WTC Rip-off

Time to go back to non-IM events?

1 to 20 of 58 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
27/10/2010 at 18:48

Received email news today from Ironman.com about their latest money-making cow, Ironman Access. They have launched an exclusive club which will give members early registration to all official IM races world-wide. Other "benefits" of this scheme include 2 VIP tickets, membership cards (?) etc. Members will be able to register one week before official web-site opening date for all IMs.

Cost of the Access club membership is $1000 for one year!

So unless some of you Pirates have a lot of extra dosh to spare to join Access, it's very possible IM Wales may be the last one we are able to gain entry to without  joining the scheme. The bubble has to burst sometime, surely? I fear though that there will be sufficient numbers of affluent triathletes who will take this up.  

Thank dog there are other long distance races out there that don't fall under the WTC.

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
27/10/2010 at 18:58
Greedy fekkers
27/10/2010 at 19:09

this really is taking the p1ss this has nothing in common with the original ethos of Ironman of a bunch of guys rocking up and just hammering each other to see who was the best   I know they are a large faceless company pursuing a profit now but WTF I was really tempted by IM Wales next year even though I was going to have a years IM break but was really struggling with the thought of handing over £350+ by the time i had saved it up especially as Outlaw for fun factor knocked the IMUKs I had done into a cocked hat this really looks like the straw that broke the Ridgebacks back looks like non WTC for me unless finances improve drastically  

M...eldy    pirate
27/10/2010 at 19:11
Yep ... I had that one as well

It all looked quite promising until you get to the price !
27/10/2010 at 19:16

But how many will actually take up the membership? 

I can see the membership being used by those desperate and rich enough to get into the particularly popular races but surely the other races won't be impacted as much. There's only so many people that will sign up for a IM, and often only one (max two) IMs per year*(?)

*Present company excluded

ETA - surely even if the IMs did fill up with those that can afford the membership, it's only going to encourage people to consider the Challenge and other events as options when they are planning their race years. 

Edited: 27/10/2010 at 19:19
27/10/2010 at 19:21

LN, we can only hope. But knowing how quickly many of the IMs have filled up in the past, I just think non-Access members may find it really difficult to find a start place. Take IMR for instance - almost  50 pirates taking up very nearly one quarter of the available places.

That's why I said - time to go back to non-IM races. They are usually cheaper anyway.

Edited: 27/10/2010 at 19:26
27/10/2010 at 19:27
Trouble is a lot of people are getting priced out of wtc £350 is a lot of wonga  especially when you stck a few other tris in for the year + travel I am not on a bad wage but am starting to restrict my races and pickmy entry fees as other things (kids at uni) start to bite
27/10/2010 at 19:28

Not convinced Wolf.

Sure it will have 'some' impact but there'd have to be a massive uptake for there to be a significant effect on races.

And at the risk of stating the obvious, it's not as if the world is particularly affluent at the moment unless IMs do become the thing to do for eerrr bankers having mid-life crises.  

Edited: 27/10/2010 at 19:31
27/10/2010 at 19:42
Oh you said "bankers having a mid-life crisis" LN, thought you were calling me a wan.......
27/10/2010 at 19:45

Its just an expansion of the CEO challenge, it  will no effect on us mortals. It just means those that are rich enough can enter North American races before us minions.

oxymoron    pirate
27/10/2010 at 21:02
sounds like a good thing to me, at least i would have some hope of actually getting into a US race without having to faff around like some mental ebayer desperately trying to get a place in the 3 second annual time window.
Trogs    pirate
27/10/2010 at 22:12
Not interested in handing over $1k to WTC so I'll take my chances on signing up for IMNZ in 2012 and, if I want to do more iron distance events after that, will stick to non branded events.
Edited: 27/10/2010 at 22:13
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
27/10/2010 at 23:39
It's cheaper than $1000 to buy your way into sold out races already Nirvana and other race package companies can get you a place it just means booking a package (obviously at a small premium).

For the ironman races that already sell out in minutes, I can't see what difference 10, 20, maybe 50 VIP pre registrations will make?
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
27/10/2010 at 23:59
$1000 maybe viewed as good deal if you're someone who does 3+ IM races a year.

I don't think it will have a big impact overall.

Aren't you also being nieve not to expect a business to make the most of opportunities to repackage their product and make more money!
28/10/2010 at 06:29
No. It's about what I'd expect - greed, greed and more greed. On a par with garages putting their prices up every weekend.
seren nos    pirate
28/10/2010 at 07:40

I think it will make those that are hard to get into eg Austria etc.even harder...can't see it having an effect for the others that don't fill up in an hour

I had the email but didn't notice a price......thought it might be free to those who had already done an ironman

Crash Hamster    pirate
28/10/2010 at 08:18

I have to admit to thinking 'I'd join that for £50'...and then I got to the price! Blimey, talk about more money than sense...

...not that finances permit a 2011 IM abroad at the moment

Dubai Dave    pirate
28/10/2010 at 08:25
Needless to say I won't be paying the $1000. Thats a Zipp 808 back wheel! Always more fish in the sea.
28/10/2010 at 09:09
"greed, greed and more greed"

nope - it's a commercial proposition.

put yourself in WTC's position. they are a profit making organisation who have a responsibility to shareholders. any company in their position would view any way of "leveraging" (horrible word - great meaning) their market position to make more money. they are doing this in a number of ways - increasing the number of IM races (full and 70.3) and introducing the 5150 series. this Access program is another way - after all who wouldn't want money in the bank BEFORE their entrants then pay more money for an event in the future. bank that and you earn a lot of interest plus through cash flow keep the business costs running.

it's not rocket science

you have an option - pay or not pay. many will pay as IM attracts in the main people with high disposable incomes who for them $1K is probably not a lot in the scheme of their annual income and expenditure. others will take their chances on entry opening and save a $1K. others will go elsewhere - WTC aren't bothered by that as the market is booming and there are more looking to complete IM distance races than there are places. they may lose some athletes who think they are taking the piss - there will be a huge queue to replace them.

28/10/2010 at 09:40

WTC is owned by a consortium of pension funds, who need to make more money to meet their responsibilities to their pensioners.  so they need WTC to make more money for them (alongside their other investments, of course)

the problem is, people are living too long.  it's all part of the demographic time bomb.  governments should either promote drinking, smoking and eating burgers, or introduce a policy of shooting old people in the face 6 months after they retire.

1 to 20 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.