What is the obsession with Ironman?

41 to 60 of 164 messages
Crash Hamster    pirate
19/08/2013 at 12:46

Nope, you're definitely not an Ironman until you do 140.6

I enjoy reading, watching cricket and rugby, rock gigs, pub meals and running, swimming and cycling. At the moment, triathlon other than IM doesn't really excite me, though that will change if the way my 'running career' has progressed is any guide.

Wouldn't do it if you couldn't finish in the top half, eh, Flob? I remember another forumite saying that about the marathon...

19/08/2013 at 13:11
WildWill wrote (see)

if you do not for also find the shorter distances "utterly horrendously painful " your not pusshing hard enough 

Yep. Agreed. But there is a difference between suffering for a couple of hours and suffering for 14 hours or however long it takes you to do an Ironman.

Some people are obviously built for the long distances, but it seems a lot of people just drag themselves round just because Ironman is the "thing to do".... & that can't be enjoyable... can it??

WildWill    pirate
19/08/2013 at 13:16

I enjoy it   ... thats why i do it   .. otherwise i'd be doing something different  

Edited: 19/08/2013 at 13:16
Hope    pirate
19/08/2013 at 13:18

+1 to that WW.

I enjoy the challenge, the training and race day 

TheEngineer    pirate
19/08/2013 at 13:34

And eating cake and not getting fat.

Rafiki    pirate
19/08/2013 at 13:34

I just like the free t-shirt at the end

WildWill    pirate
19/08/2013 at 13:36
TheEngineer wrote (see)

And eating cake and not getting fat.

... i still seam to get fat

flyaway    pirate
19/08/2013 at 13:45

The percieved "obsession" with IronMan on this forum is, I think, largely because there's a lot more you need to know when training for and completeing (or competing in) an IM than there is to a sprint. You could conceivably race a sprint one weekend, learn a whole heap about what you need to do to perform better, and then go and do another one a week or so later. An IM is a much greater committment in terms of both money and time, so you want to make the most out of the training cycle. Thats not to say you dont learn an awful lot whilst training for your first that you then apply to any subsequent races, but for most folks, one IM a year is the most you can manage, so its a whole year before you have a chance to put those lessons into practice. I dont know anyone in "the real world" who's done an IM that I didnt meet through these forums, so if I'd wanted to do one, who would i have asked? There are all sorts of questions that people ask here that I've never seen in any training guide or book.
In addition, as someone else said, its about the camraderie - it can be a pretty scary thing to do, and doing it with other people you know is much nicer.

No-one on here ever says that IM is better than any other distance.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
19/08/2013 at 14:05

Ironman is better than 25m egg and spoon race!

19/08/2013 at 14:23
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Ironman is better than 25m egg and spoon race!

Hey, the Egg and Spoon race is very tricky!!

Symes-lent night    pirate
19/08/2013 at 16:58

Flob - If you read the post properly it is the concept of not turning up unless you can fit in with the 1.5x plan which is stupid.

Insecure, not too sure how you draw that conclusion but nope, inclusive, yes.

19/08/2013 at 17:36

If I'm brutally honest for me it was definitely a bit of a mid life crisis thing, just a case of finding something that looked like an impossible challenge on day one & then proving to myself that I could actually do it.

It was cheaper (not much) than buying a sports car & more acceptable/likely (a lot more) than finding a mistress. I doubt I'm alone if you look at the huge numbers of male 30-45 entrants in each IM field...........

As for the 1.5x concept, have to agree that's b0ll0x

Running Postie    pirate
19/08/2013 at 17:49

I do all this training because I like wearing black and yellow. Canary yellow really suits me 

Crash Hamster    pirate
19/08/2013 at 19:05

In your latest race, only 125 of the 355 finishers were inside your "150% of the winning time" rule. (about 35%)

In Ironman Austria 1570/2850 were inside the same time constraint. (about 55%)

I doubt that the first person in your race was a full-time pro; if they were, you're looking at sub 45 minutes to be in the 150% rule. That's the top 27/355 or about 7.5%.

These are facts, not my opinion.

If you're bothered about being within 150% of the winner, you'd be far better served by doing a decent IM than running a 10k, especially if anyone good turned up. (that's a conclusion from the above facts)

That's the point Symes was making.

You're DF3, aren't you?

M...eldy    pirate
19/08/2013 at 19:16

but aspires to be DF1.5 ...   

IronCat5    pirate
19/08/2013 at 19:17
Try-to-athlon wrote (see)
WildWill wrote (see)

if you do not for also find the shorter distances "utterly horrendously painful " your not pusshing hard enough 

Yep. Agreed. But there is a difference between suffering for a couple of hours and suffering for 14 hours or however long it takes you to do an Ironman.

I would imagine that 14hrs of suffering in an IM is infinitely more sufferable that a couple of hours at Oly or 1hour-ish at sprint.

Dr NM IM NM wrote (see)
As for the 1.5x concept, have to agree that's b0ll0x
Flob wrote (see)

I consider top 50% to be competitive (ish)

To agree with Dr N M, Top 50% isn't competitive at all.

PSOF started out as IM-centric (as in distance, not brand), and that is what the core focus is and likely will be. Within the PSOF there are a number of people who enter shorter races as well, and those that are building up to IM distance. I have marshalled at sprint tris where there has been a large pirate presence, and I there have been pirate outings to other tris (I know of sprint and HIM).

I've done the IM thing, and following it was agreed that I wouldn't do another until my kids were much older as it is not fair on them. I'm enjoying racing shorter distances (or was before injury ). I like that I can start at 8:30 and be home soon after.I like racing duathlon as it means I don't have to worry about swimming. Once my mtb is built I'll give cross-tri & du a go like FB.

Titing to Flob I also like that I can decide to DNS a race if I think I won't get the result I want due to poor form or fitness; thereby saving travel and accomodation cost. I'm sure I'd still race if I wasn't going to finish in the top 50% but were on good form.

However I did enjoy the IM journey (I hate that phrase) with the Pirates, and I look forward to sailing with then again in the future when family circumstances permit.

PSOF has a wide range of tri experience and knowledge at all distances: Kona qualifiers, British champs, World champs qualifiers. Die hards who do multiple IMs a year but never trouble the podium. People who do shorter races because they enjoy it. Each to their own. Whatever you choose to do, go out there and give it your all and enjoy it.

Crash Hamster    pirate
19/08/2013 at 19:30
M...eldy wrote (see)

World class, Melds

And if Mo Farah (good but not the WR-holder) turned up to a 10k, he would probably do 27.xx, meaning that 42.00 is outside the 150% rule. Elitist things, 10ks

IronCat5    pirate
19/08/2013 at 19:45
Crash Hamster wrote (see)
M...eldy wrote (see)

World class, Melds

And if Mo Farah (good but not the WR-holder) turned up to a 10k, he would probably do 27.xx, meaning that 42.00 is outside the 150% rule. Elitist things, 10ks

I'd say most 'village' 10kms are won somewhere around 36 minutes. Very elitist. No point in turning up at all!

19/08/2013 at 19:54

The 150% arguement falls down on age group doesn't it? Isn't that why tris have age groups and running has the senior, vets, super vets categories?

purpletrilady    pirate
19/08/2013 at 20:16

It wasn't very eloquent of me but hey I'm not a morning person.

Still the idea that there is a time after which all finishers are not "competitors" demostrates that you do not have any understanding of endurance events nor the mentality that drives most of us to do them.

Those that are gentically gifted speed wise have a huge advantage in many ways and it does not give them the right to mock those people that are slower.

41 to 60 of 164 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.