Vitruvian 2013

Who's joining me?

21 to 40 of 140 messages
29/01/2013 at 10:05

Hi Ellie, if you have only limited time I would concentrate on the bike.  The swim you can muddle through and can always walk the run.  The bike course is a bit lumpy, so get as many hilly rides in as you can.  No need to panic you have months of summer riding before the Vit.  I live in east anglia which is flat as a pancake so I did go up and ride the course a few times before race day.  This helped my confidence a lot.  Don't worry though, it's not the Alps just a bit more undulating than we have around here.

02/02/2013 at 16:47
Thanks Hagakure! I am more than happy to focus my efforts on the bike....it is way more fun than running! We live in south Leics so thr terrain is not too disimilar to rutland. We have a couple of hills that have a similar gradient to the ripple, just not so long. Hubby likes to drag me out there for hill reps! will keep doing them for sure then... Thanks!
06/02/2013 at 11:51

Just in case its useful, there's a group doing open water swiming sessions actually at the location of the Vitruvian swim (Whitwell harbour on Rutland water) on Wednesday nights from May. http://inspire2tri.com/programmes/open-water-swimming-2/open-water-swimming-events-in-rutland-water for more details. I'll be down there, although the Vitruvian is out of my league this year!

Suffolk Punch    pirate
02/04/2013 at 15:22

Well hopefully the snow has all buggered off now and we can get on with our training.

Did some useful bike miles over the weekend and was frozen solid most of the time though I can't run at the moment as I have a calf injury - but this is improving and I hope to be running again by next week.

How is everyone else's training going?

02/04/2013 at 17:14
Thanks for that paperman .... may head over for a dip at some point befoere August.

Suffolk Punch .... Good work with the bike rides! My training is up and down abandoned a bike ride an hour in on Sun as it was so cold and windy. Did a short one today after 1.2 mile swim. Swim felt good but I just couldnt seem to be bothered to turn my legs on the bike, it was hard going and has put me in a bad mood!

I hope your calf injury clears up. I have painful calves too but im hoping its just a soreness that will pass... I got some new balance minimal shoes with the thinking being if I am ever going to improve my running form I may as well do it before I increase my mileage. After a chat with a coach I gave it a go. The first 8-10mins I felt as if i was flying, but then my calves started screaming and I made the mistake of carrying on for another 8 mins. (I know you are supposed to start slow at yhis rate it will be 2017 before I can run any distance!)
02/04/2013 at 17:17
But on a positive note I am now able to run up to 7km fairly easily with my cushy trainers and less knee pain. Want to try a 10km run later this week if my calves get mended!
02/04/2013 at 17:17
Thanks for that paperman .... may head over for a dip at some point befoere August.

Suffolk Punch .... Good work with the bike rides! My training is up and down abandoned a bike ride an hour in on Sun as it was so cold and windy. Did a short one today after 1.2 mile swim. Swim felt good but I just couldnt seem to be bothered to turn my legs on the bike, it was hard going and has put me in a bad mood!

I hope your calf injury clears up. I have painful calves too but im hoping its just a soreness that will pass... I got some new balance minimal shoes with the thinking being if I am ever going to improve my running form I may as well do it before I increase my mileage. After a chat with a coach I gave it a go. The first 8-10mins I felt as if i was flying, but then my calves started screaming and I made the mistake of carrying on for another 8 mins. (I know you are supposed to start slow at yhis rate it will be 2017 before I can run any distance!)
02/04/2013 at 17:18
But on a positive note I am now able to run up to 7km fairly easily with my cushy trainers and less knee pain. Want to try a 10km run later this week if my calves get mended!
02/04/2013 at 17:24

Drop me a line if you do come up, EllieO - we're 2 miles away and can provide a base if you want! You should be able to PM me through the forum.

02/04/2013 at 17:33
Thanks for that, I will let you know! There is OW swimming near us for most of our training but it would be useful to have 1-2 swims in Rutland -when (if) i warms up a bit!
Apologies for the multiple posts... no idea what was happening there!
10/06/2013 at 21:08

via Twitter Pacesetter just announced they'd released five more spaces - I've nabbed one.

Suffolk Punch    pirate
11/06/2013 at 09:08

Good for you PRW!

I finished the Little Beaver std tri on Sunday still carrying a slight calf injury which got progressively worse during the run. Hobbling around a little bit for now but hopefull to be properly running again soon.

I have Dambuster at Rutland in two week's time. at least I get a chance to swim in Rutland Water and the run is a little flater!

If you can get the practise, jump at the chance - I always feel more comfortable when I've already swum somewhere before competing there.

11/06/2013 at 09:17

I was lucky enough to race this in 70.3 in build up to IMFL 2011.  I was in cracking shape and good health back then and save for the very cold start, it was an awesome experience.  One I fear might taint having another crack at it this year (Jose Mourinho style).

Whereabouts in Suffolk are you Punching?  I will be using the 1% hills around Ipswich as practice for the Rutland ripple.  If you're nearby, let me know if you plan any weekend bike recces to Rutland and I'll make an effort to join.

Otherwise good luck at the Dambuster, I hope calf clears up by then.

11/06/2013 at 11:01

SP - me and Petal will see you at Dambuster then as we're racing on what feels like home turf having done the Vit 5x over the years.  I think Dermot and Plum are also racing.

as for the Dambuster run being flatter - eh??  it's the same as the Vit except you do the dam twice before heading back to the finish.

Suffolk Punch    pirate
11/06/2013 at 17:25

FB - yeah, yeah, yeah... I know what I meant...

See you at the Dam!

13/06/2013 at 20:44

How hilly is the run!? Hubby has done dambuster and he told me id be fine on the run as 'its nice and flat'. Is the Vit not the same run course? ....*panic*

Doner Kebab    pirate
13/06/2013 at 20:50

same course -  dont worry

13/06/2013 at 20:52

There's the tiniest of bumps in the first half mile of the loop, which you suffer from twice being a two loop run circuit but in the grand scheme of things it's nothing and the rest is flat, flat, flat.

14/06/2013 at 15:14

that little climb up from the lake to the finishing straight might only be about 20m long, but believe me, on lap 2 it will feel like Everest.  I hate that little bastard climb...

14/06/2013 at 15:42

Any enthusiasm for a bike recce on Saturday 29 June, 13 or 20 July?

I am roughly familiar with the route - which I presume has remained unchanged over the last few years - but would still like to remind myself what the 'ripple' feels like after 30+ miles of pedalling!

21 to 40 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.