50 mile ultra in 6 weeks

Any tips for building endurance in the last few weeks?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
23/12/2011 at 22:44

I know I should probably just wait and wouldnt normally be bothered but had this race on our agenda for over 6 months now......Wouldnt be bothered if Tim wasnt running it but if I dont run I will be taxi on the day so will get to see my running partner set off on his first ultra and getting the buzz of finishing it later....Also with doing a 30+ mile recce mission of the course I will feel robbed if I dont get to run lol

24/12/2011 at 14:27
Well done my last training run before Christmas. I did slightly joke about a run tomorrow and the silence was deafening!

Hang in there Phill wish I had someone to train with on these dark, wet and cold mornings. I do like running but not the conditions right now

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Tim
24/12/2011 at 21:08

"I did slightly joke about a run tomorrow and the silence was deafening!"

Get yourself out man, just for a quick 10 miles or so....Wait till she has gone to kip, test out your new head torch.  

24/12/2011 at 23:29
Simillar icy silence to same proposition in the Stewart household! Mmm the desire to test out my new headtorch may well win through though!
25/12/2011 at 21:55
Yes, similar response here too, have only managed a couple of really short runs over last couple of days - both in dark with headtorch a 4.5-er and a 5 miler. 5km race in the morning but am desperate for something longer ... is going to have to wait though. Have parents here for another week - OMG which should make getting out easier but somehow not!! So am having a mini taper before final training burst and then the proper taper. I'm sure there must be a benefit in there somewhere???? Am going to go a little mad though I think!
27/12/2011 at 21:58

Well, got out last night in gail force winds and managed a whole 6.5 miles with no reaction in the knee....First time I have used headtorch and what a piece of kit, absolutely class! New waterproof/windproof jacket deffo keeps out the wind and rain, infact all my new running toys bought for xmas working a treat....Having to force myself to have a day off between runs to give the knee chance to recover but chomping at the bit.....Am actually thinking the Frostbite 50 may happen (well I might make the starting line anyway lol )....Hoping for a 10+ mile run with no reaction before New Year, if that happens then I reckon its game on.

28/12/2011 at 18:13
Well in Phil! Let's hope we see you there. I reckon there must be more than a few elves dedicated to the running gear section of santas workshop as the big man managed to sling a few useful goodies down my chimney also.
31/12/2011 at 16:39
Great news about the knee, fingers crossed we see you at the start then. So what is your new torch then? Am contemplating buying a new one but not sure yet.  Am in the midst of quite a taper - aaaaah - driving me nuts but not much I can do until visitors have gone.  Happy Hogmanay all
13/01/2012 at 21:01

New torch is the Alpkit Gamma......Was recommended off another runnersworld forum and having used it I reckon its a crackin piece of kit despite being cheap as chips

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma  

Update on the knee, well couldnt be better......3 weeks after the injury I honestly could not see how I would run this race......Over the last 3 weeks it has got better and better and I feel stronger every day.....Done a couple of 14 mile trail runs and another couple of 10+ mile road runs and heading out for a 20 miler on Monday evening just so I know I have one in my legs....

Missed 4 of the most vital weeks of preparation for the race and will have only managed 2 weeks of 40 to 50 mile mileage prep (the last two weeks) before starting to "taper" for final two weeks.....Seems mad "tapering" given how little running I have been doing....

Given my awful preparation my goal for this race is simply to finish within the cut off and not to re-injure the knee.....4 weeks ago I would have ripped your hand off to be running at all so to manage that would leave me absolutely buzzing......Hope everybody else's prep is going smoothly, looking forward to seeing you all at the start line

Phill

13/01/2012 at 21:21
Good luck, Phil. What date is the 50 again? Make sure you let us know how you go.
13/01/2012 at 21:38
Saturday the 28th Jan, will post if/when we get back and let you know how we got on.....Thanx for the good luck message, its much appreciated, starting to get really nervous, never started a race when I am actually unsure whether I can finish.......Just gonna stick to the "one foot infront of the other" mantra till I hit the finish or am confined to a stretcher ha ha

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.