What is that bit called and what does it do?

Bike attachment help needed!

7 messages
08/04/2012 at 16:48

Good evening,

I have a bike, a good start.  The other day attached to the bike came loose and stopped the chain moving. I will describe it below

Below the front derailleur attachment on the seat tube there is a plastic horn shaped attachement.  It would pass very close to the chain either above or below.  I have tried google and bike books but as yet I can't find a reference to it.  It is a specialized allez comp.  It mus have come loose and then caught on the chain but why is it there?  Maybe it's a chain catcher to stop the chain falling onto the bottom bracket if it came off.  I will upload a pic if no one has a clue what i'm on about!

08/04/2012 at 17:34


One of them ?

No idea

08/04/2012 at 17:41
That's the bit!  I think i'll take it off...
08/04/2012 at 17:45
You were right, It's a chain catcher
08/04/2012 at 18:41
I'll take it off - not all have it and it looks like it could be a pain if it keeps slipping. Weighs about 10g too...
08/04/2012 at 18:57
Is that the bit Andy Schleck took off to save weight in the mountains and it cost him the TDF last year?

Must have a look to see if my bike has one!
08/04/2012 at 19:16
It will be just next to your stabilisers Glad

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW competitions

RW Forums