What was your biggest problem when you first started tri?

And how did you overcome it?

1 to 20 of 39 messages
20/06/2012 at 16:15

I couldn't swim.............

I didn;t have a bike.....

Rafiki    pirate
20/06/2012 at 16:18

Dave....you could write a book about that........

20/06/2012 at 16:19

Never thought about that..

Did I mention I'm a crap runner as well

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/06/2012 at 16:34
Swimming, either complete inability or lack of confidence in OW, will feature for many people I would guess.

Cost (either real or perceived) will come up too.

My biggest hurdle to IM was convincing my wife that it could be done without devoting every waking moment to training.
20/06/2012 at 16:39
I couldn't swim either

Had lessons from May last year, in my first one I couldn't get from one side of the 23m pool to the other. I did my first tri at the end of June which was a 400m open water swim which took me a rather embarrassing 17 minutes. Just did Regensburg on Sunday and the swim took me 1 hour 25. I put this progress down to having a hot swimming coach, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to his classes half as frequently....
Ironholgs    pirate
20/06/2012 at 16:40

Mine are well documented.

Maybe I would have been better if I'd had a caravan.

20/06/2012 at 16:41

I'm hoping to do my first triathlon later this year, and come from a running background.  I am struggling with the swimming (in every sense - if it invovles swimming, I'm struggling with it) and the cycling (specifically, gears).  I have now had the first of five swimming lessons (pool), and hope to do my first OW session later this week.  Haven't overcome the problem with gears yet, but I'm hoping that it will suddenly click, so I guess I'm overcoming that by practice.

I was pondering yesterday what background is the best one to have.  I was thinking it woudl be nice to be an ace swimmer, or not have to worry about the bike leg.  On balance I think being confident about the run is probably best, but I may just be trying to make myself feel better!  I guess it might be different depending on distances as well - I can probably muddle through a short bike ride doing daft things with my gears, but an IM would be a different story.

Ironholgs    pirate
20/06/2012 at 16:56

I'll leave you to write that one me dear

20/06/2012 at 17:00

Convincing my OH that swimming and cycling weren't going to kill me, and that I would give up golf to pay for the kit I'd need.

The support from the massive was fantastic

20/06/2012 at 17:21

I'm actually coming from the (un)envious angle of someone who is yet to embark on the three sport challenge, so I might be able to provide a newbie angle.

Being of the Australian persuasion, I'm more than comfortable in the water, so swimming holds no fear for me thankfully.  But cycling - my lord - if I get passed by another pensioner on a rusted heap, I may cry.  I understand that it is just about time in the saddle for now, and I'm trying to teach my legs how to go the distance.

I recently finished my first marathon, so I know I can get there - but cost of the sport, nailing down cycling and finding time between my training and my OH (as well as the responsibility of raising an 8 month old!) makes it...challenging.

(note: Holgs - recently finished your book mate - cracking read!)

Iron Muffin    pirate
20/06/2012 at 17:25

I can swim (in a pool anyway) and can't run.

Running ability is taken for granted (unlike swimming) and I thought by 'just running' i may turn into a runner. I haven't and after Outlaw I am very tempted to focus on it for a while and look into the biomechanics and technique stuff (plus loosing more lard will help!)

PL, stick with the swimming. Spend time on technique and be patient. There is good stuff,like swimsmooth on the Internet to help as an alternative to lessons.

20/06/2012 at 18:12

I'm still very much at the start of my tri career and although the individual elements each have their challenges for me the biggest barrier has been the mental one.  I am committed to working hard at everything I do, but I go through serious down phases brought on by IBS (one feeds off the other) and so I often end up feeling depressed and demotivated coupled with an inability to eat. 

Once I've forced myself out the door for a swim/cycle/run I feel loads better and eat like a horse but its taking that first step, sometimes it feels like my feet are glued to the spot and no matter how hard I try they just won't move.  I'm hoping that building a routine will help and having a super supportive OH makes a world of difference.

20/06/2012 at 18:15

Couldnt swim, didnt have a bike and was crap at running.

I can now swim, have got a bike but still crap at running.

TheEngineer    pirate
20/06/2012 at 19:03

Cost was the main hurdle for me... So I graduated!

Other than that confidence on the bike was a major major limiter. Spending a solid week on two wheels in France was the start of the real slippery slope... 

20/06/2012 at 19:33

Main hurdle was hubby being supportive and not getting the right hump every time I left the house to train.    He got there eventually though with the supportive bit, to the point that I came home today to find two new pair of goggles that he had traipsed around getting for me so that I don't stress out at the lake tomorrow.

20/06/2012 at 19:37
kittenkat wrote (see)

But you had a caravan Dave... Those were the days...

No I didn't, Not by the time I took up Tri.....

The first Mrs Spartan came to support me doing the FLM, and made me wait 2 hours at the finish whilst she was still hitting Oxford St, and then cos she was knackered made me drive home !!!!

That's one of the reasons she became the Ex Mrs Spartan !!!

IronCat5    pirate
20/06/2012 at 20:46

It was swimming, then cost.

Once I had the wettie, the floodgates opened, swimming got better and I started to haemorrage money on tri.

Blisters    pirate
20/06/2012 at 22:04

Although I've still yet to compete/complete one (there's an L of a difference), my biggest challenge has been swimming. 25m of windmill crawl was my absolute limit, and after 6 weeks I have now graduated as far as being able to do 1000m. Nobody is more shocked than I.
I only got into it because I bought a bike, so that hurdle has been crossed.
Joining a tri club (for the swimming lessons and the Saturday bike ride) has been good, but their patience is thinning after I try and crash out the peleton each week.
It all reminds me that I ought to do a bit of running from time to time as well.

Lee the Pea    pirate
20/06/2012 at 22:09
Shit swimmer who couldn't do front crawl; no bike, and was slow when i got one; crap at running.

Haven't overcome any of theose impediments, apart from learning front crawl!
JvR
21/06/2012 at 08:27

I came from a running background so that held no fear for me.
As I bypassed pool-based and went straight to open water swimming in a wet suit was my biggest problem. I took 6 one-to-one swim lessons in order to sort out my front crawl and after doing a number of swims where I ended up resorting to breaststroke for a large part of the swim, went along to one of my local tri clubs sea swim sessions and was lucky enough that one of the other ladies swam with me and gave me pointers as to how to deal with the swim (stay calm and get into a rhythm). Was the first time I managed to do nearly 1000m open water front crawl, several weeks later I managed to do 3000m open water front crawl at one of the Open Water swims at Dorney.

My cycling is just plain rubbish as I'm really not confident on the bike. Going to work on it though as I need to improve my speed, handling skills and general confidence.

1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.