Best value desert races

9 messages
04/12/2011 at 19:30
Are there actually any that cost less than the price of a decent car?
04/12/2011 at 19:34
Isn't most of the cost in getting there?
04/12/2011 at 19:41

http://www.namibdesertchallenge.com/

this looks pretty good value and heard lots of great things about it.

05/01/2012 at 13:00

Oooh that looks fab James...probably shouldn't have looked!

TheEngineer    pirate
11/01/2012 at 17:39
Have a look at the Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon. Shoestring affair, entry is c. £1k depending how the Rand is doing (and what 'extras' you want), flights to Jo'burg can be had for £5-600 if you're canny. Small field but I've only heard good things!
13/01/2012 at 16:10
How about Sandbaggers Gobi Challenge? It cost £1650 last time I looked, half price of MdS. I am considering it in 2 years time.  
13/01/2012 at 16:41

Gobi is meant to be amazing but I think getting out there is quite pricey. Couple of vets I spoke to said that with transfers its about the same as MdS. Was on my list....at the minute though just not got the time or budget to train for one of these beauties. So Jurassic Challenge in Dorset here I come!

TheEngineer    pirate
17/01/2012 at 18:41
And if you want to do a RacingthePlanet one, Iceland should be the cheapest to get to... 4th August next year?
11/02/2012 at 11:55
the Kalahari Extreme Marathon is a great race and good value, Namibian Desert Challenge is also a fantastic race but they have changed the format slightly so now you don't carry any of your food, so although I loved the event and its well organised isn't quite the challenge it was. Beyond the Ultimate are organising 4 events, one of which will be in Namibia next year, there is the Jordan Ultra in September a stunning location. Racing the Planet put on great events but I personally think they are very expensive.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.