Would you still be a Pirate if you didn't wear the kit,

and spend a lot of money buying it?

1 to 20 of 71 messages
06/08/2013 at 18:58

I am still a nurse without my uniform. The uniform simply highlights who I am. I'm proud to be a nurse as I am an apprentice pirate. I get more from the forum than shopping opportunities. I leave that for Wiggle (other sports stores are available).

06/08/2013 at 19:03

Besides, isn't this heading into the age old argument of Pirates being synonymous with IM. The buying rather than earning jibe. Haven't we been here before - a lot!

06/08/2013 at 19:11
I think the comment on here just the other day saying that without other imput, this tri forum is basically just full of kit flogging threads...

Is actually not far off the mark.

Looking at the first page of Tri

20 threads (50%) are related to particular events
7  (18%) are training related
12 (30%) are general
1 (2%) is LG kit related

Purely to satisfy my own curiosity, please define 'full of kit flogging threads'.

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 19:12
06/08/2013 at 19:16
Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)
I think the comment on here just the other day saying that without other imput, this tri forum is basically just full of kit flogging threads...

Is actually not far off the mark.

Looking at the first page of Tri

20 threads (50%) are related to particular events
7  (18%) are training related
12 (30%) are general
1 (2%) is LG kit related

Purely to satisfy my own curiosity, please define 'full of kit flogging threads'.

Depends how much Stella you've had 

06/08/2013 at 19:21

Hey, if the NHS would give it a whirl I would be up for it. I cannot comment further as I am not allowed to provide any negative spin on my employer. 

KK - I'm sure many will pop up to debate the IM point with you. I'm simply enjoying myself rummaging around in triathlon. Off to debate life and death circumstances instead! 

GH0ST    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:43

Being a pirate is more about the ethos than the kit isn't it?

I LOVE the pirate attitude. I've been alive longer than i'm ever gonna be and i WILL complete an iron distance triathlon.

I don't need the kit. I problably won't get any that fits properly and i'll look like a fwit in what i order (fwit - apologies if this offends your say it as it is tendancies).

I never would have won an event in any of the individual disciplines.

But i am a person with postive attitude - will your peers say that about you KK?

06/08/2013 at 19:44

Dunno, all I know is on January 13th I couldn't swim a length in Chester baths, on 1st September of the same year I finished The Big Woody

Suppose so one will pop up and say the run was short now 

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:57

The off-licence manager

06/08/2013 at 19:59
 kittenkat wrote (see)

It doesn't matter to me one bit if it has.

kittenkat wrote (see)

The whole thing has gone kit mad and obsessively driven by a minority.

Are these two comments not at odds with each other?  You seem to have a very strong opinion for someone who doesn't care. If you didn't you wouldn't have asked the question surely?

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 20:00
06/08/2013 at 20:02

"There is nothing permanent except change." -Heraclitus

Everything evolves, why should it stay the same? What is wrong with bit of kit?

Btw, I'm not a pirate and never will be but I like the idea of Pirates.

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 20:02
TheEngineer    pirate
06/08/2013 at 20:03

Things change. That's life. If you don't like what things become, leave. Plenty of other people like what this forum is becoming, and nothing makes you better than them. 

06/08/2013 at 20:06

I thought the whole idea of the kit was to be able to identify those who we have become friends with on the forum but had never met in real life.  I thought it was about support and encouragment to help you achieve your goals.

KK, if it was only about achieving an IM then why not just buy the IM branded stuff?

06/08/2013 at 20:06

In response to your thread title, yes! And I'm very proud to be!  

06/08/2013 at 20:30

Oh and I have a Pirate Monaco and swim cap, so hardly broken the bank on buying pirate kit 

06/08/2013 at 20:42

Oh well as I had started a sprint the year before but failed to finish, I suppose I don't meet KK's exacting standards.

anyone want an XL Monaco ? 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/08/2013 at 20:44

KK, genuine question; what did you hope to gain out of this thread? Was there anything that you wanted to learn or any wisdom you wanted to pass on?

Rafiki    pirate
06/08/2013 at 20:52
kittenkat wrote (see)

Now it's different and so many people are going to shout at me if I suggest it should still be an IM distance club.

But surely you would have to a time scale on that - you'd have to an IM every year to keep your Pirate colours.... or every two years, or what???

06/08/2013 at 20:56

Come on KK, I can remember reading your first ever postings on here and you were excited to be daring to think of doing an IM whilst sitting at home with your foot/leg in plaster!

You must have decided to post on here rather than any other forum I assume because you liked the look of it and felt inspired? or at least encouraged by the Pirates.  If the Pirates had any part in you achieving your dream ( goal) then surely that's a good thing.

Yes, the Pirates have changed over the years but that's the nature of any group of people.  I think it is still Ironman orientated and that's the way ( in my opinion) it should be.

I think we all get a bit jaded and cynical as the years roll by and perhaps the 'magic' of that first IM fades into the past.  But try and remember that feeling of excitement and the germ of a thought that you might actually do this crazy thing ( especially sat with your leg up!)

What's this got to do with the thread title?  It's just does it matter if people are still inspired by the Pirates and want to wear the kit to identify themselves with like minded folk?  The Pirates wern't better in the past...just smaller and different.  I was a Pirate before I'd ever heard of the Pirates if a state of mind qualifies you...but i am proud to wear the kit and ( whispers)..I do have a pair of armwarmers!

Finally - 'The seagulls follow the trawler to catch the sardines...'  that's all I have to say on the matter   

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
06/08/2013 at 21:05
Rafiki wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Now it's different and so many people are going to shout at me if I suggest it should still be an IM distance club.

But surely you would have to a time scale on that - you'd have to an IM every year to keep your Pirate colours.... or every two years, or what???

What!  You mean you dont have to do one every year?  Now you tell me 

06/08/2013 at 21:18
kittenkat wrote (see)

To be a Pirate, you have to go from zero tri to Ironman in 9 months. That was what I did, but probably whoever told me that was having a laugh. But I fell for it and yes, it was smaller and we all made that acheivement. Now it's different and so many people are going to shout at me if I suggest it should still be an IM distance club.

So, what actually is it now?

I was told that you had to sleep with Barley.  Looks like you weren't the only one conned KK

1 to 20 of 71 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.