winter bugs

whos got the lurgy?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
Bedders..    pirate
08/12/2009 at 08:33
Someone about 2 years ago told me that they had eaten one Kiwi fruit a day for the last 5 years and never had a cold/cough etc.....I was sceptical but I have also now Kiwi fruited every day for the last year and have not had the slightest sign of a cold etc...just an idea and I have no way of proving it works or not.
08/12/2009 at 09:00
Kiwi fruits by the ton being brought at lunchtime today to many people in the office coughing and sniffing for my liking
purpletrilady    pirate
08/12/2009 at 18:41
mmmm.... puts Kiwis on shopping list....
09/12/2009 at 01:00

Definately worth a try! Probably Vit C but maybe there is more in them...

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
09/12/2009 at 11:45

I'll give it a go, though I'm sceptical - OH eats kiwis but I can't say he's been cold-free.

I think it's more likely to be that you are naturally immune if you don't catch colds. I don't generally catch anything (crosses fingers and toes, touches wood.....) but rarely eat kiwis. I do however eat tons of other fruit and veg. Vit C comes to mind.

09/12/2009 at 11:57

Two days sick   Back in work today but still feeling rough.

The acupunture / eating kiwis / taking vit C / wearing pink socks stuff is all b*ll*cks.  You can improve your immune system by eating a healthy balanced diet and keeping fit but any improvement in your wellbeing from any of these "remedies" is purely anecdotal and is not backed up by scientific trials.

09/12/2009 at 11:57
Sorry....... bad science is my bug bear!
09/12/2009 at 14:53
But Mr W if you believe its doing you some good then it probably will.  You've just got to admire the power of the placebo effect.  Why not take a double dose of placebo? Its been shown that 2 sugar pills are better than 1, so have 2 kiwi fruit, or wear pink gloves to go with your pink socks. 
09/12/2009 at 15:25
Good point, Timeout, although the placebo effect won't stop you catching a cold.  It will just reduce the impact it has on you.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
09/12/2009 at 19:31
or...wot I sed.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.