Yorkshire Triathlon

Pugneys Country Park

7 messages
29/05/2012 at 13:32

I was just wondering if anyone had done this event before? I'm no good on hills, and am hoping this in the flatter part of Wakefield? Bearing in mind I'm a southerner who doesn't really know the area, I'm not sure if Wakefield has flatter parts of if it's all mountainous like the other bits of Yorkshire I've been too...

Yorkshire Triathlon

29/05/2012 at 15:24

The swim looks flat!!

29/05/2012 at 18:21

I've just gone and volunteered to help at the event, must be the prospect of the bacon butty for all the marshalls! Dead close to me, and looking at prevoius pictures the run looks to be round the lake so will be flat,but if the bike ride is a scenic as they say, then you should be having some fun on the uphills, but not sure where it's going as no route shown on there.

30/05/2012 at 11:48

I like a nice flat swim

I don't like uphills, although I suppose getting to shout 'weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' on the downhills sort of makes them worthwhile

Are the uphills very hilly in that area?

The Silent Assassin    pirate
30/05/2012 at 12:13

I would be very worried by that website, its a copy of the Tatton Tri one, even down to the directions, since when has Yorkshire had the M6 and M56 as motorways, the bike course is around cheshire countryside???????? not much of a yorkshire tri then is it?

30/05/2012 at 17:25

The silly beggars have put the bike course details up for Cheshire, not showing anything for this one. The correct directions are on another page, showing junction 39 off the M1. The pictures for last year show the run round the lake, but nothing on the bike ride, but even without seeing the course route I wouldn't class it as hilly (I can run up those roads no problem, and there's plenty of cyclists out on a Sunday morning having a good gas with their mates whilst cycling, so can't be too bad!), and like you say, what goes (a bit) up, has to come back down again.

Be warned - there is a paintballing place on one of the roads, so if you go shouting weeeeeeee on the way past, you may got shot at!!

Monique    pirate
31/05/2012 at 14:31

If it's the same course as back in 2006 then the swim is  1 lap, good visibility. The run is flat  2.5 k laps of the lake on tarmac or hardcore. The bike has a long steady climb up to the roudabout at Denby Dale of  2 miles, then you drop into Scissett and climb again before a sharp left turn, and then undulating to Cannon Hall where there is the sharpest climb of the day up to a village (I forget th name) . After that you've some downhills including the big one back down from Denby Dale roundabout. It's not flat is the simple answer, but neither is it Fred Whitton silly.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.