt as they went around the bend (I saw one chap ironically wearing a polka dot jersey having to get off and walk after overcooking it on the first section).
So, take it easily and you will do it easily.

(If you've done Sherborne - SHL is a bit like three Lyon's Gates in a row. You will also see a Babylon Lane but on the bike loop rather than the run.)

Triva 1 - on the way out from the swim to the main bike loop, you pass an old Barr factory. And Barr make Irn Bru...

Triva 2 - on the run, especially around the finish area, you may see elephant carvings. You will not be hallucinating...

17/02/2012 at 22:55

Ok, having faffed around for months, I've finally done the deed & booked.  Obviously, not done a triathlon before, but it can't be too hard can it?

Anyone booked onto the preparation day on Sun 3rd June......?

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
18/02/2012 at 14:02
Promoting this thread above the SpamBot
1 to 20 of 137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.