What do you wear? (Ladies)

1 to 20 of 29 messages
31/05/2012 at 18:38

I'm doing my first triathlon (sprint) in July and I'm a bit confused about what to wear. I guess a tri suit is designed to be worn for all three parts? Do you wear a sports bra underneath for the swim? I guess there's not much chance to put it on after. Does it dry out quick enough?

And if I didn't want to wear an "all in one", do I need to be looking for tri shorts and tops?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly!

31/05/2012 at 18:45

Hi

not a stupid question - I asked the same before my first

I got tri shorts and a top off the internet, and wore my sports bra underneath for all three parts. If the weather is ok, just get out of the swim, shoes on and straight on the bike. When I did my first one it was fairly cold so I put a jacket on for the bike which I took off for the run. The bra didn't totally dry out, but it wasn't uncomfortable either

M...eldy    pirate
31/05/2012 at 18:53

If its a sprint tri then you would be ok with an all in one but personally I think you'd get more wear from seperates ...

Sports bra underneath if you need one as some tri tops have a certain level of support anyway

31/05/2012 at 19:28

my tri top has support built in, but I think I need the bra as well - depends how you are built I think...

31/05/2012 at 19:31

I swap my usual sportsjock bra which I run in for a Triumph Tri Action bra when doing tri as the Sportsjock takes forever to dry out.

31/05/2012 at 22:11

Thanks. I suspect I would need a bra to hold everything down too.

Any advice on where to buy this stuff that doesn't cost a fortune??!

31/05/2012 at 22:17

I wear a sports bra under my trisuit even though I've not got much to put in it, usually a Sportsjock one but Little Miss Happy has it right, they do take ages to dry out. 

I prefer a one piece suit myself as it keeps my fat belly under control a bit better, although going to the loo can be a pain! 

Start Fitness are quite good for cheaper stuff.  Got a Scott Trisuit from there that was around £25 or so and it's great. 

01/06/2012 at 06:29

Definitely go for separates - makes the whole loo thing soooo much easier.  As far as price goes, have a browse on the internet.  There are heaps of places flogging tri gear, and lots of special offers.  And don't rule out ebay...

Iron Muffin    pirate
01/06/2012 at 06:47

Try the 'more miles' website. I have got seperates from there, good quality and great value.

01/06/2012 at 12:22

Make sure you try your sports bra out in the pool before hand.  Some of them chafe when they get wet.

Britrisky    pirate
01/06/2012 at 12:57

I just bought a rather lovely pink all-in-one Saucony tri suit from chainreactioncycles. Christianed it last night under my wetsuit on my first OW swim - happy days.

I'm not slim, but I think it looked ok. Perhaps not for a Parkrun, but reckon it'll be ok for an actual tri event. I liked it because it wasn't too expensive, and had longer legs and pockets. I wore my shockaborber underneath just to see how it would all feel. Bra still wet this morning. However it gets pretty wet with sweat when I run anyway.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/06/2012 at 13:13

Quick question for the more experienced lady cyclists who've done long rides.  Knickers or no knickers?
(Thinking cycle only, not for swimming beforehand!) 

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
01/06/2012 at 13:15

depends on your shorts Nurse....

If they have a proper "chamois" insert  or even a faux cham insert it's a no...

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
01/06/2012 at 20:22

Absolutely NO knickers under your bike shorts, commando is the only way to go. Wearing anything under your shorts can cause terrible chafing when the material bunches up. Less is more when it cmes to cycling.  If you need some, there's plenty of chamois creams you can buy to use.

oii
01/06/2012 at 20:54

not a silly question!!!

i bought a 2xu compression singlet and shorts combo, i was advised against a onesie in case i needed a toilet break! 

i wore the singlet and shorts under the wetsuit, this was my first tri (sprint) 2nd weekend in may this year, i wore my shock absorber run bra under the singlet. i did put my super light bike jacket on for the bike (cold day) and i wore my arm warmers for the run. Totally no knickers under bike shorts. 

02/06/2012 at 05:40

No knickers.

And that's not just on the bike

02/06/2012 at 07:45
Caz.

I agree, no knickers in the bike. I'm off for a few days cycling over the bank holiday and will be trying out some new Tri gear.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
02/06/2012 at 11:39
SuperCaz wrote (see)

No knickers.

And that's not just on the bike

03/06/2012 at 15:15

Has anyone any advice for a first time Ironman attempt when it come to ladies' clothes?

11/06/2012 at 14:46

Do you all wear cycling shorts with cham, which ones are best.  I will try the no knickers.  My long ride yesterday was not very comfortable, couldn't wait to get into a nice warm bath when I got home.

1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.