where am I?

"tracking" lone cyclist

1 to 20 of 51 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:08

Folks I'm starting to have the wibbles about being ot alone for hours on my IM training rides and wonder if there is some kind of device/app that I can attach to me/my bike or android phone that says where I am in case of emergancy.

I'm not very good on the roads round were I live as I recognise places but have no idea where I am and husband only knows how to get to work!

So in the case of an emergancy and me needing help he'd be a little lost.

Any suggestions?

cougie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:11
Google maps will show you if you have a signal.
Google latitude can show people your current position
Maybe take a flare gun too - just in case ?
09/03/2013 at 14:11

If you can tell someone the name of the road you are on, they can look that up on google maps.

There is something you can put on an iphone which pinpoints you.  

My kind-of brother-in-law uses it on his 14-year-old daughter, much to her disgust.  It shows the phone's location on a map.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:28

only have a cheap HTC Wilkie!

Will look into the google options as being slow I will be out for ages and although hubby gives the not concerned about me being out face I know if I called for help he would panic as he won't have a clue!

I always say I am going to X place but it's meaningless really!

09/03/2013 at 14:38
EP no local clubs you can join to get some training partners ?
Less techie solution plan your routes on a road map then when you have a snag ring hubbie and he should be able to work out where to find you
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:41

i'm way to pants for a club

Hopefully this is all unneccessary!

09/03/2013 at 14:43
EP another thing on long rides plan and do 20 mile ish loops around your house it saves carrying loads of gels and drink as your house becomes your pitstop/ aidstation
If you hit a snag the furthest away you will be is 20 miles not 40+
09/03/2013 at 14:44
Nobody is to pants for a good club they should cater for all levels
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:44

true

that's a good plus

09/03/2013 at 14:49
EP also is this just a "wibble" as long as you are confident that you can fix punctures and minor mechanicals, carry a couple of tubes and basic tools and a phone in case of a serious crash you shouldn't need bailing out, i cant think of a time in 20 odd years of doing this where Mrs RBM has had to rescue me
Dustboy    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:51

Wot RBM said about loops was useful to me in IM bike training. Boring as hell but you don't get lost and the car was never more than 4 miles away.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:52

I can change a puncture very slowly (need to improve just in case!) but have no mechanical skills other than getting a chain back on.

I did look for a basic skills course but nothing near me.

I have a DVD & book  but that's the sort of things you would do at home not on the road

I'm from a running back ground and my tris to date have been short! Not needed to do long distances or loads of hours.

09/03/2013 at 15:02
Tbh apart from punctures if your bikes well maintained its unlikely to fall to bits on a long ride if you get niggles or worn bits get em changed before they become a problem on the road
One of my training buddies does my head in we are always stopping because his bike is a bag of sh!te you bodge it so we can get back and he turns up without it fixed properly the next week gggrrrrrr!
cougie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:07
Id not bother stopping for him the next time something happens.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:12

Just had my bike serviced (my LBS are loving me doing Outlaw!) so should be OK

I do need to change the tyres - purchased and sat in garage!

09/03/2013 at 15:13
EP, I think the paying version of endomondo does live tracking now. http://blog.endomondo.com/2010/06/25/the-worlds-first-truly-free-live-tracking-tool-is-now-live/
Don't know how it'd work though.
09/03/2013 at 15:15
Or, as others have said about before, latitude is a free option.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100426122412AABonfp
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:19

thanks guys!

Free is good!!

09/03/2013 at 15:22
EP change the tyres its good puncture practice
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 15:29

I know

I also have silly 650 wheels so know i need to carry stuff at outlaw as it's unlikely that the van will have anything

1 to 20 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.