Vachery Triathlon - Cranleigh

Aug Bank Hol Tri Festival

81 to 100 of 134 messages
24/08/2012 at 07:52

No, my work spam/bacon filter lives inside my work laptop and follows me home, will have to borrow Mr F's iPad but then he will know I am in with a bad crowd.

25/08/2012 at 18:06

Is it too late to give me bike a trial ride, haven't had it out for about a year, or is this just things right the non training way?

IronCat5    pirate
25/08/2012 at 21:44

You'll be fine. Work it out tomorrow!

See you there.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
25/08/2012 at 22:08
You'll be fine....

The rain will even clean it for you!

See u tomorrow
25/08/2012 at 22:09

Registered this avo,  give yourself plenty of time in the morning there's a pretty full start list & don't forget a towel for your feet,  it looks like it could be a muddy run from the lake to T1.    See you in morning all.

25/08/2012 at 22:30
Jaffa what's the actual run looking Like?

Trial shoes or road shoes?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
26/08/2012 at 18:08

Well that was fun, wasn't it?  Great weather, decent course (apart from the steps halfway round the run lap, obviously) and a decent pirate turnout too.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
26/08/2012 at 18:26

Results are up on the racetimingsystems.com website.

M...eldy    pirate
26/08/2012 at 19:02

Nice work Pierights !!

26/08/2012 at 19:31
Slightly less grumpy now, nothing to do with the half bottle of wine at lunch.
26/08/2012 at 19:35
U were very pleasant and not at all grumpy HC, bet there's a lovely photo of us crossing the finish, grumpy and injured
meface    pirate
26/08/2012 at 19:52

Well I enjoyed it at least.

Swim - found a nice set of feet straight-off and stayed on them for the whole out leg. In hindsight they were maybe too easy to stay on but hey ho it was a nice easy out leg. Swam the first half of the back leg solo except for some lily pads and then found some more feet. Out the water in 32:20. 21:37/1000m compared to Outlaw at 19:05/1000. What can I say it was nice easy swim, the water was warm I really enjoyed it.

T1 - a couple of minutes

Bike - Normally my favourite part and I had some nice fast wheels courtesy of Cheerful Dave. Set off and passed a couple of bikes early on and then nothing for ages despite pressing on. Oh well field wasn't massive. Pedalled along, a few potholes and rough bits but given it is Surrey the roads were OK and they had marked the worst with orange spray paint.

Then back felt loose, and a puncture. Had some Pitstop with me but this did naff all but leak out the 5mm split. Time to change a tub. Tried to locate You-Tube on Garmin to watch 'How to change a tub' but musn't have had a signal. Anyway 20-minutes later I was back on the bike and away, legs felt stiff after the break and av.speed down to 13.8 (Yuk) Struggled onto the finish and overtook maybe 2-bikes after my delay.  It was later that Dave asked me when I had a puncture and was the bike slow afterwards, he had spotted the tub on the floot in T2 and investigated my tub fitting skills (I passed). However the brake block was rubbing nastily on the wheel for the last 12-miles.

18.6 mph up to puncture, 17.2 mph after the puncture and it wasted 19 minutes. Average speed 14.5 mph, moving average 17.6mph Outlaw was over 18mph

T2 - 01:22 Put my trainers on, headed out to hear Cheerful Dave announced on the Tannoy as finishing!

Run - Haven't done much recently and what I have hasn't been pretty. It showed. PB in a Tri for 10k is 48 minutes, this was 1:00:44. To be honest a better bike and I may have been willing to suffer more, but enjoyed it and even took some places on the run. A few lumps, a small flight of stairs and some tree routes.

Finished.

Have to say I still thoroughly enjoyed the day despite the awful result achieved through mechanical issues, not really pushing very hard in the swim and the run and being a stone heavier than I was for the Outlaw.

Great venue and with lots of events on and on-site camping is likely to be on the to-do list for next year.

26/08/2012 at 20:15
Google is no longer your friend Dave?

Hope your hands are ok Gastank, it looked pretty nasty from where I was looking. And thank you for the company :0D.
26/08/2012 at 20:30
Agree was a great day despite a bad day at the office for me!

In short - swim ok, not great I felt a bit wheezy, need to get fitter but no panic. Reverted to breastroke when required, apparently overtook Cat while doing so!

Then 1st disaster - got wetsuit zip jammed in wetsuit (new FFS!) and then had to wriggle out of a 4-5 inch opening, not pretty... Add a few minutes to swim time abd T1 - I would deffo get the list in transition award today - so my brief Cat whipping ended and I didn't see him until after incident number two

Bike - went well forgot to start polar, but top speed 32.5 mph and 18.7mph for the 8.54 miles I did measure, loved it, didn't get overtaken but did plenty of overtaking - time 32mins made up for my crappy 18 min swim (incl wetsuit gate)

Run - well very wet grass and lumpy at start, horrible and tricky underfoot, negoitated it fine, exitind muddy field onto Tarmac and lost footing - twisted ankle, went head over heals, damaged both hands, knees and ankle... lay around a bit got up, walked half a mile, waited for adrenaline to kick in and remove pain, carried on running. Caught HappyChap on final mile, and decided to run with her and have a nice chat, definitely the best bit of the run! - 31'55" awful but given tonight I can't walk, probably not bad

All things considered the best worst day at the office ever! As ever it's the pirates that make everything better - total time a rather embarrassing 1h28" not last but I had a bleedin good go at it. I please myself knowing that getting fitter and more practice will do wonders

(oh, and Cat says I need to stop making tea in transition)
IronCat5    pirate
26/08/2012 at 20:56

I had a great time!

Swim. Courtesy of WildWill's training thread I managed a 7:29 400m in the pool the other week. Today I just about managed 8:54, and felt like my heart was out of my body and really struggled to breathe. Goggles filled with water. Didn't really enjoy it. Saw GasTank breast-stroking past me . It was at this point my aim of 'smashing it' went out the window. It wasn't OW panic, as there was plenty of weed and company. Just pure inability to swim, and lack of warmup. Faster than Jaffa though! Aimed for 14min. 16:24

T1. Decided against the shoes on bike due to vast amount of grass and mud. Arms out of suit easy, but legs as struggle by the time I had run into T1. Almost forgot to put helmet on. 1:42

Bike. Ran to mount line, felt sick. Mounted and struggled to clip in due to mud on cleats. Eyes misty due to water in goggles. Followed bike far in front until I saw rpad signs. Made attempt not to T-bone CD at a roundabout. Spent next 29 minutes overtaking people, justifying the bling bike and twat hat. Feet out of shoes and ran over dismount line. Deliberately paced for 30min. 29:26 (32.6 kph/20.3 mph)

T2. Helmet off, trainers on. 0:49

Run. First km was tough, slightly uphill on water logged muddy field. Couldn't nail the pace I wanted. On to the tarmac section, heard some fast feet approaching and found out it was a sprint competitor. Same AG. Put some effort in. Got to off-road uphill bit. Very slippery and rooty. Then some steps. Then got faster but overtaken. Downhill round a corner onto tarmac, then uphill, then onto muddy waterlogged section. Across finish. Was hoping for 22min, though at times on the run I thought I'd struggle for 25min. 23:09 (7.5min/mi, 4.6min/km)

All in for 1:11:52. 22nd overall and 3rd in AG.

I high-fived GasTank on the run quite hard. Didn't know at the time he'd fallen and hurt his hand. Sorry!
Great venue and race. It was a pleasure racing with you all.

26/08/2012 at 20:58

Fantastic morning out,  great to catch up with the pirate possee, great event at a lovely venue (helped by the fact that the sun was shining brightly today)

Delighted to get to the start line with it having looked unlikely earlier in the week due to some seriously painful ribs.....there's a lot to be said for the healing properties of ibuprofen and arnica

Swim - Managed to get in the lake about 20 secs before the gun which left me in my standard swim position of at the back of the pack.....didn't really make any forward progress but a very pleasant swim to get out in just over 20 mins with about 50 secs to run to T1.

T1 - Went well,  having spent far too long messing around at Outlaw in T1 & T2 the plan was to get through asap on these,  just over a minute and a half spent (despite Toucs telling me to get a bloody move on) in there then a 30 sec trot to the start line.

Bike - The course was fairly easy so just got my head down and being a crap swimmer had most of the field to chase,  kept going past then which was really motivational and before I knew it was heading back towards the 30sec trot back from the dismount line to T2.

T2 - Reasonably slick (top 20% of age group) and a shout for the pirate top on the way out of T2 from the race commentary team.

Run - First 1k,  bat out of hell sums it up really,  then just latched onto a bloke from Farnham Tri and attempted to keep him in reach for the remainder of the run (took him about 400m from the line) .   Delighted with 3rd fastest runsplit for age group which makes me even more determined to spend the next 12 months working on my long gone speed.
Post race tea & toast included in race fee so it's a must do event for that alone.  Hope REP move it to a different weekend next year (like Mark mentioned earlier in the thread) as Bank Holiday has a pirate visit to France in the diary.  Good value,  good fun event at a great venue..........obviously helped by today's sunshine

PS  Oh yeah,  all credit to Gastank for recruiting some victims in the teatent & I'm sure I heard KateF agree to do an IM next year as well

M...eldy    pirate
26/08/2012 at 21:02

Nice reports guys!

Good to hear Kate is all but signed up. nice work guys  

26/08/2012 at 21:03
'twas a great day....

I think I'm going to focus on running and getting fitter with the time I have left before London - hope ankle recovers quick

Seriously dont know how I am going to get around an Olympic distance
26/08/2012 at 21:17

Kate has pirate written all over her,  ran a marathon yesterday,  bike out of the shed this morning pre race having not ridden it for a year,  misplaced timing chip before the race....it's a rocky road from there

Gas,  when is London? 

M...eldy    pirate
26/08/2012 at 21:19

Oh she is most certainly pirate material

Lanza or Henley ?? 

81 to 100 of 134 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.