2012 report cards.

21 to 40 of 70 messages
02/12/2012 at 15:10

LLB and Lirish ... I'm with you guys

pmo
02/12/2012 at 15:31

I tend to stay away from the wannabe and what's next threads, as they descend into nonsense on a regular basis (OK, all the time).

Nice to have a thread where that hasn't happened... yet.

pmo
02/12/2012 at 16:10

could do better

02/12/2012 at 17:35
Interesting thread. I've done a few marathons and a couple of ironmans. Hats off to Ben. Really interests me how far / much people do and I'm sure as you say Ben people do a lot more. I love reading about what people have done, it definitely inspires me.

Furthest I've ever run is 52 miles but next year I'm planning to do the Centurion grand slam of 4 x 100,s. Probably very unwise but you only live once.

I obviously won't post here as LLB,Lirish and cragchick will get terribly upset, lol, hilarious replies above IMO
GKD
02/12/2012 at 17:43
I can't imagine any of us getting upset bj, I have an opinion and the regulars here know I have a habit of voicing it. Sometimes people agree and sometimes people don't, that's the Internet for you.
GKD
02/12/2012 at 18:11

Nice list Ben.  How many of those have you won?  

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 18:11
02/12/2012 at 18:47

Don't worry, takes a lot to upset me!  Have no issue with people doing this kind of list thing, just tend to agree with the other two.  I am not a grumpy old woman - honest!

02/12/2012 at 20:36
pmo wrote (see)

I tend to stay away from the wannabe and what's next threads, as they descend into nonsense on a regular basis (OK, all the time).

Nice to have a thread where that hasn't happened... yet.

well all i have to say to that is........................yah boo sucks *sticks tongue out and waggles fingers behind ears*

03/12/2012 at 07:46

Maybe you start a thread called lookatme, to list everything 

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 08:05
WiB
03/12/2012 at 08:36
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

Maybe you start a thread called lookatme, to list everything 

I would but my list isn't too long and would soon be overshadowed!

Lirish, are you sure you are not upset? Always thought you were a sensitive little chap

WiB
pmo
03/12/2012 at 10:03

So is the problem that people are listing their acheivements for the year, or that you guys don't want to? Is it wrong to be proud of what you've done, or must we all be too cool to talk about that kind of thing?

There are plenty of threads under the Ultra/Adventure if this one offends, why not try another? Or start one called 'I'm so hip I can't see past my pelvis' and discuss - well nothing....

Anyway back to it - Ben do you think you did too much, substituting quantity for quality? Was there enough time to recover properly between events, and did you factor in any training between events, or were you just rolling from one to another? And finally do you feel you've improved over the busy year?

pmo
GKD
03/12/2012 at 11:37
WiB you know me, feed me some jelly babies and the world will look like a different place
Pmo you seem to have taken this to heart a little, for me this thread feels a little like showing off and one upping others achievements and that's not for me. We've already seen comments like 'my list is nowhere as impressive as yours' and to me that's not what ultra running is about. I'm not 'mad' or 'crazy' to run ultras and I don't run them so I can stand out amongst my crowd or tell people I'm an ultra runner.
I run because I love the challenge of it and I love to be outdoors. That's it. The runs I'm proudest of aren't the races I'm done they're the ones when I took myself off with a pack and a map and fecked off for a day on a new trail. Just me, no one else and certainly not a need to track it with a Garmin, post the route to a website or list it for others to see.
As I said that's just me, each to their own that's what makes us individual
GKD
03/12/2012 at 13:17

Those solo adventures long or short are definitely what makes me tick. I plan to do far fewer organised events next year and spend more time exploring new places solo and with friends.

I am however more than a little attached to my Garmin, part of the enjoyment for me is to upload the GPS data to Strava and see how I faired against others who have run the same route / run the same ascents. 

03/12/2012 at 13:20
Has anybody else managed to come last in a race this year. I am the proud final finisher in the sdw100. Next year hoping not to come last in any races.
03/12/2012 at 13:29

Might have 

03/12/2012 at 13:41

I do like my Garmin, although on known routes I head out more and more without it, but on new routes its definitely come in use on occasion.

I agree with Alistair and Lirish about the whole heading off with map and compass for explorations, I just LOVE that kind of thing, I getting a buzz out of being self-sufficient and exploring and challenging myself with that, just to see where my two feet will take me.  BUT I can't deny I am a wee bit competitive too (with myself at least) and I do like company at times so races are great for that as most of my training is done solo due to home/logistical challenges.

03/12/2012 at 13:42

4th from last, best race of my year, ran every step of a 10k with a pal, it was his first ever organised run, 5k further than he had run before and pretty much the only thing in recent years he has set out to do and stuck to. He lost 3 stones to get to the start line, seeing him cross the finish was a fantastic reminder it is not about how far or fast you run and certainly not how far or fast you run compared to others.

03/12/2012 at 16:24

so as we were saying jelly babies CAN make the world look like a different place-especially if the middles are injected with ecstasy (promise i wont Mr Lirish-much)...

03/12/2012 at 17:00

Dont know about a report card, LLB but I think you've just bought a week's detention!

03/12/2012 at 17:33

Might as well lock the whole forum down!   

21 to 40 of 70 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.