Why Cannondale

101 to 120 of 150 messages
13/01/2004 at 15:38
We?

Is it a forum bicycle thingy then? C'n i have a go? I'm nearly six-foot-and-three-quartersofaninch...give or take eight inches or so.
cougie    pirate
13/01/2004 at 15:43
Hey - I got posting 100 !! Yaaaay !

I'm thinking a forum tandem Jj - you can sit on the back with no need for stabilisers !
13/01/2004 at 17:45
TiPhoon frame

Just for Ironmans (Ironmen?) and suitably long training rides
13/01/2004 at 17:46
If it's got a li'l basket that would be perfect.
13/01/2004 at 17:47
hence the wheels... i erred on the side of general purpose rather than going for sexy 3 spokes
cougie    pirate
13/01/2004 at 21:44
V sensible - Tri spokes are best for competition only. Are you having tribars on the bike full time ?
13/01/2004 at 23:02
yip - bar end shifters
13/01/2004 at 23:13
[snigger]
14/01/2004 at 09:47
come on then mr expert give us a list of components

if you can rob or ram raid them for me locally that would be a bonus, otherwise i'll 'buy' them from trisports (if a scouser can get his head round the concept ;-) )
cougie    pirate
14/01/2004 at 09:55
Tee hee hee.

Sounds like you have it sorted !

Dura Ace will last you forever - v reliable and light. If you wanna save a bit of money then Ultegra is pretty similar, but not as long lasting.

As for wheels - lots out there. I was tempted by the Rolf Vector type wheels, but if you snap a spoke, then the wheel is unrideable. With conventional spoked wheels - you can still manage it.

(mate bust a spoke in his rear Vector on his first climb up Alpe d'Huez this year, and to carry on riding - had to buy a pair of Ksyriums !)

Mavic are good wheels - hubs are sooo smooth. I use the cheaper Cosmos for Road stuff with some deeper rim Cosmics for TT's. Stay away from deep rims though as they aren't a good all rounder, and can be lethal in cross winds.

Stems are personal choice - lots out there, but the flip flop ones can give you a choice of angles.

Bars - I quite like wide and deep bars to help open the lungs up. Cinelli are very good.

Seatpost - having pulled the insert out of two lightweight seatposts I'm not that keen on saving weight here - I prefer to know that my saddle will still be there when I sit down, so I'd go for a one piece. I think mine is Dura Ace.

Pedals - most people ride Look, but depends what you are used to really.
14/01/2004 at 10:24
ok thanks

i got the impression there were loads of other bits to specify though, like the thing that connects the bars to the top of the forks

if not, then fine and dandy
14/01/2004 at 10:34
are 45mm rims considered deep, or are these ok for general use??
cougie    pirate
14/01/2004 at 10:37
Aaah - the headset. No strong opinions on that - in fact - I can't recall any of mine !

Only other things left would be saddle, bottle cages, tyres, gear ratios, spokey dokeys.

45mm rims are fairly deep, and I'd imagine they deflect a fair bit in the wind. I was getting blown about a bit on Sunday, and that was just with conventional wheels.
Monique    pirate
14/01/2004 at 11:00
Ah spokey dokeys- something I know about- need any help choosing make, shape, colours just let me know.
14/01/2004 at 11:13
i suppose i could get 45mm ones, and then switch the bontrager ones from my trek across if it was windy

but practically, how much difference would they make? is it something like 1lb of drag and therefore 0.2 mph difference, in which case i'd forget it its not worth the hassle

what about those tinselly things that danglr from the handlebars? which do you recommend?
14/01/2004 at 11:18
The headset will come with the frame, thats providing you want the 'ti-phoon'.
It will be a Cane Creek IS headset which is integral.

14/01/2004 at 11:28
If you are doing an 'ironman'such as Austria then deep section wheels wil make quite a differance. The course is very fast(sub 5 hrs) so if your average speed is up then the aerodynamics of the wheels should give you an advantage.

cougie    pirate
14/01/2004 at 11:39
Might it be worth getting two sets of wheels ?

A lightweight set for hilly courses and a set of deeper aero wheels for the flatter ones ? Quite a few of the Tri courses I've seen have been very hilly.
14/01/2004 at 11:58
It is worth having 2 sets if you can afford to buy two. I live in Cornwall and most of the Tri's are hilly though when i travel i do seem to use my 'Hed Alpes'alot. The wheels i use for climbing are ksyrium's, which are a realy good alrounder.

14/01/2004 at 11:59
ok then - HED alps, and i can switch the bontragers off my other bike if it gets windy

or maybe HED 3 spoke???

or maybe 3 spoke rear, alps front??

i'm doing austria and florida this year, both of which are fast
101 to 120 of 150 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.