Ye old helmet debate

Just in case

61 to 69 of 69 messages
20/06/2014 at 09:59

au contraire, monsieur. I sport one bar-end mirror and find it very useful. Yes, on bad surfaces they vibrate, but I know what's behind and to the right of me at all times. It supplements my 'life-savers' and means I can pull around small hazards at the side of the road confident that I'm not getting in anyone's way. I commute 15 miles each way and I'd happily cycle it without a helmet, but I'd feel exposed without my mirror.

20/06/2014 at 10:02
Snap! wrote (see)

Have you watched how cyclists swerve when they turn their heads to look behind? You wouldn't ride a motorbike without mirrors. What's the difference?

No I don't swerve looking behind and as I race in a bunch it'd be dangerous if people did.   I rode scooters and motorbikes for about 20 years and mostly without mirrors - modern sports bikes might all have them but it wasn't the case in the past.   

20/06/2014 at 10:08

And you sound like a proficient rider, but that's not the case with everyone. I'd say that about the same proportion of people are crap at cycling as are crap at driving. I don't think that the fact that motorbikes didn't have mirrors twenty years ago is at all relevant anyway. They do now. I wouldn't ride a motorbike or drive a car on the road without them. It would be an utterly mad thing to do. 

cougie    pirate
20/06/2014 at 10:10
All cars have mirrors. Doesn't mean that they use them though.
20/06/2014 at 10:16

Good point.

Anyway - just saying.

20/06/2014 at 16:29

Everyone should just stick a pony tail out the back of their helmet and wear a pink top.  I always get given a wider berth if I am wearing my bright pink gilet.   I do also get beeped at however - but that happens whether I am running or cycling so must conclude I look good ().  

The 'pink' effect doesn't work on everyone - there is a very notable exception which as a woman it really pains me to mention.  Women in big jeeps don't appear to have much spacial awareness.

cougie    pirate
20/06/2014 at 18:09
Now is that a woman thing ? Often in the supermarket you find women blocking the aisle with trolleys - seemingly unaware of others.

Maybe men are as bad but don't shop as much ? I don't know.
20/06/2014 at 18:21
Is it a coincidence that shopping trolleys also have no mirrors?
seren nos    pirate
20/06/2014 at 18:34

cars have mirrors but that doesn't seem to make any difference to how they overtake a cyclist and cut them up........

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 69 of 69 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.