Winter training rides in Kent and Surrey

Between October and March

221 to 240 of 370 messages
01/10/2011 at 22:27

I thank you for your faith in me Soupy but if you remember the one and only time I ventured out of the flat lands to the Surrey Hills I ended up walking parts of 3 of the 6 hills and we only went down Whitedown

It is safe to say I'm not built for hills  or at least the upflat type ones

But the burger at the end was nice

Dustboy    pirate
02/10/2011 at 00:36
Makes note to invite Podds on Dustboys mostly flattish ride.

Good effort by all today, fantastic weather.

Excellent warm up for a Smiffy ride. His have hills though. Today we did just over half of Tootles Loop, ex Box Hill and Leith and that other one I can't remember which is only just short of the Whitedown league.

Lord H's mate Cordon Crash should be spoiling a nice shiner tomorrow after binning it on the Ranmore hairpin. Brand new bike, not even first service done apparently. He did look a bit of a mess and very very raw with lots of luvly open gravel rash.

Saffers is now a serious force to be reckoned with, Trogs has never given me death look before and Soupy was on a roll after eating her Meldy bar. And Ferret was brilliant as usual as head shepherd, whilst simply annihilating any lump thrown at him.

Winter rides will be North Downs way from Newlands on the MTB. Buy one. ;O)

Thanks for coming guys. Top ride.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
02/10/2011 at 06:33
You didn't see the guys doing the full Oly road race route (inc all 9 laps of Box) on Boris bikes? I bumped into them on their last climb up the hill - one had resorted to walking it, the other rode all 9. The looks on some of the roadies faces when he pulled up at the cafe next to their carbon bling was priceless.
Trogs    pirate
02/10/2011 at 07:40
We didn't go quite that far east Dave. Kind of wish we had now, just to see that spectacle
02/10/2011 at 09:03
I would have loved to have seen that CD! It would have been worth an extra climb (almost).
Dustboy    pirate
07/10/2011 at 16:49

Just an update, apparently "Cordon Crash" is recovering well from his "injuries" and his bike is due to be returned, repaired, shortly.

Apparently he had two further "clipless incidents", one at the sharp left off the main road going back towards Whitedown. Lord H turned and found the poor little soldier in a heap in the lay by and again at the Whitedown crossroads where he got the direction wrong and thought we were going straight on.

For some reason, bless him, he chose not to share this information with us at the time, but has said he would like to come out with us again!

Should I feel guilty? 

07/10/2011 at 16:54
Dusty, you're always 'Guilty'!!
When's the next one? I'll try to make it, as long as I don't have to drive to the ends of the country to take no.1 to another Uni open day!!
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
07/10/2011 at 18:41
Me me me me me too. Missed last weeks cos of work but thats not a problem anymore
07/10/2011 at 18:43
Oh poor Cordon Crash - and he still wants to come out to play again!  Glad he and bike are on the mend.  I'm itching to have another go at Whitedown now I've had my bike fit. I feel like I've had half an extra engine fitted.  My saddle is higher and further back, my cleats are set up right, my stem is shorter and I've got a new saddle on order. Twas a good session that took nearly 3 hours and I go back next month for some tweaking when the new saddle comes into stock. Might get tri bars fitted at the same time.
IronCat5    pirate
07/10/2011 at 19:09
Where did you get your fit Soupy?
07/10/2011 at 19:11
Cat  - It was a Specialized BG fit at the concept store in Ruislip.  Cost a lot but it was very thorough with flexibility assesment and everything. 
Dustboy    pirate
07/10/2011 at 20:00
I'll get checking on the diary. That was indeed a nice route and if I am honest, quite fancy it again. As everyone was so fresh after, might even extend it to Boxhill, especially if Trogs can lead us down the back passage again back to the bottom?

Now Siggy, I would just like to point out in advance that SOUPY has requested Whitedown again. Therefore, don't blame me.

I will also be running "The Crease" again soon. 28 miles, 300M climbing, 2 hour ride. Lovely route, mostly downhill! Nothing you need get out of the saddle for, runs from Pirbright Village Green. Quite a fast route and some aerobar practice. No burger bar but there are a couple of pubs on the green serving food at lunchtime. Saffers did a bit of it once, tell 'em it woz nice dear. Mostly wide roads with relatively low traffic.

Currently also working on another Newlands based mostly flat route bar gettin back up the lump to Newlands and one other upflat, which Siggy can tell you all about as I haven't been up it yet. Oops!
07/10/2011 at 20:10
especially if Trogs can lead us down the back passage again back to the bottom?
<snigger> What did I miss??!!!
I think the only person who'll get up that one Dusty is Smiffy!!
Bike fit sound very interesting Soupy! I'll look into that.
Trogs    pirate
07/10/2011 at 20:13

Where's Smiffy gone?

8th Oct

9th Oct
Saffers

16th Oct
Ferret
Soup Dragon
Trogs
Dustboy (provisional)

12th Nov (same day as Ballbuster)
Saffers
Ditchy

19th Nov
Saffers
Ditchy
Ferret
Soup Dragon
Trogs
Dustboy (provisional)
P Siggy & Siggy's Valet Benno!! (Provisional)

20th Nov
Ditchy
Ferret

26th Nov (non London Piratey Xmas do?)
Saffers
Ditchy

27th Nov

4th Dec
Ditchy
Ferret

5th Dec
Ferret

11th Dec
Ferret

Trogs    pirate
07/10/2011 at 20:17

Dustboy, getting off Box the back way is easy - 

- climb the zig zags and keep going to the end of the road, turn left
 - take the next 3 lefts and there you are back at the bottom of the zig zags again

Dustboy    pirate
07/10/2011 at 20:21
Yes but sooo much easier when you just follow a bum!

Smiffy would just say "Which leg should I use?" I did it on streetmap and it looks sick, even on that.
07/10/2011 at 20:36
My bro and I are doing a bit of Ballbuster reccying on Sunday at 8am, top car park if anyone fancies it? Probably 2 laps biking and one running as we are a little pushed for time.
Trogs    pirate
07/10/2011 at 20:42
Dustboy  wrote (see)
Yes but sooo much easier when you just follow a bum!
Oi, who you calling a bum
Gladys (all over!) M. wrote (see)
My bro and I are doing a bit of Ballbuster reccying on Sunday at 8am, top car park if anyone fancies it? Probably 2 laps biking and one running as we are a little pushed for time.
I shall be busy at Denbies on Sunday - it's Surrey Badger time
Edited: 07/10/2011 at 20:42
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
18/10/2011 at 21:58

Where's Smiffy gone?

8th Oct

9th Oct
Saffers

16th Oct
Ferret
Soup Dragon
Trogs
Dustboy (provisional)

12th Nov (same day as Ballbuster)
Saffers
Ditchy
Barley

19th Nov
Saffers
Ditchy
Ferret
Soup Dragon
Trogs
Dustboy (provisional)
P Siggy & Siggy's Valet Benno!! (Provisional)
Barley

20th Nov
Ditchy
Ferret

26th Nov (non London Piratey Xmas do?)
Saffers
Ditchy

27th Nov

4th Dec
Ditchy
Ferret

5th Dec
Ferret

11th Dec
Ferret

M...eldy    pirate
18/10/2011 at 22:02
Frightened him off !!
221 to 240 of 370 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.