24 hour race in belfast

201 to 220 of 469 messages
31/08/2010 at 21:05

Struggled to finish my marathon on Sunday. Pace wasnt the problem , more that my heart rate was higher than usual for the same pace. Probabaly a mix of not fully recovered but in truth it was probably more that I had no training down since Belfast.

Ended up having to run/walk a good bit in the last 6 miles. Bah!

So , diet started yesterday and training tomorrow and hopefully I will get on better next time.

What has anyone else got coming up ?

01/09/2010 at 09:55

Hey Finn - fair play to ya for gettin out there and notching up another marathon. What marathon were ya running?

I've been running, but only up to about 10 miles Need to get my butt in gear, just haven't really had the time to go long.

Have Waterside Half Marathon on 12th Sept and Causeway Coast Ultra on 2nd Oct. Those are the only certain races at the mo. Still on a reserve list for Tooting Bec 24hr race on 26-27 Sept. Need to find something else to keep me motivated through the autumn/winter. Any ideas?

01/09/2010 at 11:02

Well done Finn on running another marathon great stuff

I have had a bit of a nightmare since the 24hr race every time i run my knee and calf muscle are very sore must of done a bit of damage  not been over 10 miles myself due to this. Still hope to make the causeway ultra but need to be pain free in the next week or so i think if this is going to happen.I will then start to think about the plans for next year it will either be the ultra at Connemarra again or a spring marathon somewhere.

Graeme or club race on new years day race over the glens is a great start to year its a trail race round Glenarff ok its only 5.5 miles but its tough and you could always do a couple of laps before and after to make the distance up

01/09/2010 at 11:43
More mind games from jim - he will be on c'way ultra start line showing a novice ultra runner like myself how it's done.
01/09/2010 at 13:42

JIm what part of the wee North are you living?

Great therapist in belfast ( i think)- ultimate massage solutions is the name  of his practice. Has worked wtih tom Myers ( world leader in bodywork) and teaches internationally himself. Wont  feel  pleasant and pretty but he should sort you out. Cant for the life of me remember his name. Nice bloke.

01/09/2010 at 15:21

Thanks Finn for the offer but will just use the physio i have been using for a while now she great and even popped up the day of the 24hr run to give me a cheer on and see if i was alright.

HMM i know want me to run so you can beat me again  but there is no need for all these mind games

01/09/2010 at 17:11
lol Jim aka Uri Geller
02/09/2010 at 15:57

Finn, ye definitely are nuts! A marathon 1 month after the 24 hour?! Mental!

I ran a 5 miler last week. It was unbelievable the lack of speed in my legs! I had to push to be able to run faster downhill. Normally that's a case of just let the legs roll a bit faster (brain off brakes off!). I'm guessing it's residual from the 24 hour. Now I know why Jim was not in action!

I've been slackin to try leave meself ready for the Mourne Mountain Marathon in 2 weeks. The usual elites are entered but I hear that there are going to be a couple of last minute entries from some of the mountain running top guns. So it should be interesting. Doing a 16 km nav race this weekend in prep, we'll see how that goes before I take racing the MMM to serious!

02/09/2010 at 18:58

JIm. glad you have capable hands wrapped around your legs already . Physios can be super to help recovery  - especially when you make appointments and go to see them.

Comrades entry finally went through today so no excuse now. Better stop carb loading and start some regular training.

Best of luck with the MMM. When

When is the CWU?

Maybe next year I might get to line up with you elites.

16/09/2010 at 09:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89n6BIQdTI

What a lovely treat to see all you beautiful athletes again

Didnt we do well

GKD
16/09/2010 at 11:28

You did do well indeed, can you put names to the numbers?

How did you cope with the boredom? I can't imagine anything worse than endless loops of a track, unless it was 24 hours on a treadmill.

Edited: 16/09/2010 at 11:30
GKD
16/09/2010 at 19:25
Very inspirational stuff, well done to you all!!
16/09/2010 at 22:16
just watched the video brings it all back,funny I dont remember the pain in my feet.I will be back next year for the challenge and hope to bring a few others with me
16/09/2010 at 22:54

Lirisih . I didnt find it boring at all. ON the contrary there was always someone to have a chat  with or run or walk with. There was entertainment and encouragement all the time. The distance was always manageable in that you could always coax yourself to go to the next corner or the end of the next straight bit of another lap. I think this would have been harder on the open road where you would be on your own for long periods. Food drink and toilets were always nearby as well.

Im definitley going back.

GKD
17/09/2010 at 02:34
Well you have my deepest admiration for doing it, I know it's something I wouldn't be able to cope with, excellent effort
GKD
17/09/2010 at 07:23
Great clip brought back loads of  memories of a great 24hrs  Starting to get those voices in my head going you could do it again
17/09/2010 at 13:46

Yeah what a cool wee video LISTEN to the voices Jim, they're always right

Good luck with the MMM Jonny. I meant to do it last year and or this year. Maybe next year

I'm doing the 24hr in London next weekend. Should be er, interesting. Then the Causeway ultra the following weekend. My legs aren't talking to me right now. They're on strike!

Finn - Comrades!!!! Excellent stuff. Never too early to carb load;)

19/09/2010 at 20:10

Graeme good luck with the 24hr baby in London let know how you get on.

I still not entered the Causeway i have a couple of 20 milers done but my knee still hurts so i might have to think of the bigger picture for a change  even low a good mate of mine is doing and i would love to go round with him.

Finn Comrades will be amazing in am sure is it a up or down year they say the down is more painfull

19/09/2010 at 22:07
Best of luck Graeme. Hope it goes brilliantly.
20/09/2010 at 15:38
graeme good luck for 24 hour race in london .you certainly keeping up the events at present.I am unable to do causeway as will be away.Without that It is amazing how lack lustre I am at present as I have no big events to aim for in next couple of months.I need to get back to some long miles so I dont lose the endurance.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.