Zombie Swimming to music

21 to 33 of 33 messages
WildWill    pirate
28/01/2013 at 19:47
Doner .. I'm about the same level as you.. I think my best Swim is about 1:09. But I do very little swim training ... I think most years I only average 1 swim every 10 days
Doner Kebab    pirate
28/01/2013 at 19:54

think you been at it a little bit longer than me though WW, i think im going to reduce the amount of times i swim soon, still keep doing the long ones but as for swimming nearly everyday i think my time is better spent else where. im quite happy to go to the pool and do one long session a week and quick dips after the gym. swimming is indeed over rated

WildWill    pirate
28/01/2013 at 19:56
Are you trying to say I'm old ?

;)
The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/01/2013 at 20:54

my 400m is about 10mins just under now and I'm wanting to get as close to 90mins for Outlaw as possible.

So what about 1 interval session 1 long sustained session? then do I use paddles/pull bouy or not?

I've done 3km in 85mins after a long day at work. I do about 2k in an hour typically

seren nos yn canu    pirate
28/01/2013 at 21:04

I'm one of those that always swim in the race faster than i ever swim in training..the effect of the wetsuit......my love of open water and the drafting and adrenaline all make me swim faster........usually i don't train much but this year i'm hoping to swim train so that I am hopefully fresher for the bike

sweetfeet...    pirate
28/01/2013 at 21:06

WW I would concur on 'thrashing'. That doesn't sound positive for anyone. And 69 is not shabby at all off that amount of swim training. Which would suggest natural ability/technique. I swim two - three times per week to shave a couple of minutes off that on the day

TEP that sounds like a nice balance each week. I don't use the toys personally but pull-buoy for your long swim would be fine. Try and do the faster intervals without.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/01/2013 at 21:14

thanks folks

I need to get out of the water ASAP so I can get the bike done - I HAVE To do this as now it's for dad not just me being stupid!

28/01/2013 at 21:19

I do one coached swim session with my Tri club a week. Never know what the session is in advance. Could be technique, drills, paddles, buoy, kick work, sprints, or all of the above. I always come away with at least one technical pointer. I then swim a few days later on my own for 60-70mins, thinking about 2-3 technical aspects and trying to swim better. From my limited experience, to swim faster you need to swim better.  If you just build your engine, you`re more likely to just move more water around you.  

29/01/2013 at 17:29

EP I'm waaay slower than you 14 mins for 400 meters. As for technique I'm such a newbie I just have to concentrate on just rotating to breathe rather than craining my neck up in the air. Apparently I'm quite lucky that I'm fairly straight in the water so I also just concentrate and staying relaxed and long in the water, still got the windmill arms but I've been told not to worry about those and I do think they are improving just with the swimming, not done speicific drills for them yet.

All boils down to swim a bit bike a bit and run a bit I guess.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/01/2013 at 21:28

managed 2k in 51 mins today before I got fed up with people. Did most with PB to try and focus on pull which I think is supposed to make it faster but I'm not convinced!

realise that I just swim and don't actually pull through the water i.e. I let the swim stroke momentum move me rather than actively pulling

So there's something to think about

29/01/2013 at 21:38
I don't rate my swimming. I'm swimming about 6/9k a week at the moment and I know the swim could drastically improve but so long as I can get it done in a reasonable time, and it doesn't wear me out, that's good enough for me.

To go on topic a bit, depending on my mood I listen to music or podcasts when swimming. I've tried a few MP3 player things and - for me - the best ones are the Finis "bone-conductive" ones.
sweetfeet...    pirate
29/01/2013 at 22:31

TEP improving that pull is where the speed increase will come from (along with good rotation and body position). Try and focus on pulling strong from the reach out front right through to your hips whilst keeping your elbow high. Catch-up and one-arm drills may help you focus on it.

The Fink book has some good descriptions of the swim phases from memory.

WildWill    pirate
30/01/2013 at 10:39

good swim articles can be found at

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/category.asp?catid=19

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.