Would you still be a Pirate if you didn't wear the kit,

and spend a lot of money buying it?

41 to 60 of 70 messages
The Silent Assassin    pirate
07/08/2013 at 08:42

just want to throw my 2p worth in

Yes the forum has changed, yes a lot of people who used be regulars on here have moved on, yes some of the cutting homuor has gone, yes some of it still hangs around (Meldy, Raf, etc) yes people I like only come on every now and then (STIL, BTS, Oxy etc) yes there are people who get upset about certain comments made ( I made a comment on a thread and was shouted down, but the comment used to be common place here)

The forum changes and maybe we have to change with it

The whole idea of the pirates is what first planted the seed that maybe I could actually do an IM or IM distance race and love the fact that theres was no joining form, no chairman or secretary, no members list

Yes I have the kit, yes I have the t-shirts, yes I have the hoodies, but so does my son and come on he is never going to be able to do an IM but he classes himself as a pirate and I'm pretty sure everyone else who has come into contact with him thinks hes a member of the pirates (feck me he evens gets his own thread thanking him for supporting)

If I didn't like the forum I wouldn't come on

Please KK make your mind up, earlier in this thread you asked for it to be an IM club, but is not you who continues to go on and on and on about how everyone should get faster over shorter distances

IronChris68    pirate
07/08/2013 at 08:56

I'm ordering kit, completed an Ironman in my first year(IMUK 2013) and the reason I want the kit is so that Jordy gives me a shout as he recognises the kit, plus I like the feelgood factor of the Pirates, there are Tri clubs near me that I could join if I was an anally retentive winker! but I'd rather stick with the Pirate mentoring, cheer you all on at events and next year i'll volunteer at IMUK and the Outlaw to give something back

Chris

Edited: 07/08/2013 at 09:01
07/08/2013 at 09:09

The pirate thing made me believe that I could conquer my fear of water, one that I had since I nearly drowned (literally, I had to be resucitated) at the age of 8.  I recieved great support on the swimming thread, and I did my first sprint and oly and I bought some kit.  I wanted to progress onto IM, but a baby came along and costs ruled that out.  The kit still reminds me of what I achieved and I probably wouldn't have done that without support of people on here.  Should I give it back than?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
07/08/2013 at 09:40

Its definately not just about Ironman as far as im concerned, what I like about the pirates is the mutual support and encouragement, whatever background youre from or your aims.

There are people who have supported the pirates at races, volunteered at the Outlaw feedstation that have never done a tri or not raced further than sprint distance, they're as part of the pirate thing as anyone else. 

The pirates are just a collective of like minded people who enjoy triathlon, yes a lot of it is Ironman focussed as thats how it started and what most people seem to aspire to.  As others have said I think the support and encouragement has made a lot of people understand that you dont have to be super human to take on any challenge.

Things change, people ebb and flow and its not what it was, life moves forward, personally speaking ive enjoyed my experiences with the pirates at Lanza and Outlaw this year as much as ive enjoyed any year before.

Most of all I think the key thing is to get involved, chat on the forums, meet and chat to people at races.  I know its difficult and some people arent as forward as others but I do wonder why people buy pirate kit and are never heard of again or turn up at races and dont introduce themselves.

cougie    pirate
07/08/2013 at 09:49
Shiva you hang on to that kit - you've earnt it and you can always come back to IM when you have the time.
purpletrilady    pirate
07/08/2013 at 09:55

I do think the kit does mean that you are part of something; part of a group who are supportive but don't suffer wimps, a group that doesn't care whether people are fast or slow, a group that empowers people to believe in themselves, to believe that they can achieve more than they ever thought possible. Most importantly it's a group that has fun and breaks the typical image of triatheletes. 

I was dissapointed at Outlaw that one famly all had pirate kit on but they stayed away from the main group and looked bored and miserable - I smiled and said hello to them but got a blank look.

Ironholgs    pirate
07/08/2013 at 09:58

I'm a pirate regardless of what I wear. I never wore any yellow and black when supporting on Sunday but everytime I spotted a shipmate I got goosebumps and screamed my head off.

The Pirates have given me so much in the way of support and advice over the years and I love being a part of such a wonderful group of people that enjoy triathlon, don't have their heads up their arses and have fun.

I may be a retired racing Pirate but I'll always be a Pirate, however the day nipple tassles become mandatory I'll walk the plank.

Edited: 07/08/2013 at 09:59
Red_dog_chris    pirate
07/08/2013 at 10:31

Kk can I please order a pair of earmuffs. Mouse I think you would look great in tassles 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/08/2013 at 10:43

being a pirate is a state of mind

I went back on the course at Outlaw to support after being pulled because that was the pirate thing to do.... to support others and have fun.

I love wearing the kit as it looks cool!

I'm a slow fat crap triathlete and a pirate and I love it.

Pirates made me believe I can do this and I tried, OK this time I failed but pirates made me note down my limitations and i'm working on them.

Pirates rock end of

07/08/2013 at 10:48

just thought id throw my say in here. im not yet a pirate but im on the thread for some new threads. im on there because every tri ive seen or done has had a pirate presence and the support theyve shown and given each other has shown me that with help from the right fools (with and without nipple tassles) doing an IM distace is an achievable realistic goal. so cheers pirate people. carry on doing the pirate ethos. aand keep me hoping for that IM medal

07/08/2013 at 10:49

I wouldn't call myself a Pirate although I did align myself to the Ship of Fools for Outlaw 2012 and they did turn a potentially dull/hard weekend in to a enjoyable/good weekend of competition. I did miss out on the race support tho as I was not wearing the black and yellow (except homemade race belt).

The only other time I've been a Pirate is at The Silent Assasssin's DIY Pirate events and they sum up what Piracy is all about in my opinion.

07/08/2013 at 12:24
I think the comment on here just the other day saying that without other imput, this tri forum is basically just full of kit flogging threads...

Is actually not far off the mark.

Looking at the first page of Tri

20 threads (50%) are related to particular events
7  (18%) are training related
12 (30%) are general
1 (2%) is LG kit related

Purely to satisfy my own curiosity, please define 'full of kit flogging threads'.

Had a little look a few minutes ago and 3 of the first 10 were threads being driven by Pirate Kit. 2 of the first 5. That said, it's less than it was. I don't think anybody's waffling on about water bottles currently. I do find the drive for ever more items of branded kid pretty tedious.

But wearing my Pirate kit gives me a big boost when I'm racing, and it is good quality kit that performs much better than I do  . I still feel like a Pirate when I'm training and not wearing it. Similarly, when I enter events that don't have "Pirate" as an option on the entry page, and I have to put "City of Chester", i feel like a stealthy Pirate. And the brand has equity. People do identify with it. At Alpe D'Huez a couple of weeks back some Italians came and said hello because they'd enjoyed PIrate company in Lanza this year and thought it had a good vibe. It's about more than the kit for me and I'm glad of that.

07/08/2013 at 12:34

Me and Rosey (I think) wondered about a half & half kit... Pirate one half City of Chester the other....

JvR
07/08/2013 at 12:39
I've been doing triathlons for a couple of years now and have trained for IM twice but had to pull out before getting to the start line .
I've done a few events where I've run in Pirate colours and the support from other Pirates, and shouts from non-Pirates when they see the skull and cross-bones, has been phenomenal and is such a big boost.
For me being able to meet, and give support and encouragement to, Pirates at events is important.
I still planning to complete an IM, and have the Outlaw pencilled into my diary for 2017 but whether or not I wear Pirate kit between now and then I'll still think of myself as part of a great bunch of people.
07/08/2013 at 13:29

A victim or your own success?

more members = more support = more people taking part in events = more interest.

personally i hadnt heard of you guys or indeed ever thought about doing an event till I read 'that' book and everything else snowballed from there.

The fact i havent got the kit yet and the fact that two members have offered to lend me theres for my HIM underlines what you guys are about to me - great support, advice, a joke, a laugh, but wanting to push yourselves to achieve things which maybe you didnt think was possible.

07/08/2013 at 13:39

It's the inclusive anyone can give it a go vibe that I like, that and the fact that there are no rules  but gallons of support and help.

Kit wise, I could do with a "pirate in training" top so I can get the arghhs as I work my way towards an IM finish at some point (personal choice not a pirate requirement in my opinion). Because those arghhs are so uplifting and wonderful and you get to meet a fun bunch of people. 

Pudge    pirate
07/08/2013 at 13:58
kittenkat wrote (see)

Is this now too focused on what you wear rather than what you achieve?

I don't really think that people buy pirate kit as a fashion statement, do they?  I mean, does ANYONE look good in it?

Surely, to repeat what everyone has already said, it's more about identifying oneself as a fellow, like-minded try-athlete (as opposed to someone who is up their own arse and is only interested in being a 'serious triathlete').

I might never have even considered entering an IM, were it not for the Pirates.  For that, I am thankful (my wife maybe less so).

Am I wide of the mark here KK, or are you bitter about something?

Edited: 07/08/2013 at 13:58
Pudge    pirate
07/08/2013 at 14:00

That's a question out of genuine curiousity by the way.  I'm not having a go, or trying to ignite something.

Running Postie    pirate
07/08/2013 at 14:01

If you want the support and be part of something special, wear the kit..... Simples. 

p.s It's good quality kit, I love my cycle jacket!

07/08/2013 at 16:54

I dont have the kit (YET) but after getting into this, seeing Pirates at events and speaking to them. Spending time in Colt Alley and as Holgs said (screaming when i saw a Pirate) is great. Being part of a community is not only inspirational its also something to take with you on your IM journey.

Moving to Hong Kong shortly which is a shame in some respects, however if i get the kit before i go, i will post loads of pics and who knows start a following in Asia.

On another note me and the girlfriend when nuts when we saw Elaine, she must have been thinking who are those crazy people screaming my name. Hope it helped.

Later

41 to 60 of 70 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.