100 mile point ot point in Scotland?

I have an idea?

1 to 20 of 23 messages
08/03/2013 at 15:36

Would anyone be interested in helping taking the idea of a point to point 100 mile race further?

I have a route and a name. It is called BABBA - Blair Atholl to Aberdeen via Ballater and Banchory. Largely off-road, but not extreme and the tougher bits in the first half (Glen Tilt and then a bit over to Glen Muick).

I've only organised a 5k before !!

GKD
08/03/2013 at 15:53
Why don't you e mail James Elson or Henk, HH, both are more than happy to share their experience with new RDS
For what it's worth I'd be happy to help in any way I can but you have 5k more experience than me
Edited: 08/03/2013 at 15:54
GKD
08/03/2013 at 19:11

He who dares wins?

08/03/2013 at 21:35

I'd be happy to help if I can ... I live in Moray (so pretty local) but like like Lirish, you have 5km more experience than me, although I do have experience of organising hillwalking expeditions for kids!! - well it's almost similar perhaps???

Would be fantastic to get some longer ultras off the ground further North and off the lesser known trails (WHW for example).

I have a route I am planning to recce in the Autumn for another long-distance ... it's my "mountains to the sea" route but haven't done much recceing and haven't thought beyond the fact I think it would be good to do.

Keep us posted

09/03/2013 at 08:05

i'd reckon kids would be easier to organise for than naughty ultra runners.

it sounds like a great venture Hillheader. i doubt i'd be much help but i'd happily enter!

09/03/2013 at 09:37

I am always happy to help a Race Director get a promising new event off the ground. 

09/03/2013 at 15:02

Thanks for the responses. Maybe the way to start it is to offer an open invite to run this informally at some point - next year likely? I think that you'd need to be supported for a 100 mile race. Volunteers for all the checkpoints etc. are the biggest issue.

It is a mountains to sea route I have in mind - heading east so wind at your back and downhill ??. Would have to be summer or spring as passes by Balmoral and uses the trails in that area. These, plus stalking elsewhere excludes the autumn. Winter is out as although not over mountains, the route does go around 500m for quite a bit.

There are plenty of ultras in Scotland (SUMS) and the iconic WHW, so I'd have to be careful to avoid those dates. 

09/03/2013 at 16:01

Thanks Fellrunner - The TGO walking event does take a bit longer (12-14 days). However, would expect many would follow a similar low level route through the Cairngorms.

09/03/2013 at 17:47

My mountain to sea route was a start with the Lairig Ghru, heading up to the Abernethy Forest (either via a high route or low route) and then to the coast and back home to findhorn on coastal trail. About 100 miles. I am planning to run it on my own in the autumn - just for fun!!

Agree though, that for a route that distance, some form of support is required, although I think people would welcome a race that does not require you to provide your own support crew (well it's a personal frustration of mine when it is a requirement anyway!). So definitely checkpoints, and yes, volunteers. I think with the Centurion races they offer that if you support for them on a race, it gives you guaranteed entry to another one of their races.

Also agree, first step would be for a group to cover the distance, and perhaps smaller scale recces of sections to iron out other land issues, route issues, how many people it can cope with etc.

I always thought I would be nice to have something in the autumn, just cos the spring gets quite busy.  The guy who organises the 30/60-miler over on the West coast is also working on a 100-miler ... have forgotten what it's called off top of head.

09/03/2013 at 17:48

ah, just read your autumn bit - sorry!

10/03/2013 at 18:35

Lairig Ghru then Speyside way would be great (I live in Boat of Garten). I once did a great route with Lairig Ghru then Lairig an Laoigh. Other great low level runs in the Cairngorms are through glen Feshie and also Glen Tromie. Spoilt for choice. Perhaps should link them all up - that would be some run! 

10/03/2013 at 19:55

Just looked at the distance for route within the Cairngorms. Start at Glenmore lodge, finish at Kingusie. Over 5 of the major passes in the Cairngorms (Laoigh, Ghru, Feshie, Tilt, and Minigaig). Turns out to be 100 miles with about 3500m of ascent. Almost entirely off road. Would take some organisation though - being so remote!

GKD
10/03/2013 at 20:04
There's a huge amount of contingency planning you'll need to consider, not least the contingencies around getting people off the hills if they drop, getting medical aid to them if they need it, bad weather re routes bearing in mind the time of year etc etc. loads to think about
GKD
10/03/2013 at 20:10

Absolutely. I've seen how much is involved in the Lairig Ghru race and that is only 28 miles. There's a major river crossing and a lot more. Eek. 

GKD
10/03/2013 at 20:22
Well if there's anything a Londoner can help you with I'd be glad to
GKD
10/03/2013 at 20:26

So it could be our Scottish Spine route equivalent then!!! 

That sounds a proper awesome route.  Seriously though, yes it's a tough challenge and there are whole lot of logistical headaches, but no reason why not to try it with a small group to get a feel for it and then start talking to the people whos support you'd need - MRT, Glenmore Lodge perhaps, and other interested parties. I'm sure if heads got together, it would be surprising who knew who, especially given the area. Is how some of these races start I am sure. Important thing is it's really low profile to start with, and that people have got appropriate experience - distance, terrain, small-scale support etc.

I'm in Findhorn Hillheader, so not far really. Do a fair bit running on the small hills above Dava with the odd foray down towards Aviemore. Just getting over an ankle injury and once the snow and ice calm down a bit looking forward to getting out onto the Cromadale hills, Dava and Nethy Bridge way.  I have entered the Lairig Ghru race this year, after pulling out of two ultras due to injury, that's my current focus but I want to do a 100-mileish, self-supported effort in the autumn ... off to look at your Five Passes route now

10/03/2013 at 20:30

I have a friend down South who's speciality is event organisation (used to lead treks overseas for Explore), she has recently been doing some freelance stuff for ultra-type events SDW race (not the centurion) and others ... I know I could pick her brains about all sorts of stuff.

GKD
10/03/2013 at 20:31
I think CC is on the right kind of route there actually, I don't know the area particularly well but from your description I think it'd be more suited to the self sufficient Spine or Dragons Back type format rather than a traditional checkpoint every 10-15k type.
Try it first as a run out with some friends, then as a fat ass type event to iron out bugs and see how it would work logistically and that should give you an idea what's feasible
GKD
10/03/2013 at 21:00

Thanks CC and Lirish. I need an Autumn challenge as well. I like the idea of a low key start and self support to start with. Please pick your friends brains about such an event. I don't think a Centurion type approach would work either. There are many sections of 20+ miles without access to support. Some navigation skills are needed as well.

CC. The route starts at Glenmore Lodge, goes through the Lairig an Laoigh to Derry Lodge, back through Lairig Ghru, past Loch an Eilean, into Glen Feshie, onto glen Tilt, loops to Falls of Bruar, up Glen Bruar, over Minigaig, down glen Tromie, cut over Blar Mor, past Ruthven barracks and finish in centre of Kingusie. Some of the most fantastic scenery in the UK - but a very serious 100 mile!

10/03/2013 at 21:05

Thanks Fellrunner. The really serious river crossing is the river Avon at Fords of Avon. I've been through here and had real difficulty. Would need MRT here at the least with ropes. There's plenty of other fords as well. The Minigaig is tricky as the track not always clear and this would be the last pass - possibly in the dark.

1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.