which Ironman course is hardest

would you agree with these scorings

1 to 20 of 67 messages
seren nos    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:02

http://www.trirating.com/course-ratings/

I know that its all personal......but its interesting that these work on individual years as well

have you done many of them and do you agree

cougie    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:16
Ooh that probably looks about right to me. Henley didnt have the huge climbs of Switzerland and France but I don't think it had a mile of flat either.

(makes note never to enter Wales)
M...eldy    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:24

Interestingly tho this years Lanza scored much higher ...

Having not done the US ones it makes it a little difficult to see the comparisons but I think Wales v Lanza v UK is a good comparison

12/09/2013 at 17:26

Cool, looking forward to Wales next year!

But with UK at #10, the others down the list must be very, very flat.  UK had a few bumps and one big hill on the bike, but nothing significant on the run. 

seren nos    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:30

will be interesting to see what this years wales gets.the first year had a mega hard score and last years wasn't so bad at all........but lanza had a harder year than the last few

12/09/2013 at 17:38

Here we go again 

seren nos    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:38

I think you will find my first words were.....It is all personal...

Darkness    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:39

I have only done 1 official IM but as it was Wales I agree 100%!   Especially as that was in the "mega hard" year.

Edited: 12/09/2013 at 17:40
cougie    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:41
I think its always fairly interesting to see how races compare. It's only a bit of fun.
Darkness    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:43

KK, I think a flat course is easier for everyone. 

A hilly course may mean a mountain goat can finish further up the rankings but I don't believe anyone finds it easier to run uphill than on the flat, generally speaking.

So I think the generalisation stands (IMO of course!)

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:44

As a Wales and Lanza finisher, does that make me we'll 'ard

Darkness    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:47
kittenkat wrote (see)

Whilst it would be interesting to see how the elites battle the courses and the differences, I get a 'small' feeling that some regular people might like to feel better that others because they've done a 'harder' IM?

Yep, I wouldn't disagree - that is the lure of the hard courses.  Not all Ironman races are created equal. 

You then get into the debate about is it better to have done an easier course faster or to have just completed the harder course.

Best just not to take any of it too seriously as it isn't very exclusive any more anyhows.

12/09/2013 at 17:49

Pingu, yep!

12/09/2013 at 17:55

Yeah, Pingu, but not as hard as TripleHardLanzaWalesIronMousie   

funkin has done Wanaka (he always says it was nowhere near as tough as everyone said it was), Lanza (as he expected it to be but he could have gone harder, even though it was a windy bike year), UK (harder run than Lanza, as mostly up or down, little flat - and he was racing as hard as he could which probably didn't help matters)...soon he'll try out one of those other "top ten" courses and then of course Nice next year for The Sailing.

I think it's interesting, his PeeBee is now Bolton and his previous was at Roth, I don't know what that means except perhaps he's got better since 2010.

seren nos    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:55

That makes you a top nutter Pingu.

seren nos    pirate
12/09/2013 at 17:59

and KK if you want a debate why not join in this thread

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/what-are-your-personal-barriers-to-improvement/261077.html

I notice once again you start a thread but can't be arsed to put what you think on the subject....or are you just starting threads on topics you don't care 2 shits about just to increase your thread count....

anyway i will return to having a look at the complicated rating systems that are giving and try and make sense of it all

seren nos    pirate
12/09/2013 at 18:09

the fastest swim is 44:13..........wow...i struggle to get half done in that time

Blisters    pirate
12/09/2013 at 18:26

Meeow girls.

Mountain goats apart, I think that for "hard" we ought to read "not fast". So a flat couse in Florida in winter may be identified as fast, hence one reason that it sells out in minutes. There are of course other reasons like location. Other flattish courses are known as particular hell holes, such as Kona. It doesn't make them easier.

Lanza could fall into the hot category. As could a fair few others. Add hills for spice. Add a nice ocean swell. Subtract the heat, add autumnal gales and speak Welsh....

Darkness    pirate
12/09/2013 at 18:29

seren nos wrote (see)

will be interesting to see what this years wales gets.the first year had a mega hard score and last years wasn't so bad at all........

seren, the big change looks to be to the run with the bike still mega hard. I heard that the run course was short in 2012 which probably explains it.

12/09/2013 at 18:33

Think Mouser said Lanza over Wales, just.

I imagine the likes of The Brutal, Celtman, Norseman or Embruman would be off that scale.

1 to 20 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.