which bike

how do i choose.

1 to 20 of 43 messages
01/09/2003 at 11:47
need a new bike, want to do tris starting next spring, will be investing around january time, how do i choose. will possibly have 4-500squids (no more, as i may have to buy a car too - for approx same cost) Currently get around on big brothers ancient dawes racing bike which is quite heavy by nowadays standards (its about 14 years old) but will do for getting fit on. Really can't buy yet as have no money spare, but want to be fairly knowledgeable by the time i do buy.
01/09/2003 at 12:09
Moosey,
Do you know anyone close to you who's into bikes? If so 2nd hand market is a good place to start...
Failing that you can get 'decent' new ones for the kind of money yer looking at spending...
WildWill    pirate
01/09/2003 at 13:34
At the back end of the year there are normally pleanty of bargins around due to bike shops wanting to clear space for the new seasons stock
01/09/2003 at 13:50
When I asked the same question on a cycling forum, I was recommended a Orbea Larrau.

They are around £500. Still haven't bought one yet though.
AndrewSmith    pirate
01/09/2003 at 21:03
there are loads of suitable bikes for less than 400 quid. get a cycling weekly or other cycling mag and you will find bargains. many are mail order which is no problem as long as you make sure it is the right size. you may want to go for a hybrid if you want to use it for recreational cycling as well. most tris, shorter ones anyway, will let you do it on a non specific road bike. And don't get caught up in the this is dearer so its faster or better or whatever, triathlon is as anal as cycling so there will always be someone telling you that you need this or that to make you faster. Bottom line is its the legs that turn over the cranks. even a 5k bike don't ride its self. I did my first Ironman on a £40 old raleigh from a local ad and it did the job. One thing you should have are gear changers incorporated into the brake levers they make a lot of difference to your comfort and ease of changing especially on climbs. Good luck.
Kanga (M.)    pirate
01/09/2003 at 21:33
Moosey - might be nowhere near you but Halfords at Sutton (nr Croydon) had a few 2002 racers going for £225, and not a bad spec (according to biking mate with me at the time) Brand spanking, just been lost in the store room all this time apparently ...
01/09/2003 at 21:36
Ooo - I live in Sutton, must pop down and have a look tomorrow.

Where do you live Kanga?
Kanga (M.)    pirate
01/09/2003 at 22:15
Southfields. With Mrs & Wee Kanga back in Oz at the mo I've been hitting the tow paths and cycle tracks. On Sunday we followed the Wandle trail from Earlsfield to Carshalton, then with the bottom bracket seizing up headed for the bright lights of Sutton and thankfully Halfords, for a little lubrication.
cougie    pirate
02/09/2003 at 00:12
Moosey - Cycling weekly is a good bet.
Also when you are out cycling - look out for where all the cyclists hang out - cafes. They sometimes have notice boards there where you can pick up bargains.

The frame is the most important bit - if its good and it fits you, then you can upgrade the rest of the bits over time.

What height are you btw ? If you are tall then you'll be onto a better chance as there are more bigger guys bikes open to you.
02/09/2003 at 10:28
5ft8and an important half.

but most of that is my extra long neck.
02/09/2003 at 10:37
:o(

So what hope is there for me, when my 12-year-old daughter's bike is too big for me?
cougie    pirate
02/09/2003 at 10:45
Tee hee. Er, how long is your neck ? Have you had it stretched like that tribe in Africa ?

JJ - depends on how tall your 12 year old is ! How tall are you ?
02/09/2003 at 10:48
5'5".

So's she, but her legs are two inches longer.
02/09/2003 at 11:01
i've never measured my neck. will go and find a ruler....
cougie    pirate
02/09/2003 at 11:03
JJ - what's your inside leg then ? You normally take around 9" off to get to your frame size.

(how do you measure necks anyway - cos I know I'll want to compare mine now)
02/09/2003 at 11:21
29.5 - what's yours?

:o)
cougie    pirate
02/09/2003 at 11:27
33ish for me.

So you'd be after about a 20" frame - that's pretty standard really - lotsa choice.

Or is that your neck ??? Would explain why your head seems much bigger than your body, it's almost 3 foot closer ! Deceptive eh ?
WildWill    pirate
02/09/2003 at 11:32
inch!

I thought road bikes were in CMs

I'm 6'2" but only ride a 19" MTB
cougie    pirate
02/09/2003 at 11:48
Awww - don't go bringing all that new fangled Sloping top tube MTB stuff into it Will ! ;-)

Don't they still do the frame size horizontally, so that its the size it would be if it weren't a slopy one ?
02/09/2003 at 11:50
neck - from dent in clavicle (v shaped bit) to under chin is 5", from slope of shoulder to ear lobe is 6".

whats everyone else?
1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.