beginners guide to fell running..? help..?

14 messages
Dark Vader    pirate
23/10/2012 at 17:31

I need to get better at running on hills over this coming autumn and winter and would like to have a go at fell running purely as a training tool..   can someone recommend an 'easy' or at least 'less challeging' entry level fell running race or route..?  I suppose it doesn't to be an actual race, but a route that I could do on my own would be ok too.

I don't want something that will kill me...    but a decent kicking will be ok..  

Dark Vader    pirate
23/10/2012 at 17:43

ah-ha..  thanks for the web link...  well.. I'm based in the south, so would obviously need to travel up...    will have a look over the web site and see what's on offer...   thanks

Dark Vader    pirate
23/10/2012 at 17:45

Brutal..?  Sounds perfect...  I'll take a look... 

23/10/2012 at 20:45

Box Hill has a fell race in January - I kid you not! And it's quite the killer actually ... depending on whereabouts in the South you are, that is? The North Downs is full of killer hills actually ...

Dark Vader    pirate
23/10/2012 at 21:16

Excellent info..  thanks for that.

23/10/2012 at 21:23

Probably a stupid question but what's the difference between a fell race and a cross-country race? 

Is it it just the amount of climbing? and so does the Bath Hilly Half  count as a fell race? or is a bit easy compared to the more manly events in the Lake District?

23/10/2012 at 23:05

Colin,

XC is usually over a grassy (muddy) field... fell races are over rougher terrain and are up and down hills and sometimes with navigation (a common route is up and down a peak) They arent marked particularly although they are marshalled for safety obviously. XC is a big event where club members often get free entry and many events are team/relay races. Fell races are individual although there are some relays. Fell races are much tougher (although XC is bloody hard!!) and usually longer and require mountain rescue presence in many cases, whereas XC would not.

24/10/2012 at 09:50

XC is across, fell is up then back down. No?

Dark Vader    pirate
24/10/2012 at 12:37

I've been following some of the Sky Races this summer...  those are often literally a 1km or climb straight up a steep trail..   steep being maybe 40%+ incline...  very exciting to see and amazing at how these people are able to get traction to move forward at speed...

24/10/2012 at 13:13

If you ever find your way North and are anywehre near the Peak District give me a shout, I am no expert but know a couple of routes that tick the 'fell run' experience without the need for lung and leg transplants at the end (well certainly at the pace I attempt them anyway).

26/10/2012 at 13:29

I am doing the JCB mud run, it looks fantastic.

www.thejcbmudrun.co.uk

WiB
26/10/2012 at 13:32

It doesn't.

WiB
26/10/2012 at 18:46
Fifty quid? That's a bit steep!
29/10/2012 at 13:46
Alex Wood 13 wrote (see)

I am doing the JCB mud run, it looks fantastic.

www.thejcbmudrun.co.uk

Reminds me of my time as a Army Physical Training Instructor,[no thanks]

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.