Which wetsuit?

5 messages
14/03/2013 at 11:28

Having decided to take the plunge at Wimbleball, I'm now looking for a wetsuit, undeterred by the fact that I've never swam 1.2 miles or in open water. Swimmimg seems to be coming on ok as long as I use a pull buoy since I seem to have heavy runners legs. I'm hoping a wetsuit will provide a similar level of buoyancy? I'm thinking 2xu T2/3 or Z1 or possibly something from Blue Seventy. Dont want to go nuts with expense since I dont know how much open water I'l do in the future. June will decide. Any thoughts?

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 11:30
14/03/2013 at 12:05

The wetsuit will normally provide more buoyancy than you would get from a pull buoy.

If your not sure about whether or not you will carry on with OW swimming have you thought about just hiring one for this year? It would be a cheaper option for you and then if you don't decide to carry on with it you wouldn't have spent 100-200 quid.

Fit is the main priority, you don't want it to tight, especially around the shoulders or they will fatigue quicker, if you can try and get to a shop that sells them and try a few on to see which fits is best.

14/03/2013 at 12:15

Several of the open water swimming venues have a "try before you buy" option with a range of wet suites on sale - may help you get the fit right and check what it is like in the water. May be worth checking out any local to you?

14/03/2013 at 17:50

Hadnt considered hiring, will have a look at that. Theres a good open water loch nearby which  you can hire to practice so I will experiment before then.

Blisters    pirate
16/03/2013 at 11:33

Getting the fit right is crucial. However, for triathlon wetties there is a broad range of size descriptions available, which include variables for height and weight.

Personally I bought from ebay, the guideling price is half to 2/3 of full price for a virtually unused, but last year's model.

The other approach is to buy an ex-hire suit. £50. The end of season is the right time to buy. Once spring arrives there will be fewer deals. Oh, the shops will shout about 10% discount, but they'll have put the price up first. Happy hunting.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.