What gadgets/products are underrated/overrated?

1 to 20 of 52 messages
kittenkat    pirate
08/10/2012 at 07:10

I would put the turbo trainer in the overrated, I'd much rather go out and throw a MTB around in the cold and wet. But I do see their uses, it's just my attention span.

Pyro Platforms were one of my biggest misbuys, also aerobottles.

Small but mighty is a swim lap counter, I lose count after 3 (mental maths block).

I also think a lot of the 'nutrition' products on the market are yuck, although I do like some of the drinks and use them in races, not for training though. Again personal preference.

And who can live without Bodyglide hurm...?

kittenkat    pirate
08/10/2012 at 07:11

Stretchy laces invaluable, ditto race belt.

08/10/2012 at 08:20
Me. Never use body glide
08/10/2012 at 08:49

I find my smartphone to be a great training aid.

I especially use MapMyRun and MyNetDiary apps.

Both have really helped me. I wrote about them in my latest blog entry as it goes.

MockBravadoBlog

Another thing that helps get me going for my morning run is my Nespresso machine.

1 quick shot of Ristretto wakes me up sufficienly to be able to tie my laces.

What with being new to the world of Triathlon (and fitness in general) I'll be real interested to see what aids everyone finds useful. It could save me making some costly mistakes and buying things I don't need.

08/10/2012 at 09:06

With the turbo you have to have some sort of feedback so that you can track any progress. i.e distance, time etc but for this you need the same controls in place each time so you are comparing like for like.

Overrated for me would be the £200 spent on orthotic insoles, all they made me do was instantly grow half an inch, heightwise that is, plus nutritional supplements, better off eating the packaging.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 09:07
IronCat5    pirate
08/10/2012 at 09:19

Turbo very much underrated.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/10/2012 at 09:20

My swim lap counter (and timer) would probably be at the top of my gadget list in terms of value for money.  I wouldn't be without my turbo either, yes it can be mind-numbing but there's lots of times when getting outdoors to train isn't an option, not just the weather but when the kids are asleep and leaving them alone would be frowned upon.

Least useful is my heart rate monitor, I don't really use it much.  I can live without bodyglide too.  I toyed with getting some pyro platforms when I was doing short duathlons, but came to my senses and realised that I'd still be behind the quick guys so saved some cash there.

For cycling, a bike fit probably outweighs gadgets altogether, although many seem to think the first things they need to go with their Cervelo/Felt/Pinarello are a power meter and a disc wheel.

08/10/2012 at 09:20

I love my turbo! I feel, rightly or wrongly, that i can get a decent workout if i do it right on a turbo in 45 mins that I wouldnt get from heading out on a bike. And there's no faffage time on kit / what will the weather be etc! And I can drink a cup of tea on it. And I can watch Pixie Lott music videos. And Rihiana videos. And and....

Need a fan though...

I bought some Greeper laces that I'm struggling to get used to. Might just go back to elastic ones which I love. And the swim pullboy has barely left the cupboard (then again most of my swim stuff has barely left the cupboard!)

08/10/2012 at 09:38

I love my pull buoy

08/10/2012 at 09:39

Over-rated;
Compression clothes - file under "emperor's new".
Bodyglide, because we all need a bit more pointless stress in our pre-race routines.
Bento boxes - forgot to put it on one race day.... never noticed it wasn't there

Under-rated;
CO2 inflators
Arm warmers
Rhi-Rhi videos
A good training partner 

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 09:40
08/10/2012 at 09:52

Oh I like compression clothes! I like the feeling of security they give. Just comfortable, esp calf guards. But I dont wear them training often because I might look like a plonker!

With you on CO2 and arm warmers! Great bits of kit! And the rest of your under-rateds as well, for that matter!

08/10/2012 at 10:09
Pebble 2 wrote (see)

I love my pull buoy

+1.  stops us larger chaps drowning in the pool....  

over-rated:

• Garmins - just go on RPE
  • transition boxes - much easier to carry a sportsbag/rucsac. if you want a cover - put a plastic bag over it
  • really really expensive bikes and bike bling (wheels, power meters etc) - unless you have an engine that will justify saving 4 secs over 40km, forget it.  you'll do better paying for a coach and doing something about your weight.   
  • compression kit - nope - tried it, don't get it.
  • Wiggle.  you can get same service, for less £ elsewhere these days

under-rated:

• elastic laces
  • Decathlon kit - do the jobs that Assos kit does but at a 1/4 of the price
  • rest days
Edited: 08/10/2012 at 10:10
08/10/2012 at 10:14

Can't stand elastic laces , I get plantar fasciitis after one short run in them, making them as loose as they go doesn't help either.

Think I'll have to live with tacking the extra time putting my trainers on for happy comfy feet that I can actually run with.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/10/2012 at 10:23

I also love my pull-buoy.  They're not just for larger chaps.

Compression gear - I use calf-guards for tris and compression shorts during marathons, and I've had fewer problems with cramp since I started doing that.  Just a cheap pair of linebreak shorts though, I'm not mug enough to believe spending a fortune on 2xu ones is going to make me a better runner.  Can't see the point in compression tops though, what's that all about?

Britrisky    pirate
08/10/2012 at 11:04

Love my Bento box - like a tardis on my HIM - gels, bars, malt loaf

plus Bodyglide - no chafing when I'm swimming or running (not the wetsuit, the swimming costume!)

Not sold on the HRM yet, but haven't given it a good enough try yet.

08/10/2012 at 11:08

Forgot Body glide is great it stops my bingo wings chafing on my running top during longer runs.

08/10/2012 at 12:17
fat buddha wrote (see)
  • really really expensive bikes and bike bling (wheels, power meters etc) - unless you have an engine that will justify saving 4 secs over 40km, forget it.  you'll do better paying for a coach and doing something about your weight.   

+1

I can't believe the money some have spent of fast bikes, wheels etc when you see the times they do on the bike. My biggest one on a TT bike is all the Dura ace/ Record gear. Very expensive for what it is worth extra to the gains. However if people have the dosh I don't have a problem with it. The problem is that magazines/websites are throwing it at you that all this expensive gear will make you go fast. IT WON'T.

Love the turbo.

Sports drink good - Gels bad. 

Britrisky wrote (see)

Britsky, the main point of a HRM is in knowing how to use it correctly to your body. Knowing the right zones to be in and for how long without overdoing it. You can't go off the 220 minus age and work out percentages from there. There are many arguments about HRM training being rubbish and the way forward is power taps or equipment like it. Again though power meters are expensive whereas HRM are relatively cheap.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 12:18
IronCat5    pirate
08/10/2012 at 12:30
chilliboy70 wrote (see)
Britrisky wrote (see)

Britsky, the main point of a HRM is in knowing how to use it correctly to your body. Knowing the right zones to be in and for how long without overdoing it. You can't go off the 220 minus age and work out percentages from there. There are many arguments about HRM training being rubbish and the way forward is power taps or equipment like it. Again though power meters are expensive whereas HRM are relatively cheap.

HRM based training is cheap and accessible to most people, and for running probably cannot be beaten (at least for base training). Good for bike base training.

I think the benefit of interval bike training with power is that power is 'absolute' whereas HR may drift, so a constant HR effort may result in a reducing power. In this case on the turbo, train by cadence in the same gear, or rear wheel speed. Or use TrainerRoad.

WildWill    pirate
08/10/2012 at 12:33

HRM my fave pice of kit

08/10/2012 at 12:40
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
chilliboy70 wrote (see)
Britrisky wrote (see)

HRM based training is cheap and accessible to most people, and for running probably cannot be beaten (at least for base training). Good for bike base training.

I think the benefit of interval bike training with power is that power is 'absolute' whereas HR may drift, so a constant HR effort may result in a reducing power. In this case on the turbo, train by cadence in the same gear, or rear wheel speed. Or use TrainerRoad.

I'm no expert on it all but I know it works for me based mainly on years of doing it on the bike. I have carried it across to running and realised there are a few tweeks needed for myself. I think a coach would be better for my running!!

Big + for Exposure Flare back light for day use as well. Cars seem to be giving me a lot more room since I started using it all the time

1 to 20 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.