British Ultrafest 48HR

Training and racing advice for 48HR track event please ...

21 to 40 of 43 messages
28/10/2012 at 19:36

Alistair, no probs. glad to help

28/10/2012 at 19:45

if you start 15th would you like me to come there on 16th Ali? i can book that day off

28/10/2012 at 19:51

Loulabell - First awesome, totally awesome, thanks. Second up to you, if it were me I'd pump for the 16th as that runs into a long weekend. Again on hand to reciprocate as required. 

28/10/2012 at 20:08

Alistair - Well, i'm up for it for the whole 48 hours if you want mate Seriously - I reckon it will be a real adventure....

As for reciprocation...well, maybe - but I didn't offer for that reason

28/10/2012 at 20:38

Rocker - Crew chief t-shirt design on its way to the printers with your name on it! It will be awesome to have someone record my decline into the abyss and or journey to transendence! 

I am really looking forward to getting some track time with the 6 dayers, how awesome are they? Particuarly hope William Sichel runs (www.williamsichel.co.uk) as he is a bit of a hero.

Isn't this what is awesome about ultra's huh, from post on training to two crew in a matter of days! 

28/10/2012 at 20:43

The six day runners come across as being surprisingly normal Alistair.  This is an event that is going to be very demanding from a mental standpoint.  Expect the same kind of problems that people have with the GUCR in spades.  Half the battle is going to be identifying where the mental stress points are going to come, and being ready for them. 

28/10/2012 at 21:18

Ben - I think you are spot on there and that s very much the point of entering to really test my mental strength in the build up to MdS.

28/10/2012 at 22:26
I chatted to someone during the 24 hour races who has done some 6 day-ers. There was me thinking they might do 30-40 miles a day and have a nice meal and sleep but he was saying people will run about 18 hours a day , not sure what he did but he said you learn a lot about yourself and if is quite a spiritual journey
29/10/2012 at 07:27

Alistair i think it will be a great event and as you say , total journey into the unknown for sure but as Hellen has said above you are goig to get a lor of return from the experience as in learning about yourself , mentally and physically. it  surely cant give you anything other than positives to take away and use in MDS. im looking forward to being there.

07/03/2013 at 16:34

Best of luck with this. I would also like to do one but havign recently finished a 24 hour , my feet were in shreds. the legs would have gone further I reckon.

Next year I might do a 48 hour. My thoughts are .... have a look at the distances that people are doing and work out what needs to be covered day 1 and day 2. If you aim to cover most of it on day 1, I think it coud be soul destroying to have to walk the entire day 2. So my plan would be to do a very conservative run/walk that would have you still able to run on the second day. Check some 48 huor results to see how people perform day 1 v day 2 and also check ultrunR.com for advice.
I reckon if you ccan keep your feet from getting blistered or in bad bother , that your body will manage the 48 hour very well.

Best of luck .

07/03/2013 at 19:51

Fizziofinn - Thanks, feet wise I am hopeful not really had any issues in events so far. Pacing will try and follow, with the help of my support team, the "start off slow and just when I think I am going too slow, slow down some more approach".

Distance, that's the real question mark at this stage, I have a distance in mind but need to do some research to get a handle on how aspirational it is or isn't as a target.

10/03/2013 at 20:53

Alistair, I'm thinking of entering the 6-Day race Bit of a 'rapidly-approaching-40' crisis

17/03/2013 at 16:56

The 48 hour looks interesting. Might be up for that If I can get the time off of work.

17/03/2013 at 17:04

MrsMac- I hear you there my 'rapidly approaching 40' event is the MDS in 2014. The 48HR, if successful will be a stepping stone to a 6 day race for me.

Norseman_dve - Be great to see you there if you can ge the time.

17/03/2013 at 20:12

Alistair thanks mate, done a 24 hour last year and that was after only having 8 hors sleep in the previous 48 hours so didn't really run as well as I would have liked.

Oxford isn't too far up the road from me

I've got the big 50 comming at the end of the year  not quiet sure where the time has gone.

17/03/2013 at 20:39

norseman_dave, I think we will be in good company, the few names I know from the entrants list http://britishultrafest.com/entrants/ have hit a few age milestones too! 

17/03/2013 at 20:55

I have made inquires about doing the 48 hour race.

I live in Oxford and it would be silly to let such an event past by without getting involved.

18/03/2013 at 17:47

waccyrace - Great, see you there!

19/03/2013 at 08:34

I'm tempted by the fun-run option. But if I don't go for it I would happily offer my support alongside my ultra-chums Loulabel and Rocker.

19/03/2013 at 19:21

ultrachums r us, be great to see you there Tiago, I am henceforth going to think of this as a 2 day ultra party albeit a running themed one with an odd buffet! 

21 to 40 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.