What was your biggest problem when you first started tri?

And how did you overcome it?

41 to 47 of 47 messages
21/06/2012 at 13:25

My OH really didnt train too much for his sub 3's - speed seems to come easy for him, and he is happy just to do one marathon a year - with a few weeks training before it and only sporadic runs fo rthe rest of the  year.  He doesnt see running as "a lifestyle", just something to do when he feels like it.  For me being active is my lifestyle - i guess we'll have to figure out some sort of compromise...

Golden Boots    pirate
21/06/2012 at 14:27

Alcohol for me.... I enjoy going out too much at weekends!!

Though actualy not having a car was, and still is, a massive problem for me. Often cannot get to even local races which is why I only tend to do 2/3 per year!

21/06/2012 at 14:39

great thread guys, started my 12 week training plan for my first sprint tri this week and really excited about it! Having group swimming lessons so front crawl improving (starting from zero with it really!) although struggling with breathing still.

I'm on hybrid bike, but its nearer a mountain bike really and really need to get a road bike asap! The plan is to go to a bike shop, pick one i like, then try and get it on ebay or the like!

Been running for a few years with 2 marathons and a 2hr 3min half under my belt, so comfortable with the running!

I have a fairly supportive hubby, although he does think i'm a bit nuts......

TheEngineer    pirate
22/06/2012 at 09:31
Golden Boots wrote (see)

Alcohol for me.... I enjoy going out too much at weekends!!

Though actualy not having a car was, and still is, a massive problem for me. Often cannot get to even local races which is why I only tend to do 2/3 per year!

If you spent less on alcohol you could hire a car

22/06/2012 at 11:28
Confidence! Not yet done a tri altho been in club two years. Posted on here other day and have entered altho confidence is still lacking n fear of making tit of yourself!

Done absolute no swimming altho was ok when was younger n bike has been used ten times max. Just hoping I'll make it to the run where I know I'm ok and comfortable
01/07/2012 at 23:12

interesting thread.

rubbish windmill style crawl, rubbish breathing, 25m absolute max and a big swimming pool allergy were/are my problems. Love swimming open water, great not having to worry about an allergic reaction. In a month my swimming has improved in group technique lessons. Just done my first sprint tri but resorted to breaststroke. I won't give up though. This time next year..........

well done to those who only took 4/5 lessons to crack it though

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/07/2012 at 08:46

Like many others, swimming was my problem - not that I could not swim, more that my stroke was total rubbish. 4 years on and training with our tri club 3 times a week I have improved a great deal but will still never be a fast swimmer. However, I have discovered a love of OW swimming and long distance events, did a 6km two weeks ago and OH swam a 12km race for the 3rd time. Keep at it and you WILL improve. And remember, the swim is by far the shortest bit of any triathlon. The longer the event, the less percentage the swim is of the total distance.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.