Any Ultra Runners in Pembrokeshire or South Wales

Looking for other utra runners inthe wouth west wales area

81 to 90 of 90 messages
21/01/2015 at 21:03

What are those ???? for about the L100, jason?

I've done the L50, seren, which is reckoned to be the 'easier' half.

A very good idea to do the recces, especially the two (??!!?) night sections ...

21/01/2015 at 21:36

I don't know why, but it seems to convert my smileys into question marks-??

seren nos    pirate
21/01/2015 at 22:46

Thanks for doing the link for the penarth ultra.I'm looking forward to it,

Trex...its so far to the lakes and difficult to get away for the weekend we are only doing the longer two recce section . the first two sections to dalmain. I did the 50 in 2010 and 2011 so I am hoping that memory will help for those.. Also watching the video s

22/01/2015 at 07:45

Cheers JD looks VERY interesting

seren nos    pirate
12/04/2015 at 17:08

Hi all

been quiet on here for a while.....

just thought I would do a quick update of the penarth to ogmore ultra.....

it was great to see Moksheight at the beginning...... It was a well organised ultra with the buses arriving on time......

a bit cold and windy at the beginning waiting but I did predict the rain would stop and the sun come out at 8 am and I was right..

This ultra would be great for a first was well signposted and there was 5 checkpoints to break it down into small chunks and they had water, coke and some snacks...

seren nos    pirate
12/04/2015 at 17:15

The course itself was not what I was to follow the coastal route...which it i wore trail shoes.  i would have been better off in road shoes.....

most of the first 11.5 miles to porthkerry was on road and went through some uninspiring parts of Barry and Barry Island..

after Porthkerry it got a bit better but seemed to go through lots of caravan parks and took ages to get past Aberthaw powerstation where the view was a concrete wall for did shelter us from the wind a bit though.....

The last section from Llantwit Major to the end was well worth the was what I expect from a coastal path.beautiful views.little hidden coves and some steep up and downhills..really raised the spirits........

I would love to go down and run from llantwit to ogmore and back just for a training run...

it was also great if you wanted your family to be able to support you on route.......

so i would recommend this as long as you do not expect wonderful coastal trail the whole route........the checkpoint staff were brilliant....and it did run like clockwork....

the wind was the strongest i have run in all year and it was a headwind the whole way......but I dont mind the wind as long as its dry  

seren nos    pirate
12/04/2015 at 17:15

so what is everyone else up to

15/04/2015 at 20:05
Thanks for the course review Seren; that's certainly not one I fancy. There Llanwono HM route is great though - all trail. It was my anniversary anyway so couldn't do it; although I did take Thursday off to do the Taith Torfaen route. It's a brilliant route, if not a bit brutal!
seren nos    pirate
15/04/2015 at 22:01

we are planning on doing that sometime soon

On good friday we did the old coed morgannwg way.which goes from margam park, northwards and then across the forests to the Rhigos before dropping down to aberdare and then Merthyr......

The route is not always clear now.especially with all the felling in the forests........we had to take a few detours but ended up getting there in the end.although did 43 instead of the original 36

some wonderful views./ well worth doing

16/04/2015 at 08:39

Seren - a better run is to get the train to Pyle or Port Talbot and then run back to Barry. There's drop-out points at Llantwit and Rhoose if you want to knock-off a few miles. Pyle to Barry is about 35 miles including a couple of miles to get to the WCP from the train station

It's a much more inspiring run, the prevailing westerly wind is normally in your favour, water points at Portcawl, Methyr Mawr, Ogmore, Llantwit and the caravan parks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 90 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.