What would you expect?

On losing weight and exercise

21 to 26 of 26 messages
28/03/2013 at 10:13

Just buy a set of body fat scales and put them on "Sport" setting. Instant 10% off your lard count . I think it assumes that you're built like Chris Hoy or Jack Wilshire just by pressing the button.

Crash Hamster    pirate
28/03/2013 at 10:35

Yep, BMI is a population-level measure that can only be applied in individual cases where the person is of average composition; if you have more muscle than average (and I'm sure Will was really complimenting me on my Hoy-like quads* )it's largely meaningless. I suppose it works better up the fat end of the scale too, as it really doesn't matter how much muscle you've got if you're 34 stone; over 50% of your bodyweight will be made up of lard

* such as they are, I've got them from running; unfortunately in the last few weeks I've had three professionals in the fitness industry fall about laughing at the state of my puny hamstrings... and it's supposed to be the hamstrings that do the work! Hey ho...

28/03/2013 at 17:37

Read racing weight by Matt Fitzgerald - it reads well.  There are also a group of endurance athletes for whom a paleoesque diet is viable - you just have to do a lot of planning and making of your own food - you just eat some of the better carbs eg sweet potatoes, bananas, lara bars etc directly before, during and directly after training, and at other times avoid them.  

IronCat5    pirate
28/03/2013 at 22:21

I'll agree that 16st of mainly muscle (i.e. rugby player) is likely to be a damn-sight fitter and healthier than 16st of lard.

For a given height both will have the same BMI. If that BMI tends towards the larger end of the scale it's telling them their body is not supposed to support that kind of loading. Fat or muscle is irrelevant when it comes down to knees/hips/etc.

Doner Kebab    pirate
28/03/2013 at 23:48

but it still dont account for skeletal differences

IronCat5    pirate
29/03/2013 at 12:28
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

but it still dont account for skeletal differences

Accepted.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.