Vachary Triathlon

Am I being a bit too optimistic?

21 to 40 of 53 messages
18/07/2013 at 14:08

yep - it is what it is and it's the same for everyone

be interesting to see how many DNS as it's non wetsuit - day down the beach instead!

18/07/2013 at 16:11

I'm doing this (middle) Would prefer a wetsuit swim as I like the buoyancy - oh well! My swim time certainly won't be anything to write home about...

18/07/2013 at 18:01

Are armbands allowed instead?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
18/07/2013 at 19:21

Slightly oddly, the organisers have posted on FB that at 24 degrees the decision on whether wetsuits are compulsory is down to the race referee.  I'm not sure that's true, other than in the generic sense that the BTA official can in theory override any rule if circumstances require it.  So if you get any irate competitors raging at your 'decision' FB, you'll know why.

19/07/2013 at 10:35

yes - the FB comment is a bit misleading

we can only override rules if there's a compulsive reason to do so and that override doesn't clash with another rule.

the BTF rule on wetsuits is clear - above 22C for a 1500m swim (23C for a 1900m) they are "forbidden".   as in - no, you can't wear one.  and frankly, if the water is that warm, then wearing one is dangerous due to overheating - and we have to make safety our paramount concern.

BTF officials do have the final call on this and we will decide on Sunday morning after we've taken the water temp.  

but it's looking very much like a non-wetsuit swim

Cheerful Dave    pirate
19/07/2013 at 10:57

So if you measure it at 23 degrees on sunday morning you could end up with the situation that the middle distance competitors are allowed wetsuits while the Olympic distance (and sprint) ones aren't?  I can see that going down well!

19/07/2013 at 11:29

yes - that thought has crossed my mind.....

I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed it will stay above 24...

19/07/2013 at 13:38

Just have a pee in the spot where you take the temp,  that'll keep it nearer to 24 degrees surely.

19/07/2013 at 13:46

sheesh - now Vachery have posted on their FB page suggesting people buy Zone 3 buoyancy shorts in case of wetsuit ban...

errrm - they aren't allowed - the key word there is "buoyancy" and no aids are allowed outside full wetsuits which were originally intended to provide warmth in cool water and nothing more - buoyancy was the side effect of the allowing of wetsuits

aaaaaaaaagggghhhh!!!!!!!!!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
19/07/2013 at 16:30

It'll be interesting to see if Zone 3 are pointing that out when they sell them tomorrow.

19/07/2013 at 16:52

are you racking tomorrow CD??

we should be there by 2pm to deal with any rules issues and to check the lay of the land out so look out for us if you're about....otherwise bright and early Sunday am....

Cheerful Dave    pirate
19/07/2013 at 17:13

I'll be there to register tomorrow but I'm a bit confused whether we have to rack tomorrow as well: the race info pack says that we do but we got an email saying that we don't.  I'd like to avoid it if I can as they've said nothing about overnight security but instead have said that they take no responsibility for any losses.

19/07/2013 at 17:28

yeh - that's a bit confusing.  I've only seen the race pack though and not the mail you refer to.

I guess with a lot of people staying on site camping - we're in our motorhome - then there'll be enough eyes around to keep an eye on things.

bring the bike along - at worst we can keep it in the motorhome garage although it night be tight as we'll have our bikes as well as we hope to get a chance to ride the course tomorrow afternoon to check it out.

20/07/2013 at 11:02

I'm doing the olympic distance tomorrow - my club are using the race as our championships. I'm camping tonight and taking Pimms - if anyone wants a glass then do pop over to say hello. 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/07/2013 at 18:49
fat buddha wrote (see)

yep - it is what it is and it's the same for everyone

Ironic that it wasn't (well, not for different races, anyway)

Nice to meet you Coops, hope you enjoyed it.  Nice going from Gladys too, shame you missed on a sub 6 but it was pretty good for an undertrained old bloke like yourself

21/07/2013 at 19:08
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Ironic that it wasn't (well, not for different races, anyway)

I bet that made it fun for FB!

The question is how many did it with wetsuit where it was optional? 

And how did you get on CD?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/07/2013 at 19:22

There were a few in my wave who either chose not to wear one or hadn't brought it expecting a non-wetsuit swim, but most chose to wear one.

I did OK, 36 minute swim which is a PB for me, 2:29 bike (I think it was a bit short but there were 2 climbs of Leith Hill) and a 1:24 half marathon, with transitions for 4:33 which is a HIM PB but as I say, the bike was a bit short.  Enjoyed it though.

22/07/2013 at 11:31

well done those who did Vachery yesterday - especially the middle guys who got the heat of the day on the run..

bloody busy old day for me and Petal and the other 2 BTF officials, not helped by allowing wetsuits for the middle and banning them for the shorter distances - but rules is rules....

this has the chance to become a very good event - they just need to tidy up a few things on the organisational side and it will become very good.  good venue, good courses and a nice (warm) lake if a tad weedy in places.

good to see CD, Gladys and Mr Monic and Jaffa (marshaling). ACoops - I assume you were with the Windrush lot competing??

and if anyone is around, we will be back there on 8th September for XTERRA - I'm racing ad Petal will be one of the BTF officials.  she won't be the head one though as it's a National championship event and we aren't qualified (yet) to be in charge of those.    

Edited: 22/07/2013 at 11:38
Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/07/2013 at 12:11

Well I thought the officiating/umpiring/refereeing was top notch.  Interesting to see some of the things you guys have to deal with.

Since you mention the weeds, it was quite bad in places.  I appreciate they can't clear the whole lake, but maybe they could have done something about the strip along the buoys as you head the last 50m to the swim exit: that bit I found particularly bad.

22/07/2013 at 12:14

CD - I was told that the owner of Vachery is investing in what is basically and underwater mower to help get rid of weed problems.  we shall see if that happens though...

and those "weeds" as you finish are water lilies.... 

21 to 40 of 53 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.