What gadgets/products are underrated/overrated?

41 to 52 of 52 messages
IronCat5    pirate
09/10/2012 at 20:51
purpletrilady wrote (see)

I love my new bike. I'm a slow rider and it cost a rediculous amount of money (well for me anyway), but it is a delight to ride.

I think we were all slightly jealous of the whizzo gear changing.

O.rangeCannon (kona-7)    pirate
09/10/2012 at 22:02
Constant use
Bento box
2 bottle rear carrier from bontrager
Garmin 110 run watch/hr..... Keep that hr below 142
Garmin 800 bike computer. stops me getting lost, keep hr at 140
Greeprr laces - they just work
Good run rucksac - saloman x25
Mudguards for the road bike on winter - crud guard ones
Sport drink
Maltloaf
Conti gatorskins fir training, michelin pro3s for race day
Ebay, (pair of lightly used heds for ??500....)
Sale shopping

In the cupboard
Aero bottle
Newtons

Undecided
Power meter. Excellent for seeing all those power spikes,
Great foe setting zones etc
Great for pacing
Nice to see how much stronger you are at the atart of the ride than the end
Expensive though so gets minus marks
Blisters    pirate
09/10/2012 at 23:38

Under rated.
Swim coaching 1-2-1 or group.
Competition or rivalry.
Sunny weather.
Comfy kit: shoes, shorts, tops, you name it. If you're comfy then let them laugh.
Cheap safety glasses. Clear wrap arounds, no distortion, cost £3, or free as PPE.

Take it or leave it.
Garmin 305 with HRM. I now use it all the time, but happily ran many marathons without.

Over rated.
Run coaching. JFDI, there's enough inspiration here.
Expensive sunglasses.
Energy drinks. How Much?

kittenkat    pirate
10/10/2012 at 06:57
Blisters wrote (see)

Under rated.
Competition or rivalry.

Agree! But I think it's very much present (in a good way) for me in my running club. So I can live without it on here.

Doner Kebab    pirate
11/10/2012 at 21:56

under rated -

a partner that lets you train xx hours a week and dont moan (too often)
knowing how to use HR training properly
having a brain the size of a walnut with the inability to recognise that you should really stop/slow the pace down
yellow and black lycra
people that inspire and get you motivated
kebab as a main source of protein and "essential" fats 

over rated -

crap magazines that recirculate the same old shite or publish the breakthrough "scientific facts" which will be overturned in next months articles
bikes that you cant afford - its always nice to blitz someone riding something worth more than your car
obstacle races
bieng able to spell on internet formus 

meface    pirate
11/10/2012 at 22:22

under-rated

Perforamce Doping - all the cool cats are doing it

over-rated

Taking what M..eface says seriously

Dustboy    pirate
12/10/2012 at 12:22

Underrated

Talcum powder, clear transition boxes (I like them), neoprene hats, speedo cheapo goggles, DA C24 wheels, OMM 10L ruckies, Nuun, little gel bottles, ceramic bearings, specialized cycle shoes, leather gloves/saddles, Richmond Park once you "get" it.

Overrated

the posh foods, Frostie bars and Asda own are just as good, gels not in little bottles, Aero bottles, full mask "tri" goggles, Schwalbe Ultremo tyres, great but they rot in 6 months, shit track pumps, specialized saddles (ouch), up their own arse LBS's

12/10/2012 at 15:14
Dustboy wrote (see)

Overrated

Schwalbe Ultremo tyres, great but they rot in 6 months,

Over-rated;
Dusty's opinion on tyres.
Schwalbe Ultremos rock. After nicking a pair from Muffin Top's bike, they did a horrible winter of hill training in north wales and were still fine for the race season. They are without doubt the easiest to change if you get a p*nct*re. Even survived t-boning a traffic cone at 28mph in IM Wales.

Dustboy    pirate
12/10/2012 at 16:41

Hmm STIL. Wonder if I have a bad batch then? They have perished all round the edges after being put on new in March (still on the bike as I am lazy) and I got a pinch flat going over a pebble (though to be fair, it did dent the rim as well). I wonder if the fact that they had been left in the garage over winter from October before fitting made them rot so easily?

IronCat5    pirate
12/10/2012 at 18:11

Maybe worth contacting Schwalbe? They did a recall a year or so ago for this kind of issue.

Where I had an overnight flat the rear tyre perished at the bottom. Other than that they seem ok.

12/10/2012 at 18:57

under rated

turbo

treadmill

gumption

over rated

magazines

manuals

mates/friends/family/unfamiliar comments 'you cant do that - its impossible' ( yeah. watch me )

under appreciated

a partner that understands why the holiday is cancelled but the shiney bike and wetsuit are a necessity along with 15hrs of me time every week

unknown

power meters - seriously, for amatuers and plodders ?

gps/watch/computer - i want one BUT i cant explain why

EPO - even if I could afford Ferrari, would lance mind paying ?

Blisters    pirate
12/10/2012 at 21:56

Thanks for the top tip on Secialized saddles. If that's Body Geometry, my @rse is a funny shape. I think I really will invest in avoiding purple bum boils.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 52 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.