What is ....

an Ironman Sherpa?

1 to 20 of 22 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/04/2013 at 06:07

I know it's some sort of external support but what can they do/not do etc.?

I have a running friend who has said she will support me at the outlaw but I'm not sure how best to utilise the offer apart from morale support and general abuse.

Thanks

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/04/2013 at 06:19

Basically be your dogsbody, fetch and carry stuff , provide emotional support, remember the things that you forgot, shout and yell at you around the course, push your bike/carry your bags back to your digs after you stumble into the finish and generally do anything to assist and support you. They can't hand food or drink to you during the race or help you with a puncture or other bike problem - that counts as outside help, which is not allowed.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/04/2013 at 06:31

so can they, for example, hold a coat and give that to you on the run?

I need plenty of shouting and yelling!

30/04/2013 at 06:45

Technically, they shouldn't hand you anything as that is deemed outside assistance.

They can have a coat by their feet which you notice and feel would fit you, so you pick it up and put it on. 

30/04/2013 at 08:17

EP make hubby your Sherpa  i do not think the organisers will be getting to anal about somebody giving a midpacker a coat 

seren nos    pirate
30/04/2013 at 08:26

they didn't disqualiofy Dave for taking that pint from the crowd last year ...........why should they be so anal.....

EP.its to help you carry all your stuff to the starting line......just listening to any ramb;lings you might have.......

helping you get all your stuff at the end of the day back from transition....

its a long day and not amny people would want to carry all the stuff themselves...

some people might be hard or not have any friends to offer to help carry.but to have to make many trips back and for from transition when all you want is to sit down and have a drink it hard work....

they can also run back to find anything last minute that you have forgotton

seren nos    pirate
30/04/2013 at 08:38

One pirate turned up at the swim without a wetsuit at IMW.......now he was lucky he was young and fast and ran the 3/4 of a mile back to get it........but having a sherpa run back would be handy if that happens.saves energy 

IronCat5    pirate
01/05/2013 at 05:31

Or get yourself a DK. As well as competing he told VT'd where to be, how to be there and why he didn't need 60 changes of clothes for T2.

Afterwards he made me unrack pretty much after we'd cross the finish line. DK = Chuck Norris of IM. The advantage of deracking so soon meant that I didn't have to stumble back with my bike after the finish line bar had shut.

meface    pirate
01/05/2013 at 21:16

Yup - agree with most.

A Sherpa is helpful but certainly not essential. I haven't used a Sherpa at either IMs I have done. I did however benefit greatly from Shuffle's kindness fetching me a few beers at IMR.

If you expect to be maximising value at the event by using the full time it is clearly easier if post event you can have someone take over and direct you to bag collect, bike pick-up and help organise things. If they are the organised type then they can reduce stress and effort the day before which lets you rest more.

If you don't have a Sherpa don't worry, someone will help you at the end if you really need it. Either Pirate or event organiser depedning on severity of your disarray.

If she is a runner whe will probably naturally know what you need after the event. Patience, guidance and carrying, and a beer.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/05/2013 at 21:30

I assume the Sherpa role is not exclusive to beer and that chocolate and cake can also be supplied?

I will indeed be getting my money's worth and using the full 17hrs.

What will happen at the end? Will there be food/drink available? Will I be expected to move my bike etc then? Will the post race massage folks be sound asleep in their own beds?

I'm typically a very organised, paranoid person so I think the main thing will be the "encouragement" during the latter stages.

Thanks for the replies

meface    pirate
01/05/2013 at 21:51

We will cheer you in!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/05/2013 at 22:05

Can't wait  - mind you I am starting to fret that body says No as I keep on getting colds that turn to coughs. Mind you teaching doesn't help that either!

Got my 1st OW swim of the season this weekend and I'm taking advantage of the bank holiday to do my longest ever bike ride

02/05/2013 at 07:20
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

What will happen at the end? Will there be food/drink available? Will I be expected to move my bike etc then? Will the post race massage folks be sound asleep in their own beds?

Thanks for the replies

At the end, you cross the line and someone puts a medal over your neck.  You walk forward to a marquee where there are a lot of tables and chairs for you to have a sit down and some food.  Last year there was a pasta dish and soup and some other stuff.  There was still quite a good selection, even at the end.

Bike - they won't be breaking down transition that very second, so you will have some time to move your bike.  Obviously don't take a three hour shower.

Post race massage - should still be there, but unlikely to be so many folks around.

As someone who has finished right at the end of races I won't lie to you, a lot of stuff has gone.  Some of the food has run out, I have finished races and the massage people have more or less packed up and gone home.  You won't be neglected but there won't be as much stuff left to eat as if you were a midpacker.

02/05/2013 at 08:56

There will be a large pirate presence there racing and spectating availabe for help and advice before and after the race, if you want someone specific to sherpa i dont mind 

02/05/2013 at 12:19

I would suggest thinking about what your plans will be in the run up to the event, on the morning, and post-race.

Do you want to be caught in the general hubbub of pre-race or do you want to be somewhere quiet? Do you want to be around other people who nerves may be more fraught than yours and therefore be a drain on you

What are your pre-race rituals?  What are your post-race rituals?

Pick/Bring a sherpa and let them know what suits you.

They will be your leveller.  When you're mid-panic because you think you have misplaced your race helmet, number, chip, or whatever, they will be sitting quietly in the background and just point to what you can't see/find

They can deal with any mishaps such as pewking up your pre-race breakfast and needing to source bananss in a hurry. Finding safety pins because you have dropped yours down the sink.

They are not there to chivvy you along (unless in an emergency), but just to be your second, non-emotional, non-irrational brain.

02/05/2013 at 12:21

There is a well-seasoned Pirate who did IMWales in 2011 who didn't know his arse from his elbow in the run up to race day, He couldn't find anything from his registration bags etc and was getting wound up.  I just kept an eye on what was going on and when he said he couldn't find his helmet stickers, I just calmly pointed to them.  This process continued for an hour until he was all sorted and could rack.  

If people knew who he was, they wouldn't believe how stressed and panicky he was

02/05/2013 at 15:19

So it wasnt Barlos then?

02/05/2013 at 15:28

I lost it last Outlaw as i was getting my kit ready and had serviced my mates bike the previous week her mechanically inept boyfriend for some reason decided to change here wheels for some older crappier buggering up the brake clearances and gear indexing in the process and all my good work so i am having to reservice the bike just prior to racking not a happy bunny

no matter how many we have done we all get nervous IM Wales for some reason i was bricking the swim and it turned my brain to jelly and i do most of my training in the sea sometimes in big surf  i ended up with a swim PB 

nerves is not a newbie thing i think we all get it to s degreevor another

meface    pirate
02/05/2013 at 22:15

Nah - thats just you.

Although I did forget my watch at Outlaw last year and had to go back to the tent to find it with only about 20-minutes to start time. Even if the start had already gone I would only have been 10 minutes behind. Doesn't make much difference on a 12-13 hour day.

Stuff goes wrong in life - think, act, move forward.

It wasn't raining, I could have done it without a watch, I could have just gone to the pub and thought how great it is that I am healthy. It is just for fun.

03/05/2013 at 05:48

Thats to chilled you may as well had an extra lie in to make sure you are wel rested but your right unless your a pro/ front runner its just fun i do this to get rid of stress not add to it 

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.