where am I?

"tracking" lone cyclist

41 to 51 of 51 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/03/2013 at 13:12

it's things going wrong other than a puncture that worry me - I've ready Holgs book! Broken seat posts, broken chains etc  obviously that could just be Holgs but I'm only a little pixie with a little bike (the boys where I used to work said it was a kiddie bike!)

Todays loop was just over 25m and I can see myself doing that again especially as there is a couple of villages with shops meaning I won't have to go to the house and risk not getting back on the bike!!!

WildWill    pirate
10/03/2013 at 18:35
Edited: 10/03/2013 at 18:36
11/03/2013 at 10:18

Paid version of Runtastic (about 4 quid) does live tracking, and also gives you a pretty good basic training site to upload your stats to. I used it for a couple of years until I went over to Garmin, and I still have the runtastic pinging on the bike when I'm out on my own for backup (blacked out once when I was on the bike - don't think I'll do it again, as I know what went wrong, but no harm in having the backup there).

11/03/2013 at 12:58

paid version of Endomondo app does it.
its not expensive, and someone can follow you on the website.

11/03/2013 at 13:16

I don't cycle, but as I run on my own my OH likes to know that I am safe. I have an app call 'Where's my droid' which is free. If you have GPS on, if the other person texts a set password to you it will reply with a link to your location of google maps. I use it when I'm doing races too so my family can work out when they are going to see me.

The app also has another handy feature which if someone texts a different password to you it will switch your phone off silent onto the loudest setting and ring until you find it (handy if like me you always lose your phone!)

I know you can also have live tracking on the paid for version of runkeeper, but I don't use it.  

11/03/2013 at 14:26

Hi EP

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

wilkie when I say pants I mean on the flat I'm about 15-16mph (if dead flat no wind!) but give me a hill and I die. 12-13mph over a ride for me They'd laugh

That is not a pants speed EP!  I don't average that much on the flat with no wind.........although of course that might just mean that I'm pants too 

Wilkie wrote (see)

That's the sort of average speed that the group I ride with go at.  It's call a 'social ride' 

Yep Wilkie - my bike group does that speed average and that's a tri club.  Sure there are the testerone boys hammering out 80 miles at 20mph (or more) but there are different ability groups and ours is more gentile

Also long group rides go so much more quickly than solo efforts.  People may advocate solo efforts for mental toughness and that can certainly be true but I didn't do a single long solo effort last year and still got through a very long ride on the day last year without getting bored (surprisingly!)

Edited: 11/03/2013 at 14:27
12/03/2013 at 09:24

Have noted ALL of the apps and advice - thanks for the great question EP. Cycling confidence diminishes as I get further from rescue!

Acutally have 'convinced' myself that a 15 mile loop is a really good idea as events that I've done so far have been 'loop repeats' and it's good training for 'mind set'... have done figures of eight when really afraid of getting lost on the darker afternoons.

WildWill    pirate
12/03/2013 at 09:29

The PRO version of the Runtastic app allso allows remote live tracking .. ive been testing the free version and quite like it so may upgrade to the pro ... its less than  £5 for andriod so not bad

cougie    pirate
12/03/2013 at 09:36
You're an android will ! That's your secret ! I'm surprised the swim doesn't short circuit you.
12/03/2013 at 09:45

I just love that it's called 'runtastic' ...sounds like 'go faster stripes'!

WildWill    pirate
12/03/2013 at 10:15

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 51 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.