Unsuccessful to get in VLM again !!!

Is it still five rejections and guaranteed the next time?

1 to 20 of 31 messages
26/09/2013 at 16:31

Do they still guarantee entry on sixth application? Can't find anything on it this time but i am sure they used to?

also any recommendations for another marathon around the same time (give or take a month) ?

26/09/2013 at 16:43

They used to but it's been phased out. It's pot luck now I'm afraid.

Edited: 26/09/2013 at 16:44
MTri    pirate
26/09/2013 at 16:56

Pot luckindeed, year eight for me, still waiting to find out

26/09/2013 at 17:01

If you're willing to raise money then Brighton still has some charity places.  Milton Keynes is early May (3 weeks post VLM).  The MK route is being changed (again) this year so I don't know the specifics, but there's no real hills (but quite a lot of underpasses).  I think Stratford is normally the same weekend as VLM- I've not done it but have heard good things about it.

26/09/2013 at 17:20

Well I didn't get in not too worried am sure there are othere thingses in the works

seren nos yn canu    pirate
26/09/2013 at 17:23

Llanelli is the best

26/09/2013 at 18:19

Snowdon is a wonderful marathon I loved it, London is a great race but h had a very lucky run in the late 80s/early 90s with 7 ins out of 8 but a couple were GFA in the end i got bored and wandered off into tri its only the last 4 years i have had the urge to run London again but 4  kickbacks so far ho hum cant moan

26/09/2013 at 18:37

Where do you live?

Your name should be a give a way, but I'm a tattoed scotsman and lived in England for a while.

Depending how far you want to travel there are  a few marathons around the same time.

Paris is the week before and if you enter early enough you would get a place.

Edinburgh is in May and again you should be ok for a place if you enter soon.

Good luck.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/09/2013 at 18:53

I've always wondered just how many of those places are really available through the ballot - how many places go to celebrity runners, all British athletic clubs, the charities, and tour companies in other countries. I know about the tours because living in Germany, out of the 6 times I've run London I've twice booked a tour with guaranteed start number. The downside is you have to travel on a scheduled flight and stay in an expensive hotel but you do have a tour guide and a bus to take you to the start on race morning instead of struggling to get on the Tube. Foreign competitors are charged more for entry to the race so it ends up being fairly expensive. The other times I got in once with a GFA, twice through the ballot, and once as a team member for Flora when they were still sponsoring the race. Won't do it again. I prefer the Berlin marathon.

26/09/2013 at 19:01

thanks for the suggestions and I am living in West Wales now so most places are a long way away ! it will have to be UK for me next year as already spent enough on entry fees, accommodation etc.

Edinburgh is tempting as can sell it to the wife with some time away from home!

26/09/2013 at 19:27

I've got a place at FLM!  Thought I'd use it as useful training for Nice!    Not that I do much training!!

26/09/2013 at 19:56

I'm very pleased to say I didn't get in so i can do the pirate half now ????

MTri    pirate
26/09/2013 at 20:27
Got home to a 'sorry' mag
26/09/2013 at 21:03

Got home to a 'You realise 99% of our spots are for charity places, and you have next to no chance of ever getting accepted because its full of applicants who have no intention of ever running a marathon unless they can get on TV'

(it was quite a lengthy headline)

26/09/2013 at 22:59

My first time at VLM in 2010 was after 5 failures with a guaranteed entry on 6th.  This was also the last year of the guaranteed scheme - guess they were getting too many who were simply waiting for the sixth year to get a place like me.  

I did Paris and Edinburgh when I had previously failed to get into London - both great races and better weekends away with my wife.

Dustboy    pirate
27/09/2013 at 09:38

Nope, that's nine rejections in a row now.

Go Siggy! Sub 4!

The Silent Assassin    pirate
27/09/2013 at 10:32

Well done Siggy

Still think the Pirate DIY half IM is better training for Nice

Rafiki    pirate
27/09/2013 at 10:38
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Well done Siggy

Still think the Pirate DIY half IM is better training for Nice

You mean you'll be serving French wine at the aid stations then??

27/09/2013 at 11:22

Also rejected.

Having complete Berlin in 2010, I'm also on their mailing list and it would seem their also heading in the direction of a ballot.  Hopefully not and money grabbing* and biased as VLM.

I ran it last year for RAF Benevolent Fund as they needed to fill space left by last minute drop out.  They told me the charge for charity slots were £500 for a silver bond and up to double that for a gold bond (annually guaranteed entries).  On the basis VLM "offer" 25,000 places to charity their coffers start with at least £12m+ a year.

Whilst I appreciate there is great cost in organising such a huge event in a capital city, the cost to charity is galling.  I'd take my stream of rejection magazines far better if I knew the 25,000 places set aside for charities, allowed them the very best opportunity to maximise their fundraising by being charged a reasonable amount, perhaps akin to that paid by the three and half ballot entries that are accepted annually!

27/09/2013 at 11:26

Sub 4 with my knees Dusty?!!  Ha!  Ha!  I managed sub 4 on the first one I did and then I stopped doing the 'training' so haven't been close since.  And that was over 10 years ago!!

I think I agree with you SA.  I've done London 3 times already!  So I am in a quandry!

Indeed Raf, in a waiters outfit!    You get offered wine going around the Paris Marathon!  But only in *very* small beakers!  It took about five to get just one glass worth a few years ago!! "Oh non monsieur, pas un autre!"  That's the trouble with the Frogs, no sense of humour!!  

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.