Video Swim Analysis

Perhaps I'll get an answer this time if I start a thread on it!

1 to 20 of 34 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
04/09/2003 at 19:03
I've posed the question a couple of times to our swim experts on here but nobody's answered me. I'm thinking of going for a swim analysis session with videotaping and technique training, but it's fairly expensive so I wonder what our experts think about it? Will it help me? I'm a truly bad swimmer.
04/09/2003 at 19:51
Sorry, I can't help Ironwolf, but technique training sounds good. It's difficult to break bad habits so having someone coach you might give you big improvements.

Good luck if you go ahead!
WildWill    pirate
04/09/2003 at 22:08
I'm getting that done on my TI workshop - they do before and after videos

So i'm hoping it helps - cos as you say these things arnt cheep
05/09/2003 at 09:41
Ironwolf - yes it will help! (and sorry if I didn't answer before). By seeing yourself swimming it will highlight to you what and why coaches have pointed out to you in the past. eg you may think you swim with high elbows, but video analysis will possible show tha you don't and therefore when you get back into the pool you will be more knowledgable and be able to break it down easier in your head. Sorry if that is gobblygook I can't think how else to phrase it!

The only thing I would say is that one session won't be enough, you don't need the video analysis again but you should continue seeing a coach for a while as changing you stroke takes time and can be hard work, so someone continually emphasising where you need to work will help.
05/09/2003 at 09:43
IW, If you do a DIY job, you are more than wlecome to e-mail me the file (if you can get it made digital) and I will help as much as poss.
05/09/2003 at 10:37
swimming? <sob>
05/09/2003 at 10:44
i love swimming but my eyes don't, always sore by the end of the week.
05/09/2003 at 12:18
try goggles
05/09/2003 at 17:24
Thanks all - I've signed up for video analysis on 13th Sep, and then I'm going to join in with a local tri club's workouts. Can't hurt.
07/09/2003 at 20:26
Ironwolf

I found it really helpful, I always looked ok to the casual onlooker, which was frustrating as I knew I was rubbish. When I was looked at by a 'professional' and video taped, he was able to tell me that I really was rubbish! No, seriously, I found out that my above water was ok, my below water was useless - which I wouldnt have found out otherwise. I learnt a lot of things that I didnt know about swimming - I hope you find it helps. Let us know.
08/09/2003 at 12:27
(i always do use goggles! just have chlorine problems. itchy skin, sore eyes etc!!)
08/09/2003 at 12:29
Why sob, Daz?
08/09/2003 at 13:32
he's seen his analysis video?

:o*
08/09/2003 at 15:08
Moosey - i get the same, it could be either allergic rhinitus or sinusitus. I take flixonase spray (which you stick up your nose) which alleviates it (doesn't quite cure it with me though). The skin part - wash with e45 or similar and always moisturise.
08/09/2003 at 15:26
oooooooh will try.....
08/09/2003 at 15:31
I have always thought it can't be too healthy swimming in chlorinated water. I normally have a few sneezes after a swim.
08/09/2003 at 15:42
I would love a few sneezes. I could tear my eyes out with the itching, if i swim in the evenings then my nose gets so full of mucus i have to prop myself into a seating position otherwise i "drown" in it. I spend about 24 hours sneezing and itching everywhere.
When i used to swim 11 sessions a week as a kid i always had a "cold". Found out aged 22 i was allergic to chlorine.
Those pools with the uv filtering are great!!
09/09/2003 at 15:47
That's why I love outdoor swimming. During the winter, when our local pools close up the outdoor ones and force everyone to swim inside, I start sneezing as soon as I come out of the shower and it goes on for ages. Obviously there's more chlorine concentration in the inside pools, it must evaporate from the outdoor ones. Wish I lived in a place where you could do open water swimming all year round - unfortunately by October it's just too cold even in my wetsuit and I can't get back outside until around Easter.
09/09/2003 at 20:11
Oooh! I swim in the open air all the year round!

Come to Iceland, Ironwolf!

(mind you, the dash from the changing rooms to the pool in -20 in midwinter is a bit harsh!)
09/09/2003 at 20:48
Gissa job LizzyB and I'll be there!
1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.