where am I?

"tracking" lone cyclist

1 to 20 of 39 messages
cougie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:11
Google maps will show you if you have a signal.
Google latitude can show people your current position
Maybe take a flare gun too - just in case ?
09/03/2013 at 14:11

If you can tell someone the name of the road you are on, they can look that up on google maps.

There is something you can put on an iphone which pinpoints you.  

My kind-of brother-in-law uses it on his 14-year-old daughter, much to her disgust.  It shows the phone's location on a map.

09/03/2013 at 14:38
EP no local clubs you can join to get some training partners ?
Less techie solution plan your routes on a road map then when you have a snag ring hubbie and he should be able to work out where to find you
09/03/2013 at 14:43
EP another thing on long rides plan and do 20 mile ish loops around your house it saves carrying loads of gels and drink as your house becomes your pitstop/ aidstation
If you hit a snag the furthest away you will be is 20 miles not 40+
09/03/2013 at 14:44
Nobody is to pants for a good club they should cater for all levels
09/03/2013 at 14:49
EP also is this just a "wibble" as long as you are confident that you can fix punctures and minor mechanicals, carry a couple of tubes and basic tools and a phone in case of a serious crash you shouldn't need bailing out, i cant think of a time in 20 odd years of doing this where Mrs RBM has had to rescue me
Dustboy    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:51

Wot RBM said about loops was useful to me in IM bike training. Boring as hell but you don't get lost and the car was never more than 4 miles away.

09/03/2013 at 15:02
Tbh apart from punctures if your bikes well maintained its unlikely to fall to bits on a long ride if you get niggles or worn bits get em changed before they become a problem on the road
One of my training buddies does my head in we are always stopping because his bike is a bag of sh!te you bodge it so we can get back and he turns up without it fixed properly the next week gggrrrrrr!
cougie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:07
Id not bother stopping for him the next time something happens.
SaintB    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:13
EP, I think the paying version of endomondo does live tracking now. http://blog.endomondo.com/2010/06/25/the-worlds-first-truly-free-live-tracking-tool-is-now-live/
Don't know how it'd work though.
SaintB    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:15
Or, as others have said about before, latitude is a free option.
09/03/2013 at 15:22
EP change the tyres its good puncture practice
09/03/2013 at 15:35
Tbh a small pump a tube and some patches are all you need to carry race day its 112 miles chances are you will be fine
BluePeter    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:39
EP I'm no good at advising where to attach your phone to your bike as I donated my iphone to a country road somewhere last week!
However I know mapmyrun app does a live tracking but it an be battery sapping. Do you need something to get you home or in case of an emergency you need the family to know where you are?
The app 'outside' is pretty good-it is ordnance survey maps. Or as stated above endomondo. But if running constantly will drain the battery if out for 3/4 hours plus.
09/03/2013 at 15:42
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

i'm way to pants for a club

Hopefully this is all unneccessary!

Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
Nobody is to pants for a good club they should cater for all levels

This is true - I'm pretty pants, and always at the back, but since I joined a club I've cycled to places I'd never even heard of before 

Look up your local club - they should have groups for all abilities, and they should also be happy to let you come along for a couple of rides before you decide on joining.

Edited: 09/03/2013 at 15:42
09/03/2013 at 15:49

That's the sort of average speed that the group I ride with go at.  It's call a 'social ride' 

The club has several groups - any good club should do, and should be looking to encourage people to start.

Just have a look for local clubs, they should have a website, see what that says.

BluePeter    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:51
Might be better with the shorter loops if riding alone. Also, I think that phone apps that throw out a GPS signal need a 3G signal as well, so if your middle of nowhere it may be useless. Well, it was for me when trying to use 'findmyiphone'. Might be worth putting a post n the outlaw thread and see if anyone wants a regular long ride near where you are.
09/03/2013 at 15:59

EP you don't ever need to go that far from home, find a loop that's close enough to ride out too and repeat the loop then ride home. I often do long rides like that or in a petal shape around home with little loops in different directions just to vary the scenery. I take my mobile in my bento box with some money and wear road ID. Husband is often out doing his long ride at the same time so there's no one to rescue me though in extremis I would call a neighbour or friend - not convenient but it's not likely to happen very often and I'd do the same for them.

If you're really worried look for 'reliability rides' in the local area (much cheaper than sportives) or audax or Evans 'ride it' http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it

Britrisky    pirate
09/03/2013 at 16:10
CTC do rides in groups at different levels, you could also look at SkyRide.

I have an app called Glympse which shows where I am, although I only tend to use it when I'm less than an hour away ... It often means a hot meal awaits as soon as I get in!!
Dustboy    pirate
09/03/2013 at 17:05

Actually, I've done a couple of skyrides, they are quite good, especially if you are not Wiggo or whatever and you can take your nippers along if they can ride. And it's very well designed to look after the less able or not so confident.

To make it interesting for me, I go on a single speed so when they are cogging down to go up a small incline, it makes it a bit more of a challenge for me. TBH, I have thoroughly enjoyed each one.

1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.