Would you still be a Pirate if you didn't wear the kit,

and spend a lot of money buying it?

1 to 20 of 93 messages
kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 18:43

Is this now too focused on what you wear rather than what you achieve?

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 18:50

I think my fundamental question is, has it changed so much that you can 'buy' your way in rather than earn your kit?

It doesn't matter to me one bit if it has as I popped my cherry back in 2008, but I'm curious. I think the comment on here just the other day saying that without other imput, this tri forum is basically just full of kit flogging threads...

Is actually not far off the mark.

06/08/2013 at 18:58

I am still a nurse without my uniform. The uniform simply highlights who I am. I'm proud to be a nurse as I am an apprentice pirate. I get more from the forum than shopping opportunities. I leave that for Wiggle (other sports stores are available).

06/08/2013 at 19:03

Besides, isn't this heading into the age old argument of Pirates being synonymous with IM. The buying rather than earning jibe. Haven't we been here before - a lot!

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:06
MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

I am still a nurse without my uniform. The uniform simply highlights who I am. I'm proud to be a nurse as I am an apprentice pirate. I get more from the forum than shopping opportunities. I leave that for Wiggle (other sports stores are available).

But does your nurse's uniform turn into a nurse umbrella, stickers, jacket, underwear ad nauseum? There is a difference here.

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:07

Besides, isn't this heading into the age old argument of Pirates being synonymous with IM. The buying rather than earning jibe. Haven't we been here before - a lot!

Is it not about doing IM from scratch now? You tell me.

06/08/2013 at 19:11
I think the comment on here just the other day saying that without other imput, this tri forum is basically just full of kit flogging threads...

Looking at the first page of Tri

20 threads (50%) are related to particular events
7  (18%) are training related
12 (30%) are general
1 (2%) is LG kit related

Purely to satisfy my own curiosity, please define 'full of kit flogging threads'.

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 19:12
06/08/2013 at 19:16
Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)
I think the comment on here just the other day saying that without other imput, this tri forum is basically just full of kit flogging threads...

12 (30%) are general
1 (2%) is LG kit related

Purely to satisfy my own curiosity, please define 'full of kit flogging threads'.

Depends how much Stella you've had 

06/08/2013 at 19:21

Hey, if the NHS would give it a whirl I would be up for it. I cannot comment further as I am not allowed to provide any negative spin on my employer. 

KK - I'm sure many will pop up to debate the IM point with you. I'm simply enjoying myself rummaging around in triathlon. Off to debate life and death circumstances instead! 

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:22
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)

12 (30%) are general
1 (2%) is LG kit related

Depends how much Stella you've had 

Depends on how seriously you take this stuff. Quite to severe would be actually breaking it down to percentages.

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:28

Hey, if the NHS would give it a whirl I would be up for it. I cannot comment further as I am not allowed to provide any negative spin on my employer. 

KK - I'm sure many will pop up to debate the IM point with you. I'm simply enjoying myself rummaging around in triathlon. Off to debate life and death circumstances instead! 

I re-read this post, and changed my response. Enjoy your rummaging.

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 19:35
06/08/2013 at 19:43

Being a pirate is more about the ethos than the kit isn't it?

I LOVE the pirate attitude. I've been alive longer than i'm ever gonna be and i WILL complete an iron distance triathlon.

I don't need the kit. I problably won't get any that fits properly and i'll look like a fwit in what i order (fwit - apologies if this offends your say it as it is tendancies).

I never would have won an event in any of the individual disciplines.

But i am a person with postive attitude - will your peers say that about you KK?

06/08/2013 at 19:44

Dunno, all I know is on January 13th I couldn't swim a length in Chester baths, on 1st September of the same year I finished The Big Woody

Suppose so one will pop up and say the run was short now 

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:47

The whole thing has gone kit mad and obsessively driven by a minority.

It's a simple concept, go from zero to IM in 9 months, wear the kit as and when you achieve that. The only kit you need is what you swim/bike/run in.

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:49
Ghostess wrote (see)

Being a pirate is more about the ethos than the kit isn't it?

I LOVE the pirate attitude. I've been alive longer than i'm ever gonna be and i WILL complete an iron distance triathlon.

I don't need the kit. I problably won't get any that fits properly and i'll look like a fwit in what i order (fwit - apologies if this offends your say it as it is tendancies).

I never would have won an event in any of the individual disciplines.

But i am a person with postive attitude - will your peers say that about you KK?

Who do you think my peers are?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:57

The off-licence manager

kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 19:59

Carl you used to be funny, what happened?

06/08/2013 at 19:59
 kittenkat wrote (see)

It doesn't matter to me one bit if it has.

kittenkat wrote (see)

The whole thing has gone kit mad and obsessively driven by a minority.

Are these two comments not at odds with each other?  You seem to have a very strong opinion for someone who doesn't care. If you didn't you wouldn't have asked the question surely?

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 20:00
kittenkat    pirate
06/08/2013 at 20:00

Oh wait, we know.

06/08/2013 at 20:02

"There is nothing permanent except change." -Heraclitus

Everything evolves, why should it stay the same? What is wrong with bit of kit?

Btw, I'm not a pirate and never will be but I like the idea of Pirates.

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 20:02
1 to 20 of 93 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.