What was your biggest problem when you first started tri?

And how did you overcome it?

21 to 39 of 39 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/06/2012 at 08:36
kittenkat wrote (see)
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

My biggest hurdle to IM was convincing my wife that it could be done without devoting every waking moment to training.

How did that go? IM training put a stress on my marriage, but that was a combination of my personality and the training to be fair.

Well, she was eventually pursuaded when she spoke to the best man at a wedding who had done Roth that year.  She told me to sign up the next day.  It was then down to me to prove he was right, which as I've said elsewhere needs a lot of flexibility and give & take.  Not easy - we're all obsessive to a point or we wouldn't be doing this stuff.

21/06/2012 at 09:17

Well I'd signed up for an IM this year (Outlaw) and a Half Iron (Marlow) coming from background of ultra running I figured I could do them both if I really wanted.  Last year I took swimming lessons and this year joined a tri club for group swim coaching, took part in some OW swims last year so that didn't bother me too much either.   The biggest issue for me was the bike.  I have a bike, buts it a hybrid bike and having done some sprint tris last year I know i cant go the distance on it. 

I simply cant afford a good bike, the OH could lend me the money but he wont. He is less than supportive and every race causes some sort of argument or bad feeling.  He is a sub 3 marathoner and has also done a few sprint tris but he does not want to train with me or encourage me to train as he thinks i take everything too far.

So - yes, lack of bike and money and supportive OH.  Managed to get a refund for the Outlaw - but my Marlow half IM place is still up for freebie grabs.  It's the first thing i really feel ive failed at and i dont even really like to talk/think about it

21/06/2012 at 09:24
Katiecom wrote (see)

So - yes, lack of bike and money and supportive OH. 

Ditch him

Sore Shins    pirate
21/06/2012 at 09:40

yes DITCH him , sub 3 mara are a strange breed anyway

Orca    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:16

I have a wonderful supportive OH but IM training does take a lot of time and as this is my 3rd in 4 years, it is causing a little strain so I will be taking a couple of years out after IM Austria. It's my decision though as I want a break from the long stuff and I'd like to try picking up a bit of speed on the shorter distances.

For me, the run is the issue. I'm built for comfort not for speed and I have a reasonable swim, I'd hold my own (at least against most of the other ladies) on the bike but I might as well sit down in T2 and have a picnic because I'm passed by just about everyone on the run and it's demoralising. It got the point where I just looked at results up to the end of the bike. It has improved but it has taken 8 years! I still haven't mastered the T1 transition of mounting my bike with the shoes already in the cleats and dismouting in T2 leaving them in the cleats. It's on my "to do" list once the IM is out of the way.

Pethead    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:26

Problem: No bike, no speed in the swim.
Solution: Car-boot sale bike (to start with) and stamina in the swim.

Suppose the only real problem now is a lack of time/money!

Edited: 21/06/2012 at 10:27
oii
21/06/2012 at 10:42

Katiecom - i just messaged you.

Pethead    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:42

Like the OH went sub 3hr on 3 or 4 casual runs a week? Yeah right...

oii
21/06/2012 at 10:53

KK - Completed my first sprint recently. I come from a marathon (plod) background and flippin love being on the bike. Once i had trawled around for a bit and worked my sizing out i got my Litespeed from ebay and was hooked, wish i had done the road bike thing sooner  My Mum/friends/collegues think i am a bit nuts and get a bit  when i tell them about the training/dedication/commitmnet involved, but they are still REALLY supportive.

Biggest issue is -  being sh1t scared of water and having shocking front crawl but am having lessons with local coach so big improvements. am still considering NLP sessions to stamp out water fear as it hugely gets in the way! Money not an issue as i buy everything second hand/in the sale/two seasons old.

I must lose weight though! 

21/06/2012 at 12:56
Pethead wrote (see)

Like the OH went sub 3hr on 3 or 4 casual runs a week? Yeah right...

Amen to this! Give and take peoples, give and take! 

NV
21/06/2012 at 13:19

Swimming OW. My forst OW was my first tri. Still not comfortable now, but I can get over it. Then time to fit it all in with a young family. Really struggled with pacing as well in my first 2 or 3 sprints. Manic 400m swim, breathless and long T1, poor bike because of it, then eyeballs out 5k.

21/06/2012 at 13:24

Transitions.

Must have been a woman who invented a sport that's punctuated by two spells of housework.

21/06/2012 at 13:25

My OH really didnt train too much for his sub 3's - speed seems to come easy for him, and he is happy just to do one marathon a year - with a few weeks training before it and only sporadic runs fo rthe rest of the  year.  He doesnt see running as "a lifestyle", just something to do when he feels like it.  For me being active is my lifestyle - i guess we'll have to figure out some sort of compromise...

Golden Boots    pirate
21/06/2012 at 14:27

Alcohol for me.... I enjoy going out too much at weekends!!

Though actualy not having a car was, and still is, a massive problem for me. Often cannot get to even local races which is why I only tend to do 2/3 per year!

21/06/2012 at 14:39

great thread guys, started my 12 week training plan for my first sprint tri this week and really excited about it! Having group swimming lessons so front crawl improving (starting from zero with it really!) although struggling with breathing still.

I'm on hybrid bike, but its nearer a mountain bike really and really need to get a road bike asap! The plan is to go to a bike shop, pick one i like, then try and get it on ebay or the like!

Been running for a few years with 2 marathons and a 2hr 3min half under my belt, so comfortable with the running!

I have a fairly supportive hubby, although he does think i'm a bit nuts......

TheEngineer    pirate
22/06/2012 at 09:31
Golden Boots wrote (see)

Alcohol for me.... I enjoy going out too much at weekends!!

Though actualy not having a car was, and still is, a massive problem for me. Often cannot get to even local races which is why I only tend to do 2/3 per year!

If you spent less on alcohol you could hire a car

22/06/2012 at 11:28
Confidence! Not yet done a tri altho been in club two years. Posted on here other day and have entered altho confidence is still lacking n fear of making tit of yourself!

Done absolute no swimming altho was ok when was younger n bike has been used ten times max. Just hoping I'll make it to the run where I know I'm ok and comfortable
01/07/2012 at 23:12

interesting thread.

rubbish windmill style crawl, rubbish breathing, 25m absolute max and a big swimming pool allergy were/are my problems. Love swimming open water, great not having to worry about an allergic reaction. In a month my swimming has improved in group technique lessons. Just done my first sprint tri but resorted to breaststroke. I won't give up though. This time next year..........

well done to those who only took 4/5 lessons to crack it though

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/07/2012 at 08:46

Like many others, swimming was my problem - not that I could not swim, more that my stroke was total rubbish. 4 years on and training with our tri club 3 times a week I have improved a great deal but will still never be a fast swimmer. However, I have discovered a love of OW swimming and long distance events, did a 6km two weeks ago and OH swam a 12km race for the 3rd time. Keep at it and you WILL improve. And remember, the swim is by far the shortest bit of any triathlon. The longer the event, the less percentage the swim is of the total distance.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.