Why Cannondale

21 to 40 of 150 messages
03/01/2004 at 08:29
I'll get my coat . . .
03/01/2004 at 09:23
At the end of the day everyone has their own opinion and im sure what ever the guy buys he is gonna love it?!

Nice day down here in cornwall. My coat has just floated down a river which was the main road!
03/01/2004 at 11:25
...and all that looks nice in a brochure or under the spotlight ain't going to make any difference if it sits in the garage.

Was reading Graeme Obree's book and looking at the machines (before old faithful) he was stuffing the opposition with. Fixed gear and upturned handlebars. Need I say more!
03/01/2004 at 14:18
No problem Jeff.

As the guy is quite new to racing I reckoned a stiff aluminium bike might be too uncomfortable. Don't know what airborne racing bikes are like but the MTBs are unbeatable.

Alan, Good point there's a lovely Paul Donahue 653 Campag record dream machine sitting in my garage. Rode it three times last year.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
03/01/2004 at 16:41
Thats a good point about stiffness, means nothing to me but ill certainly bear it in mind.

I have more or less decided to stick with a Cannondale, ill maybe ask for a test ride or something.

What exactly are the maon drawbacks of a stiff frame?

Oh, the good news is when I buy the bike and kit etc im taking a mate with me that has done Tri's and Ironman.

A sincere thank you for all your help and interest.
03/01/2004 at 22:52
Carl, Give any bike a good try first. Some people are happy with aluminium frames but I wouldn't be happy riding one to the paper shop.

Best of luck.

PS I once had a really pimpy racing bike that I built myself and I liked looking at it so much I hung it on the bedroom wall so I could see it when I woke up. The wife wasn't too impressed. Oh, and I didn't ride it for a week cos it was raining and I didn't want to get it wet
04/01/2004 at 02:54
Thats funny, actually was wondering where to keep mine as shed isnt secure and was thinking of using the hall. Might just get some mountings and keep it on bedroom wall...
06/01/2004 at 12:12
Same thoughts as the chap who started this tread only on a smaller budget. Considering R500. New to triathlon but know Cannondale through my MTB'ing. Any thoughts on this bike or a bike of the same money (no more maybe slightly less(£500-£700)).
06/01/2004 at 12:16
my bike is alu but with carbon forks and wheels, which takes out some of the stiffness and works quite well

not sure how long the forks will last though!
06/01/2004 at 13:31
Check out the 'giant ocr'range. There are also some good deals on last seasons if you are small enough.

Giant road bikes are 'compact' which is a small frame providing ultimate stiffness in a very good price range!

Ive ridden compacts for the last 4 years and have taken one to 2 world 'Duathlon'champs and with access to many other brands i find the 'Giants' are not only more responsive than most, they are light on the wallet.
06/01/2004 at 13:50
Why keep your bike hidden in the bedroom? Our bikes are kept in the dining room. They are both objects of beauty, so it's not a problem.

cougie    pirate
06/01/2004 at 13:53
Maybe he wants 'privacy' with his bike.
It's a looker ya know ! ;-)
06/01/2004 at 14:26
I'll have to have a look at Giant OCR bikes aswell then. Had been looking out of a good deal on a last years bike but most deals seem to be on smaller bikes, I'm just a fraction under the 6foot mark and have been told I should probably be looking for a 58cm frame. Most of the stock left seems to 52-54cm frames.
06/01/2004 at 16:46
Newbie,
You would be a Medium size frame if you looked at the 'Giant' range.

There is a shop called'cycle logic' that do custom builds using last years frames which would save you money.
08/01/2004 at 15:01
I had a cannondale, it was a really responsive and nice to race bike, but for training week in week out I found it to be really stiff and uncomfortable, in fact I had a steel bike for training in the end. These days I have a Quintana Roo, which I find perfect for training and racing, have a look at the trueno at www.rooworld.com
09/01/2004 at 10:26
I must say im getting a bit worried about the 'harsness' and 'stiffness' of the Cannondale that has been referred to many times.

What are the implications / main drawbacks of a harsh/stiff frame. What will it mean on those long 80mile rides i'll be doing (will my arse hurt?).

cougie    pirate
09/01/2004 at 10:45
MMmm Eternal Twinkler has a Roo as well, so he'd know about those too.

I think the ride is all personal taste.
Pros can ride them for 140 miles at a time, so it's obviously not impossible.

I usually ride Steel, and lately with carbon forks and that's fine.

My TT bike is a Giant TCR - so that's aluminium, but again with the carbon fork, and I've ridden that for 100mile TT's with no worries.

My mate has a custom built fully aluminium Dave Lloyd though, and I rode that for a bit and hated it. But he finished a 12hour in good shape on it.

A test ride is essential really. What size tyres did you say you were getting ? I find 23mm to be the best for road bikes - more grip and comfort.
09/01/2004 at 11:51
Tyres are

Tires - Hutchinson Reflex, 700 x 23c Kevlar

Gather the 23c must mean they are 23mm?

To right ill ask for a test ride though dont thibk a quick go on a turbo trainer or even round the block will letr me appreciate how ill feel after 40 miles.

Still it'll give me some idea.
cougie    pirate
09/01/2004 at 11:56
Yeah - 23mm is the width - good sensible choice.

A quick ride would be better than nothing.
09/01/2004 at 12:48
ooh the roo TiPhoon looks nice... how much are they??
21 to 40 of 150 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.