What do you wear? (Ladies)

21 to 29 of 29 messages
11/06/2012 at 15:04
Wicked Witch wrote (see)

Do you all wear cycling shorts with cham, which ones are best.  I will try the no knickers.  My long ride yesterday was not very comfortable, couldn't wait to get into a nice warm bath when I got home.

Yes I always wear cycling / tri shorts with a chamois. Cycling shorts are, as you might imagine, a very personal thing. A bit like saddles. What works for one person may not work/suit the next. It's one of these things you just have to try. You might find the first ones you try out are perfect for you or they may not be!

Don't be blinkered into thinking you have to buy ladies specific gear, talking to a female assistant at my local bike shop she had had a look at the chamois on the men's and womens versions of the same shorts and reckoned they were identical. Personally I use men's 2XU tri shorts and Endura cycling shorts (depends on the distance of the race which shorts I go with)!

Trogs    pirate
11/06/2012 at 20:14

Can't be doing with proper cycle shorts, I just find them really bulky and uncomfortable. Have worn various makes of tri shorts at all distances up to IM and, while I wouldn't say I've been totally free of discomfort, they're a lot better than cycle shorts. 

Should also say I'm happy with my saddle and it's usually just my sit bones which get a little sore on longer rides (80+) but that probably has more to do with not doing enough longer rides to harden them up

<edit to add> Would never wear a trisuit in anything longer than a sprint - too much hassle in the (likely) need for pit stop.

Edited: 11/06/2012 at 20:17
20/06/2013 at 12:44

Hi Guys!

I'm new to triathlon & I'm trying to figure out what to wear. Reading this thread there's a lot of talk about bike shorts, and I'm confused. 

Do you wear bike shorts instead of Tri shorts? Or do Tri shorts have bike padding?

Do you wear them for the swim? Doesn't the padding soak up water? 

Do you wear them for the run? Isn't that uncomfortable?

if you only wear them for biking, do you just pull them on over your Tri suit?

Also can anyone recommend a quick drying sports bra?

Thanks for your help!

20/06/2013 at 12:58

I'll answer the bits I'm qualified to.  Tri shorts do have padding, but it's usually more minimal than regular bike shorts, so as to avoid the soaking problem and to make them comfortable for the run.  So you do the whole event wearing the same pair of shorts.  

20/06/2013 at 13:01

That makes sense. Thanks.

seren nos    pirate
20/06/2013 at 13:04

most sports bras should be quick drying......never had a problem with my shock absorber ones......

some peopel feel the need for more padding on the bike hence the bike shorts,.........but i always find less is best and the tri shorts are perfect for the whole event

20/06/2013 at 13:05

I got some mind body and soul sports bras from sports direct, they're cheap as they were the in house JJB brand before they went bust. They're just a polyester style fabric which means then don't soak up the water and they dry out quickly. They've been fine for the half distance and I shall use them for the full.  

My clothes  plans for outlaw are

Swim wetsuit and swim suit

Bike pirate Monaco, bra and assos bike shorts, sock and bike shoes. DHB Arm warmers and leg warmers added if cold and a gore jacket if wet.

Run sub4 run shorts and pirate Monaco left on, same with leg and arm warmers if cold.

For the half I just wore my clubs tri shorts and top with the bra underneath for the whole lot. It was a lovely hot day and I'm only changing from that as my clubs tri shorts chafed a bit.

Edited: 20/06/2013 at 13:08
20/06/2013 at 13:06

Ok, I have shock absorber bras already, so hopefully that will work  just need to get tri shorts/top then.

Thanks for the advice.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/06/2013 at 16:51

I've never had any problems with chafing, right from when I started in sprint events wearing a one-size smaller swimsuit with lycra running shorts underneath until Ironman which I've always done wearing tri shorts, sports bra and pirate top. Hate cycle shorts, much too bulky and you can't swim in them, they soak up water and take ages to dry. I swim, bike and run in the same gear, only thing extra is my zip up pirate cycle jacket which I'll throw on after the swim if the weather is really bad. In my case, less is more - started out using a women's gel saddle and now use a lightweight skinny racing saddle. Does it for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.