Wind

And not the beans for breakfast type

7 messages
TheEngineer    pirate
31/03/2011 at 22:09
Okay so I did a ride today in a Met Office "Severe Weather Warning"...

Managed 27 miles at roughly 12.5mph average. I conducted a bit of geekery though and pulled up the wind data for the nearest available weather station during my ride. Turns out the wind didn't drop below 30km/h and was recorded gusting at up to 63.5km/h.

This may well sound like boasting but it wasn't a very good ride and I was farked after... has anyone any experience of accounting for the impact of wind? Is there a way of normalising this - the average speed for my effort today is just a bit disheartening

Also, post your fun wind stories please.
Ironholgs    pirate
01/04/2011 at 08:34
Can't offer anything technical : basically if it's windy on the bike it's bloody hard work and slightly less enjoyable, especially if accompanied by horizontal rain ( the type that tends to follow me around ) I know that on occassion I've not got above 7mph on the flat on the coastal road here ( and no that wan't in perfect conditions before some smart arse pipes up about my crap cycling! )
TheEngineer    pirate
01/04/2011 at 08:52
Before I went to bed last night I tried estimation of surface area and drag coefficient to see if I could generate a table of relative energy expenditure, but I don't know how relevant this is given the massive assumptions I made. So I'm still in the dark.

All I know is my legs are knackered.

PS. Holgs I just finished your book last week... great read and probably part of the reason I was out on the bike in the first place (combined with beating Viking in the points game for the month). You b*stards!
Edited: 01/04/2011 at 08:53
01/04/2011 at 09:03
SlowEngineer wrote (see)
Before I went to bed last night I tried estimation of surface area and drag coefficient to see if I could generate a table of relative energy expenditure, but I don't know how relevant this is given the massive assumptions I made. So I'm still in the dark.

What does all that mean?

01/04/2011 at 09:05
I think what you meant to say was "if the wind is behind me i go fast, if the wind is in front of me I go slower".....................
Ironholgs    pirate
01/04/2011 at 09:09

Ahh now I understand - thanks FF, that's engineers for you - my dad was one

Slow - just remember it's all Vikings fault, even the wind.

TheEngineer    pirate
01/04/2011 at 09:14
Exactly FF. But if you are skinny and aero with penis helmets and things then you go faster. Apparently.

Drag is a funny thing. Especially the eyeliner.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.