What was your biggest problem when you first started tri?

And how did you overcome it?

21 to 40 of 47 messages
20/06/2012 at 19:33

Main hurdle was hubby being supportive and not getting the right hump every time I left the house to train.    He got there eventually though with the supportive bit, to the point that I came home today to find two new pair of goggles that he had traipsed around getting for me so that I don't stress out at the lake tomorrow.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/06/2012 at 19:37
kittenkat wrote (see)

But you had a caravan Dave... Those were the days...

No I didn't, Not by the time I took up Tri.....

The first Mrs Spartan came to support me doing the FLM, and made me wait 2 hours at the finish whilst she was still hitting Oxford St, and then cos she was knackered made me drive home !!!!

That's one of the reasons she became the Ex Mrs Spartan !!!

IronCat5    pirate
20/06/2012 at 20:46

It was swimming, then cost.

Once I had the wettie, the floodgates opened, swimming got better and I started to haemorrage money on tri.

Blisters    pirate
20/06/2012 at 22:04

Although I've still yet to compete/complete one (there's an L of a difference), my biggest challenge has been swimming. 25m of windmill crawl was my absolute limit, and after 6 weeks I have now graduated as far as being able to do 1000m. Nobody is more shocked than I.
I only got into it because I bought a bike, so that hurdle has been crossed.
Joining a tri club (for the swimming lessons and the Saturday bike ride) has been good, but their patience is thinning after I try and crash out the peleton each week.
It all reminds me that I ought to do a bit of running from time to time as well.

Lee the Pea    pirate
20/06/2012 at 22:09
Shit swimmer who couldn't do front crawl; no bike, and was slow when i got one; crap at running.

Haven't overcome any of theose impediments, apart from learning front crawl!
JvR
21/06/2012 at 08:27

I came from a running background so that held no fear for me.
As I bypassed pool-based and went straight to open water swimming in a wet suit was my biggest problem. I took 6 one-to-one swim lessons in order to sort out my front crawl and after doing a number of swims where I ended up resorting to breaststroke for a large part of the swim, went along to one of my local tri clubs sea swim sessions and was lucky enough that one of the other ladies swam with me and gave me pointers as to how to deal with the swim (stay calm and get into a rhythm). Was the first time I managed to do nearly 1000m open water front crawl, several weeks later I managed to do 3000m open water front crawl at one of the Open Water swims at Dorney.

My cycling is just plain rubbish as I'm really not confident on the bike. Going to work on it though as I need to improve my speed, handling skills and general confidence.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/06/2012 at 08:36
kittenkat wrote (see)
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

My biggest hurdle to IM was convincing my wife that it could be done without devoting every waking moment to training.

How did that go? IM training put a stress on my marriage, but that was a combination of my personality and the training to be fair.

Well, she was eventually pursuaded when she spoke to the best man at a wedding who had done Roth that year.  She told me to sign up the next day.  It was then down to me to prove he was right, which as I've said elsewhere needs a lot of flexibility and give & take.  Not easy - we're all obsessive to a point or we wouldn't be doing this stuff.

kittenkat    pirate
21/06/2012 at 08:41
kittenkat wrote (see)

My biggest hurdle to IM was convincing my wife that it could be done without devoting every waking moment to training.

How did that go? IM training put a stress on my marriage, but that was a combination of my personality and the training to be fair.

Well, she was eventually pursuaded when she spoke to the best man at a wedding who had done Roth that year.  She told me to sign up the next day.  It was then down to me to prove he was right, which as I've said elsewhere needs a lot of flexibility and give & take.  Not easy - we're all obsessive to a point or we wouldn't be doing this stuff.

Yes, I think it's can be too easy to get wrapped up in it and sideline things that really are more important.

21/06/2012 at 09:17

Well I'd signed up for an IM this year (Outlaw) and a Half Iron (Marlow) coming from background of ultra running I figured I could do them both if I really wanted.  Last year I took swimming lessons and this year joined a tri club for group swim coaching, took part in some OW swims last year so that didn't bother me too much either.   The biggest issue for me was the bike.  I have a bike, buts it a hybrid bike and having done some sprint tris last year I know i cant go the distance on it. 

I simply cant afford a good bike, the OH could lend me the money but he wont. He is less than supportive and every race causes some sort of argument or bad feeling.  He is a sub 3 marathoner and has also done a few sprint tris but he does not want to train with me or encourage me to train as he thinks i take everything too far.

So - yes, lack of bike and money and supportive OH.  Managed to get a refund for the Outlaw - but my Marlow half IM place is still up for freebie grabs.  It's the first thing i really feel ive failed at and i dont even really like to talk/think about it

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
21/06/2012 at 09:24
Katiecom wrote (see)

So - yes, lack of bike and money and supportive OH. 

Ditch him

Sore Shins (M...)    pirate
21/06/2012 at 09:40

yes DITCH him , sub 3 mara are a strange breed anyway

Orca    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:16

I have a wonderful supportive OH but IM training does take a lot of time and as this is my 3rd in 4 years, it is causing a little strain so I will be taking a couple of years out after IM Austria. It's my decision though as I want a break from the long stuff and I'd like to try picking up a bit of speed on the shorter distances.

For me, the run is the issue. I'm built for comfort not for speed and I have a reasonable swim, I'd hold my own (at least against most of the other ladies) on the bike but I might as well sit down in T2 and have a picnic because I'm passed by just about everyone on the run and it's demoralising. It got the point where I just looked at results up to the end of the bike. It has improved but it has taken 8 years! I still haven't mastered the T1 transition of mounting my bike with the shoes already in the cleats and dismouting in T2 leaving them in the cleats. It's on my "to do" list once the IM is out of the way.

Pethead    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:26

Problem: No bike, no speed in the swim.
Solution: Car-boot sale bike (to start with) and stamina in the swim.

Suppose the only real problem now is a lack of time/money!

Edited: 21/06/2012 at 10:27
kittenkat    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:33

Katie, sorry to hear that.

oii
21/06/2012 at 10:42

Katiecom - i just messaged you.

Pethead    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:42

Like the OH went sub 3hr on 3 or 4 casual runs a week? Yeah right...

oii
21/06/2012 at 10:53

KK - Completed my first sprint recently. I come from a marathon (plod) background and flippin love being on the bike. Once i had trawled around for a bit and worked my sizing out i got my Litespeed from ebay and was hooked, wish i had done the road bike thing sooner  My Mum/friends/collegues think i am a bit nuts and get a bit  when i tell them about the training/dedication/commitmnet involved, but they are still REALLY supportive.

Biggest issue is -  being sh1t scared of water and having shocking front crawl but am having lessons with local coach so big improvements. am still considering NLP sessions to stamp out water fear as it hugely gets in the way! Money not an issue as i buy everything second hand/in the sale/two seasons old.

I must lose weight though! 

21/06/2012 at 12:56
Pethead wrote (see)

Like the OH went sub 3hr on 3 or 4 casual runs a week? Yeah right...

Amen to this! Give and take peoples, give and take! 

NV
21/06/2012 at 13:19

Swimming OW. My forst OW was my first tri. Still not comfortable now, but I can get over it. Then time to fit it all in with a young family. Really struggled with pacing as well in my first 2 or 3 sprints. Manic 400m swim, breathless and long T1, poor bike because of it, then eyeballs out 5k.

21/06/2012 at 13:24

Transitions.

Must have been a woman who invented a sport that's punctuated by two spells of housework.

21 to 40 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.