24 hour race in belfast

181 to 200 of 469 messages
12/08/2010 at 23:06
Just checked the photos , they are super. Marty what are you doing in photo 6? you have the funniest face on you
13/08/2010 at 00:00

If anyone is interested in my report on the race you will find it on www.runireland.com
There is a link on the homepage. I would love to read anyone elses take on it , if anyone has anything written.

13/08/2010 at 15:56

FF thats a great report, I see at the end you said you drove to dublin and then stopped for nite, thats great going on the driving.i drove 20 miles and nearly fell asleep at the wheel.

13/08/2010 at 16:06

Agree fully with Robin - awesome Report Finn. I haven't written anything And if I were to, it would fail in comparison to yours Finn

13/08/2010 at 16:48

IM not great at putting things into words , I guess thats why I talk so much... I need the practice . It was only when Iooked back at the pictures that I could put names on all the faces. Most I remembered but others I got mixed up. YOu are all welded into my memory and I still see your bravery as you all ran on til the gong.

Id love to have some of the photos for myself. Does anyone know if you can save them from flicker or how do you get them?

I had to laugh at the birds eye view of everyone coming around at the end of the first lap. If you count everyone there is one short..that is me. I am still only half way around - trying to spare myself and folow the advice of run slow. Doh! under calculation methinks.

Whats up next for everyone? Will you all have another go at it next year? What might you do differently apart from bringing a bigger tent ?

13/08/2010 at 16:51

Finn what a great report almost brought a tear to my eye   Love your description of my running style now you know why i have been called Noddy since i was a child  

Hope all us ultra runners can i calls us that now  keep in touch on this fourm about what we are up to and hopfuly meet up again at a race.

Hope to get  back on the road at the weekend but nowhere near a track

13/08/2010 at 17:24

Id love that too Jim. I consider myself an ultrabunny now

One of my mates put this up on the Paris thread.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/146061/Gallery/duracell_bunny.jpg

16/08/2010 at 10:38
Anyone thinking about running the Causeway cost marathon or ultra at the start of October hope to run it now and give the Dublin marathon a miss this year.
16/08/2010 at 13:09

I'm up for doin the ultra Jim. Had planned to do the full last year, but fell through. My mate lives in Portstewart. He's thinking of doin the half at the moment, Hopefully I can talk him up to the ultra, although I kinda doubt it.

You are a proper ultrabunny Finn;) Did you have a good time in Wexford?

16/08/2010 at 13:59

Graeme a mate of mine did the marathon last year and said it was tough course but a great event,never done a off road marathon so it will be a nice change.

17/08/2010 at 08:52

Weather was lovely in wexford but was frustrating cos I felt like going for a few short runs but my toenails still wont let me put shoes on. I have the scissors at the ready today and am going to see if I can cut a window in the top to let my bigtoe out and see if It is any better.

Did everyone get toenail blisters? Is it an inevitablilty with ultra stuff?

I would love to do the Causeway but am afraid I have never run off road and fear I wouldnt manage it or end up injured from doing stuff my body just isnt used to.

Did you see the results of the Connemara 100 mile ? Mick Rice from Galway finished it in 14 hours 27 minutes. Thomas Maguires track 100 miles of 15:15 was got during the World 24 hour competition but thought this was truly a brilliant run on the roads.

17/08/2010 at 09:19

Yeah Micky Rice is a BULLET. I done the Race Directors Connemara Marathon in April and leaving us to the start line was none other than the aforementioned BULLET. Such a lovely bloke. He went on to run sub 4:30 for the ultra (39.3 miles) the following day!! I've wanted to do the Connemara 100 for the past 2 years. Next year it has to be hit.

No toenail blisters Finn - don't think I've ever had one. I usually wrap the toes individually and wear toe-socks. You've never ran off-road??? You have no idea what you're missing. It is so much fun Finn And after Belfast 24hr, you CAN manage anything.

I'm starting to get fully back into the swing of things, gave myself pretty much all last week off. Feels good to get some routine back.

17/08/2010 at 20:28

I fancy the Connemara 100 sometime but next year I definitley want to go back to the 24 hour again. Think I will try running tonight . Have

Did you get blisters anywhere Graeme?

18/08/2010 at 07:51

Ran a nice we 8 miles with my club on Monday night,had a we bit of pain in both knees but nothing to serious i hope

Will need to start thinking about getting a few long runs in if i am going to run the causeway ultra

Fair play to Robin who ran a 3 and half mile mountain race on Saturday

18/08/2010 at 09:06

Go Robin

Yes I guess it is time to stop shirking and living off the glory and get back out there. 
Weekend running exploits to be logged HERE.
Not in the humour to go to work today .Finally made it to 45. Catching up on Fred in more ways than one.

18/08/2010 at 09:35

Happy Birthday Finn - boy the past week has REALLY flown since your last birthday lol Hope you have a lovely day. No blisters anywhere thankfully. Think mainly as it was on track and dry underfoot. Once you throw wet feet into the equation, it aint so much fun for the feet 

Jim - hope the knee pain is nothing to worry about. Take it easy anyway. Good to hear Robin is back out there. Those mountain races are tough going.

Got a call from some bird at the Tooting Bec 24hr run at the end of Sept. I'm on a reserve list as it turns out it's a pretty popular run. Would not be disappointed if I didn't get to run it. Not sure my mind would be recovered enough to put it through that again

18/08/2010 at 10:43

happy birthday finn ,all the best people turn 45 my blisters have healed but still look a mess.As jim said ran mountain race on saturday as it was part of festival in the village I was staying at the weekend.Great run ,few guiness after. this was my celebratory drink after the 24 hour as didnt feel like a drink after it. My legs ,however were really sore on sunday,worse than after 24 hour. It s amazing the different muscles used when hills involved.Ran on monday with jim and club and dont feel too bad now.

Not sure what next big event is going to be , I think I will be missing causeway coast marathon.

18/08/2010 at 15:21

Happy Birthday Finn.

I've sat out doing anything this past week other than the WEE orienteering events in the parks in Belfast. Hoping to blitz the one around Botanic and queens thisevening. Good going doing Lurig Robin, it's a blaster of a mountain race, much too fast! I'm sure it did hurt on Sunday.

Going to start getting the miles in again this weekend. I've offered to marshal at the Donard-Commedagh mountain race, it's going to be epic!! part of both the IMRA and NIMRA champs. I will make the effort to do a long run whilst I'm halfway into the hills.

Next event is the Slieve Foye mountain trail in prep for the Mourne Mountain Marathon. I honestly can't wait till the MMM, it's my game and I haven't played it in nearly a year!! I always said it is the true meaning of 'f**ked' and I stand by it. A days mountain running with a pack, followed by an uncomfortable nights sleep much too close to another male and well undernurished, then you have to get up the next morning and do it all over again! Leathal in every meaning of the word!

You must be glutten for punishment Graeme, wanting to do another one soo soon!

18/08/2010 at 18:58

Thanks Guys.Would love to be able to do mountain running . Better get started on road hills first I guess. YOu will have to educate me for the future.

20/08/2010 at 18:48

Who wants their official time/lap record from the 24 hour?

Email me and I will send you the email address . Dont know much about computers but I dont think it is wise to put his email up here.You will get it on excel.

181 to 200 of 469 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.