Blister Prevention

Thoughts and advice on this sensitive subject..

1 to 20 of 33 messages
29/03/2013 at 20:04

I suffer with sore feet on occasions and at least three of my long distance events have been marred by horrendous blisters.

I have tried most things and had found Hydropel worked well until it was discontinued. I have just ordered Drymax socks on a fellow runners recommendation.

What are everyone elses top tips.

29/03/2013 at 20:30
I had a bad spell for maybe 6 months after one really wet run when I blistered, seems once you have a bad bout they keep coming back, I tried everything and found Vaseline with toe-toe socks or Injinji socks did the trick for me. Been free of blisters now in my last 5 or 6 marathons.
29/03/2013 at 20:39

not a personal recommendation but a quick 'google' revealed something called 'gurney goo' which is apparently similar, some say better, than hydropel

29/03/2013 at 20:43

I'm generally fine upto 50 mile but beyond that my soles get maserated then blistered. The pain really tests your mental resolve.

Never heard of that Steve I will have a look.

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 20:45
GKD
29/03/2013 at 20:43
http://debsonrunning.blogspot.co.uk/

Oddly enough I was just reading about Debs Martin Consanis blog about how she'd found a solution to her blistering problems, definitely worth a read
GKD
29/03/2013 at 21:32

So far I've found Vaseline plus twin-skinned socks works for me, including in some extremely wet races with my feet wet practically from start to finish - but I've only tested it up to 50 miles and to a little under 10 hours, so I can't say whether the combination would continue to work for longer times.

I do tend to wear debris giaters as well, to minimise bits getting into the shoes.

29/03/2013 at 21:34

That was an interesting read. I have done alot of what she describes and can pretty much manage toe blisters now.

The main problem is the soles. Perhaps i could coat them in industrial strength silicone.

29/03/2013 at 21:38
Bridgedale wool socks work for me. There's something about wool which doesn't seem to rub, even when wet.
29/03/2013 at 22:25

Peronel: I can't wear wool next to my skin - even Merino wool stuff starts to itch after a fairly short time.

30/03/2013 at 06:42

Dill - You may already have tried Lanacane, if not probably worth a try, suspect it may be very similar to Hydropel, just not marketed as sports specific. I use both the gel and the powder and find both great. Lanacane is in most supermarkets and chemists, from time to time t even turns up in pound shops, which is great as it can be a little pricey.

I have not tried this but it was heartily recommended on a podcast I listen too Squeaky Cheeks, not sure about UK availability though.

30/03/2013 at 08:03
Debra: feet are wierd - synthetics leave mine a sweaty, pulpy mess.

This is an odd one, but I know people who swear by leaving a bar of soap in water overnight then rubbing the soapy watery goo into their feet come morning.
Edited: 30/03/2013 at 08:03
Dark Vader    pirate
30/03/2013 at 08:33

I stopped getting blisters when I started using DryMax socks and also stopped using orthotics..

DryMax socks are just amazing...    not only for blister avoidance but for generally keeping your feet healthy.   Run through a puddle, you get wet...  and then 10 minutes later your feet feel dry again...

Since I started using DryMax trail socks I haven't had a single blister.

30/03/2013 at 08:47

Thanks Alistair and yes i have tried Lanacane on my toes during shorter races with good results not sure its heavy duty enough for the longer stuff.

I had it sussed with Hilly ultra light socks and Hydropel on my soles. Change socks and reapply cream ever 25 miles. Sorted until they stopped making hydropel.

I have also tried Vaseline, Body Glide liquified powder, Gehwol and kinesio taping. Preying Drymax socks will work for me.

Dark Vader    pirate
30/03/2013 at 09:00

Dill..   I hope the socks work for you..  blisters are big frustration.  I tried most of the things you have..   I used to spend about an hour preparing my feet before a big run...  now..  put on socks and shoes and go.  No preparation at all.   DryMax worked immediately for me...  I hope they do the same for you too.

30/03/2013 at 15:01

Dill - I don't particuarly have issues anyway so might be the reason that Lanacane worked for me at a 24HR race last year, just one good application at the start didn't change socks or shoes and didn't reapply. 

30/03/2013 at 18:23
Ive previously had problems with blisters but escaped from the Thames path 100 without even a hint of one and my feet weren't even wrinkly. The only thing that I did different was to wear drymax socks. I don't want to jump on the bandwagon but they must be the best 6.95 I've ever spent.
30/03/2013 at 18:47

I've read a lot about American ultra runners pre-taping the soles of their feet with duct tape. Real B&Q silver duct tape. Never tried it, never needed to yet. Agree that after a bad bout of blistering the skin is more fragile for months afterwards even when it's apparently long since healed. The last bad toe blister I had, the skin was still tender over six months after it looked as if it was back to normal...

30/03/2013 at 20:27
For me good quality thin socks, shoes that are a 1/2 size too big and a new addition getting my feet looked after by a chiropodist. Just finished my 3rd ultra hm55 without a single blister
30/03/2013 at 20:32

WE get something called Hirschlag here in Switzerland, Scholl make it so sure it must also be available in England too. Coming from the queen of blisters, its the only thing that I have found to work in all 4 of the marathons I have run. I get blisters from everything, not just running, so believe me, I speak from experience.

31/03/2013 at 14:33

I know one guy who keeps coming back to the Thames Ring, and never gets a blister.  I probed him on his methods, and he told me the following:

He treats his socks with talc and changed them every 25 miles. 

He uses a mid foot plant while running to avoid friction between foot and shoe. 

He selects shoes with a fit that will avoid movement relative to the foot generally. 

He modifies his shoes so that they drain, and replaces the laces with bungee cords so that they can be put on and taken off quickly. 

He puts insoles in his shoes a size to small, so that if when his feet move inside the shoe, it is the insole and not the foot that gets rubbed. 

He concluded by suggesting that I have a play around with these methods, so see what works for me. 

1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.